Doctors Asking "Do you feel safe at home?"

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I feel much safer now that everyone knows how to handle and shoot guns. It was a little nerve wracking being the only shooter until my daughters were old enough to learn the way of the gun.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've only been asked at the ER,first time after the question I sat there while a huh/what thought went thru my head then the light broke thru answer yes and all's right with the world.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i SHOULD say "yes, mostly, unless my wife is on a tear..."

but then i would fear him saying back "well, just hit her with your purse!"

[smile]

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This. Or, even more simple: "Here's your forms back..."
And good luck finding a practice that isn't eventually going to start asking those questions.

Maybe start seeing a vet? Same drugs and a shit ton cheaper! I just got my parvo check-up last week and I am CLEAN! [rofl]

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm less concerned with doctors asking those questions than with the PA inputing the responses into their ever-so-secure permanent medical record database.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
All our Dr.s are in the Lahey Health system. I'm starting to think it's a Lahey thing. At least they aren't asking about gunz at home.
A few months ago when I made a couple of unwanted ER visits same I got asked the same thing. I think its a "mandated reporter" thing with ER staff more than anything else.

-Mike

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plate of shrimp moment... getting threads crossed... this'll give you nightmares

Last edited by a moderator:

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
If you don't feel safe because you wife beats you it's no wonder you have Erectile Dysfunction!

But then again some people need a good beating to get erect in the first place!

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys are all paranoid. We have TOP government agencies, like the NSA, who are LEADERS in cybersecurity.

Wait! on 2nd thought...

Last edited by a moderator:

Win

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My doctor asked me if my wife abused me. I chuckled thinking that my doctor was joking but my doctor insisted that I answer. My doctor was telling me that while women are less likely to be physically abusive they can be emotionally abusive. I assured my doctor that I was fine.

Last edited:

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm asked that every single time I see any health care provider at Lahey,, my standard answer is " I'm pretty sure the Cat is not a threat,,,unless I forget to feed her.

dlarge

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Huh. Our facility is actually called an "Emergency Department." Never thought twice about using "ED".

Anyhow... ;-)

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
My doctor asked me if my wife abused me. I chuckled thinking that my doctor was joking but my doctor insisted that I answer. My doctor was telling me that while women are less likely to be physically abusive they can be emotionally abusive. I assured my doctor that I was fine.
If he insisted on an answer, I would have said she sexually abuses me, not enough though, I love it and want more.

My standard answer when in any hospital to "do you feel safe at home?" is " a lot safer than this FXCKING place" It usually shuts them up from asking other stupid questions.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If he insisted on an answer, I would have said she sexually abuses me, not enough though, I love it and want more.

My standard answer when in any hospital to "do you feel safe at home?" is " a lot safer than this FXCKING place" It usually shuts them up from asking other stupid questions.
The best was when I went into the ER a few months ago for a racing heart and high blood pressure, both previously undiagnosed in any capacity. One of the ER nurses had the gall to ask me "So why did you stop taking your blood pressure medication?"

At that moment I wanted to just yell out "Well, if you ****ing bothered to actually listen to what I said to you 30 seconds ago, you'd realize that I've never been on any blood pressure medication in my life, but no, that might take too much effort, you know, to even speed listen- shit I have ADD and I would have still remembered that, and you're not that much older than I am. " Thankfully at the moment I was too concerned about my own health to actually let her retardation get to me, but then I remembered it later when I left the hospital and I was thinking to myself... that's the dumbest shit I've ever experienced in a hospital. I could write my entire medical history on two sides of a cocktail napkin, that's how uncomplicated it is.

I mean I realize that, 75% of the people that come into these ERs in the middle of the night are Section 8 dowanna workas or pill popping/h shooting retards, but if you're going to throw "institutional shade" against patients, please get a clue before doing so.

Note for those reading: This isn't a generalized insult against doctors and nurses, or anything like that. There are some great people in the field, etc. But much like the situation with police, you get a few people where you leave the interaction thinking "it's a good thing not everyone in this field acts like this, otherwise our entire society would be completely ****ed. "

-Mike

Last edited:

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
A few years back I took my wife to a headache doctor in Brookline (my wife has had chronic headaches for almost 15 years). She likes me at these type of appointments as I often think of follow-up questions that can be helpful, etc. The doctor actually booted me out of the room to ask her this and for most of the appointment. This particular doctor struck both of us as a lib always looking for a victim[thinking]. Not surprisingly she never went back.

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Every time we take illegals to the ED, the nurses always ask that same question. They also ask if the patient has had any recent travel outside of the country. Mind you, the patients are illegals aliens in handcuffs that just entered the U.S. as little as an hour prior.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel far safer at home than here, considering the death rate due to hospital and doctor error.
Guns at home ? You want the breakdown by room or just the total ?

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten years ago next month, we went into Wimmins and Infintz in PVD to have my son. Well, I didn't have my son. My participation ended about February of the same year.

Anyhow, we get into admitting. Wife is CLEARLY in labor. Nope. She's got to go into the quiet room with the sympathetic nurse to find out if I beat her.

[rolleyes]

C'mon, man! Well dressed upper-middle-class woman comes in with a husband who is doting on her and you ask that?? It's like checking the ID of the 70yo at the liquor store.

It's 10 years later and it still peeves me on some level. They took "oh, we should check this" to such an extreme that it becomes offensive. "But if it saves one wimminz life!" Yeah. OK. Sure.

Otherwise, W&I was awesome. One has to wonder what they'd have done if she said, "Oh yeah. Daily." Stop the delivery??? Not an opportune time to deal with it. [rofl]
On a serious note how you are dressed or acting doesn't mean things are OK. I've known people in abusive relationships and sometimes you would never guess. Both parties learn how to play the game. If the woman is one who keeps hoping things will change they will cling to all the public doting etc. hoping it will make a difference.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I feel far safer at home than here, considering the death rate due to hospital and doctor error.
Guns at home ? You want the breakdown by room or just the total ?
My wisecracking son was going to say 'yes, he felt safe at home' and when asked if he there were guns in the house, he threatened to answer 'do you want a list by caliber or broken down by pistol, rifle and shotgun?'. [rofl]

I told him if he ACTUALLY answered that way, he wouldn't be able to feel safe at home [smile]

captq

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The one that really gets to me is are you in pain today?

Brought to you by, drum roll please, the Sackler Family the makers of Oxycontin who paid off hospital administrators to make this a mandatory question.

Which of course has lead to millions of OD deaths, destruction of families and the destruction of whole regions of the country, thanks doc...

Koolmoose

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other side of the bridges behind the iron curtain
When I turned 60 I got asked the safety in home question. I told the nurse, "Of course I don't feel safe at home!" She looked somewhat flaggergastered at me and asked, "Why?" I told her that I lived alone 5 days / week and that statistically people over 60 fall once / year. ( Appears to be true in my case so far) I told her that I could be dead in my home before anyone found me, therefore not safe.

I haven't had the question asked since. If the gunz question is ever asked the answer will be no.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been asked that question. Neither has my wife or kids. If asked, my wife would probably safe "why should I feel unsafe? I pack a Walther." [smile]

connor

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten years ago next month, we went into Wimmins and Infintz in PVD to have my son. Well, I didn't have my son. My participation ended about February of the same year.

Anyhow, we get into admitting. Wife is CLEARLY in labor. Nope. She's got to go into the quiet room with the sympathetic nurse to find out if I beat her.
Answer for her: "Yes, I do, as the greatest prophet intended."

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I turned 60 I got asked the safety in home question. I told the nurse, "Of course I don't feel safe at home!" She looked somewhat flaggergastered at me and asked, "Why?" I told her that I lived alone 5 days / week and that statistically people over 60 fall once / year. ( Appears to be true in my case so far) I told her that I could be dead in my home before anyone found me, therefore not safe.

I haven't had the question asked since. If the gunz question is ever asked the answer will be no.
i would have said a very nice man who said he was a Jehova's Witness came by, and told me of the rapture and the small number who would be saved....now i do not feel safe in my house anymore.

MRE

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point in this is that I wouldn't read too much into this. Just say you feel safe and move on. If they ask about guns, you can decide how to respond.
So I shouldn't have responded with "You selling, or buying?"

You could try an aggressive posture and declaring loudly: "I got the stuff, you got the money?"

I don't react to the question of guns at all because I know that it may very well make it into a my chart. (I'm an EMT and it is driven into us to DOCUMENT EVERYTHING). I'd prefer if my medical chart didn't have a note in it that "patient reacted negatively when asked about firearms". A simple calm "no" is much neater and less likely to come back to haunt me in the next 70 years of my life.

Top Bottom