"Documentary" on genecide

KMaurer

NES Member
Screamers is a 2006 film that seems to be making the rounds of some of the "trendy" venues again. According to the director, it's about "exposing the denial of all genocide, Armenia, the Holocaust, Cambodia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda, the Iraqi Kurds and the current horror in Darfur. It is about making sure the same critical message George Clooney and Don Cheadle are 'screaming' about is heard, that these atrocities 'never happen again.'" Of course, there's not much chance of it being taken that seriously by anyone who knows how many beans make five. If the mention of Clooney wasn't enough of a clue, one only needs to consider that, while Cambodia gets mentioned, the two biggest butchers in human history get mysteriously glossed over. (Probably just an oversight or a lack of sufficient time.) There's also the rather predictable solution advocated, namely disarming the peasants who would be the likely targets of any future genocidal ambitions. If only guns were limited to the proper authorities, these things would never happen. While the director is an Armenian, she seems to have adopted the mind set of so many Jews who act as if the Shoah would never have happened if only their parents and grandparents had been more respectful and subservient to the legal authorities. Of course, I'm probably biased because, while Hitler probably got some of my family members I don't know their names or exact relations, unlike those that 'Uncle Joe' got.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom