• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does a muzzle brake / compensator actually make any difference for an AR15?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Does it actually make any difference to accuracy or follow up shots to have a device on the barrel, or does it just annoy everyone else who happens to be at the range?

I used to have a HBAR 20" AR15, which had no muzzle brake or compensator. It seemed to me that it didn't have any problem with muzzle flip. But a 16" carbine with pencil barrel might be a different situation..

Does it actually make any difference to accuracy or follow up shots to have a device on the barrel, or does it just annoy everyone else who happens to be at the range?

I used to have a HBAR 20" AR15, which had no muzzle brake or compensator. It seemed to me that it didn't have any problem with muzzle flip. But a 16" carbine with pencil barrel might be a different situation..
It depends on the brake and the the rate of fire. Some are more effective than others.

Ignoring FA, if you can say "Mississippi" between your shots, then you are going to see the benefit less, though it may be a cause and effect thing. You might shoot slower because it requires longer to re-acquire your sight picture (boldly assuming you aren't pulling the trigger twice with one sight picture).

I think it was Supermoto who quipped that "double tap" is "when you don't care where your second shot goes." If you are doing it right, you do, but the ability to get back on target quickly is a function of how well the barrel behaves which brings us back to the prior statement - depends.

I have a stock RRA AR-15 (m4 without the fun switch) and it shoots as fast as I can with any center-fire rifle with optics. (About 2 per second.).

I have a very hard time imagining a situation where this would not be more than sufficient.

I would love to see a comparison of the various flash suppressors, compensators, and muzzle brakes, to see their real-world effectiveness. How do MA guys pick one & have it pinned/welded to your barrel, without doing a comparison to know if it's really the device you want? When picking the upper for my group-buy lower, I actually went with a barrel with a target crown, versus trying to blindly pick out something to thread on & have welded permanently.

I have seen some improvement in the ability to keep shots within a combat effective zone at 25 yards with my phantom brake. Trigger control plays just as big of a role as well tho. I can pull off 5-6 rounds in 2 secs and stay within center mass. No travis haley but who is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a stock RRA AR-15 (m4 without the fun switch) and it shoots as fast as I can with any center-fire rifle with optics. (About 2 per second.).

I have a very hard time imagining a situation where this would not be more than sufficient.

Good thing you don't shoot competitions where speed makes a difference

I would love to see a comparison of the various flash suppressors, compensators, and muzzle brakes, to see their real-world effectiveness. How do MA guys pick one & have it pinned/welded to your barrel, without doing a comparison to know if it's really the device you want? When picking the upper for my group-buy lower, I actually went with a barrel with a target crown, versus trying to blindly pick out something to thread on & have welded permanently.

Here is one I did

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the brake and the the rate of fire. Some are more effective than others.

I'd say it depends more on whether or not the shooter is even able to make accurate follow-up shots in the first place. In theory a comp will get a shooter back on target faster. Whether or not that matters depends A LOT on the shooter and the type of shooting.

I'd say it depends more on whether or not the shooter is even able to make accurate follow-up shots in the first place. In theory a comp will get a shooter back on target faster. Whether or not that matters depends A LOT on the shooter and the type of shooting.
That's what I said, but I was pointing out that it is a circular problem. If you are doing it right, you will be slower with a gun that rises/moves more, but that assumes you are doing it right and have reached the limits of whatever you have.

That's what I said, but I was pointing out that it is a circular problem. If you are doing it right, you will be slower with a gun that rises/moves more, but that assumes you are doing it right and have reached the limits of whatever you have.

Yes, and although I have nothing to back it up I'd guess that very few are "doing it right." For the average shooter a comp is just a noisemaker. (Which is fine, nothing wrong with making some noise.)

I'm not seeing a huge amount of difference between them. Which did you prefer?

Actually there is a significant difference, tiny bit of movement at the muzzle is a huge spread down range. This test was done shooting the A zone at 50 yards with out trying to drive the gun. I tried to stand upright with my weight on my heels, trying to get as much muzzle movement as possible, letting the gun do the work and not me. You can hear the difference when I shoot 3 shots. Most brakes will seem to do OK with 2 shots, 3+ really seems to bring out the difference

The SJC and Custom were significantly better

Back
Top Bottom