Does an appointment for renewal count as beginning my renewal application?

short version of my question: have I "applied for renewal" by requesting an appointment or is my renewal not initiated until my appointment?

more info:
1 My town requires an appointment to be scheduled for renewal. At the appointment the applicant arrives with all of their renewal application materials.
2 Before my expiration I requested an appointment.
3 The appointment will however be after my expiration.
4 Massachusetts provides that "if the holder applies for renewal prior to the expiration of the FID card or LTC- the card shall remain valid after the expiration date on the card for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied"

So the question: is the request for an appointment enough to qualify as applying for renewal?

Logically I've taken the first step in my town's renewal process but I'm hoping for a little more than that to stand on.

thanks - I searched renewals a few times and couldn't find anything on this.

Sorry but there is no recourse for them go past the 40 day statutory limit so they simply do what they want

The extension of your old LTC past expiration is only triggered by your application being entered into the system so if your appointment is after expiration then you are out of luck

Sorry but there is no recourse for them go past the 40 day statutory limit so they simply do what they want
thanks - the 40 days target doesn't bother me. Once I've applied for renewal I'm fine based on the MGL allowance for the LTC to remain valid until I am approved or declined. they can take as long as they like

thanks - the 40 days target doesn't bother me. Once I've applied for renewal I'm fine based on the MGL allowance for the LTC to remain valid until I am approved or declined. they can take as long as they like
No, I edited my post to be clear on that

The extension is ONLY triggered if the licensing officer enters your application into the system before your license expires - that won't happen if your appointment is after that date.

do you own any good guns? i'll do you a favor and hold them for you until you get out of jail.
Throw a sarcasm tag on posts like this (/s) - not everyone knows the rules like some of us here do

@Smith71 - unless you can get them to enter your application (unlikely) then you need to leave the guns in the safe after your license expiration until you receive your new LTC.
You are fine with them locked up in your house and you get a one shot deal on a civil offense for carrying on an expired license (Do not do this as it will cause the confiscation and loss of all of your guns)

Throw a sarcasm tag on posts like this (/s) - not everyone knows the rules like some of us here do

@Smith71 - unless you can get them to enter your application (unlikely) then you need to leave the guns in the safe after your license expiration until you receive your new LTC.
You are fine with them locked up in your house and you get a one shot deal on a civil offense for carrying on an expired license (Do not do this as it will cause the confiscation and loss of all of your guns)
thanks - is locked at home really ok? I can also secure them at my house in NH where constitutional carry applies thank you

thanks - the 40 days target doesn't bother me. Once I've applied for renewal I'm fine based on the MGL allowance for the LTC to remain valid until I am approved or declined. they can take as long

thanks - is locked at home really ok? I can also secure them at my house in NH where constitutional carry applies thank you
You can also stop telling the world about it. Jack.

If memory serves... I got a receipt when I dropped off my application. Nothimg had been entered into the computer at that point. But that was in 2020 covid times.

If memory serves... I got a receipt when I dropped off my application. Nothimg had been entered into the computer at that point. But that was in 2020 covid times.
Yeah that’s a useless receipt for the purposes of license grace period 🙂

If it’s not the MIRCS receipt it can say anything it wants, but it’s not in accordance with MGL. Your PD won’t come seize your guns but a dealer won’t sell you ammo on it.
I just looked at it; It has a DCJIS logo and it reads 'serves as proof of the date of submission' and it it refers to chapter 284 with language that states '...who submit a renewal application to their licensing authority prior to... '

I just looked at it; It has a DCJIS logo and it reads 'serves as proof of the date of submission' and it it refers to chapter 284 with language that states '...who submit a renewal application to their licensing authority prior to... '

Good to go then! That means they’ve entered it into the system.

Good to go then! That means they’ve entered it into the system.
I just read the statutes and I'm not really sure why you think the words apply and submit refer to the licensing authority as opposed to the licensee. As a licensee I can't enter anything imto the computer. I can only submit my application to the licensing authority which is what the statute seems to require. But hey, what do I know?

I just read the statutes and I'm not really sure why you think the words apply and submit refer to the licensing authority as opposed to the licensee. As a licensee I can't enter anything imto the computer. I can only submit my application to the licensing authority which is what the statute seems to require. But hey, what do I know?
The way you had initially described your experience, it was unclear whether they have you a simple "hey we've got your app" receipt, or if it was the actual DCJIS receipt that showed they'd entered it in their system. It sounds like everyone's on the same page, now.

I’m not a lawyer, but this may be one of those law vs what happens in practice. 140 sec 131 says: “If the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied.”

Does that mean you dropped off or PD entered into MIRCS? Either I can see keeping you safe owning weapons at home, but if you’re carrying in not your town and are stopped, is a random letter going to suffice that no one can verify because no renewal app has been entered into MIRCS? Dealers are looking for the DCJIS receipt and in their risk aversion, aren’t going to accept anything else.

So seeing what happens in practice is where I’m drawing my conclusions from. Regardless, you have the right receipt and if anyone was curious, they could verify your renewal has been started.

The MIRCS receipt can only be generated at the PD AFTER they enter your renewal, so that receipt is the "real deal" for the unlimited grace period to do anything legal with your firearms . . . carry, shoot them, buy/sell, buy ammo. You MUST have the receipt with you and your expired LTC during that time to prove your status.

Some stores won't deal with you with the MIRCS receipt, that's their choice. Don't expect any box store to deal with you during that period.

If you have the receipt and a dealer (or you FTF) creates an eFA-10 transaction, it will go thru. NOTE: Once your new LTC (and new PIN) is created by FRB (and before you receive it in hand), your expired LTC #/PIN will NOT work in the eFA-10 portal. Hopefully, it also means that you should have your new LTC in-hand very shortly unless your PD is sleeping on a pile of LTCs.

who have I told? I'm asking question on discussion board with a screen name?
No offense intended. There are those on the "other side" that are looking at what we do. I've posted several times that we should stock up on guns that can't be traced to us which has probably put me on a list. Jack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom