• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does a fixed stock still need to be pinned?

Hello All,

I recently purchased a used M&P 15-22 and the seller gave me a Magpul MOE (MAG480) stock with it.
Original stock seems to be the collapsible one but it has a pin in it to make it legal in CT. It was originally purchased from Hoffman's so that must have been a S&W factory installed pin.
The Magpul stock is of a fixed kind and would be secured to the tube by a screw.

Question is: does it still require a pin to make me legal?

My thinking is that even with that stock secured in the fully collapsed position it will be longer than most of the "others" that are being sold in CT.

Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

you Say the stock is ‘fixed’ yet refer to it in the ‘fully
Collapsed position’. Which is it? Fixed of collapsible?

Fixed stock isn't collapsable. Slide that baby on your buffer tube and secure it with the 1 screw that is supplied. Maybe a bit of loctite on the screw so it doesn't work itself out. No need to pin anything as it is a fixed length, secured with the screw. Make sure your buffer tube is the correct type, milspec or commercial. They are not interchangeable. Good luck

I was hoping I didn't have to pin anything but was just asking to make sure. It's CT after all, you never know.

I actually called a gunsmith and he claimed I needed to have the pin just because the law says so. Unless he wasn't clear on what I was talking about.

I did measure the tube and it is MilSpec size.

Thank you very much.

Another question:
Does that rifle have to be a certain length? With the new stock installed all the way in it would make it couple of inches shorter than the original.

I did find that under NFA it must have at least 16" barrel (check) and be at least 26" total length (check) but wondering if there is more that I need to be aware of.

Last edited:
SMYKE,

The gun must have an overall length greater than 26".

Other than that, you are perfectly clean with either stock. (the pinned original, or the fixed magpul).

You have asked if a fixed stock needs to be pinned. Its kind of a dumb question. But certainly not necessarily of a dumb person. Ha.

We were all new at this at one time. The law says that telescoping or folding stocks are prohibited. (essentially, I'm giving you the abbreviated version).
You pin them to stop them from being able to telescope or fold.

So if you have a fixed stock, there is nothing to pin. No reason to pin.
Hope this helps.

Just a question. Are you doing this to a pre 2013 ban AR, that you registered??

Because if you are. NONE OF THIS MATTERS.

After the 2013 ban went into effect, your gun became an assault weapon. Legally owned, if you registered it. That means you can now install PRE-BAN features on it.
So you can put a true telescoping or folding stock in the gun because it is already an assault weapon in the eyes of CT law. It can't become any more of an AW if you put a telescoping stock, threaded bbl, flash hider, or bayonet lug on it.

Everyone in CT that bought a post-94-ban style AR made between 1994 and 2013 and registered it, can convert their AR to preban configuration and be legal.

SMYKE,

Its kind of a dumb question. But certainly not necessarily of a dumb person. Ha.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. ;)

In my mind I had it figured out but I did call a gunsmith to ask about it and he told me I needed to have the fixed stock still pinned. So that threw me off.
Maybe he just wanted the $50 he was going to charge me, or I wasn't explaining correctly what I was trying to do.

The last thing I wrote is actually the most important.

There are no ARs in CT that need to have their stock pinned anymore.

If you own a pre94 gun. then it never needed to be pinned.

If you own a 94-2013 gun, and registered it, then its a registered assault weapon per CT law and can be converted to a pre-ban configuration.

I know several people who sold their plain muzzled AR uppers to MA people and bought pre-ban style uppers after the new ban was passed in 2013.

So again. THERE IS NO REASON TO PIN IN CT!!

Ha. Everything I wrote above doesn't apply to the 15-22. I guess I failed at reading comprehension. Ha. Your gun isn't really an AR.
It applies to centerfire ARs that have been registered because they were post 94 guns.
(99% Pre-94 guns don't need to be registered, the other 1% should have been registered in 1994)

So your gun, a rimfire, is subject to the conditions of the "old" law. That means one evil feature (pistol grip) is allowed. So your gun needs to look like the traditional "post ban" guns, which means 1) fixed stock, 2) no threaded muzzle 3) no bayonet lug.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom