Does an FFL need to ship a handgun overnight?

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
This is probably more of a Fed law question, but by law does an FFL in MA have to ship a handgun via USPS "Express Mail" or can they use a cheaper shipping method like "Priority?" I called one FFL and they said it had to go overnight, but it was not clear if that was law or just the particular FFL's policy.

Basically I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get a handgun from an FFL in MA to an FFL in GA. I realize that I can ship it myself via "next day" service at a common carrier, but UPS wants $75 bucks. [shocked]

I'm not aware of any restrictions on method of shipment wrt USPO and FFLs!

The overnight air thing is strictly a POLICY of UPS and FedEx due to employee theft.

Here's the section from the USPS DMM (Section 12.1 in case this webpage doesn't get you directly there):

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065405

That's just your FFL's policy as far as I know.

This is why I like having an FFL for oubound transfers even if you don't legally need one--USPS Priority Mail with insurance and delivery confirmation is only $15 or so. (Add another $20-30 for the FFL and it's still cheaper than UPS.)

Excellent. Thanks all - I assumed it was just this particular FFL's policy but I wanted to make sure before I called 50 FFLs. I'll check out Callaghan's.

[thumbsup]

For future reference: Callaghan's = $35 bucks flat rate shipped with all paperwork included. Sweetness.

Back
Top Bottom