• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctors and the guns in the house question...

My son's pediatric nurse asked that question on one of his first visits. This was 8 years ago. I told her "yes why" then she asked if they were locked up. Now at first I didn't know what was going on so I said to her "with all due respect it's really none of your business and frankly you shouldn't even be asking these questions." She was aghast that I would talk to her like that. I tell my wife and kids to say no now.

Since my wife had previously admitted to it at an earlier date, I'm pretty sure it's already documented in her chart and somehow tied back to me regardless. Either way, I'm outed and can't do anything about it.

And then they wonder why your BP spiked....

The answer to anyone asking you that kind of personal question it no , Doctor or anyone .
As far as that "Just for my personal records" crap, she already has proven herself a liar and untrustworthy .
Time for another Doctor.

Believe me, I wanted to say NO... but she already knew. Can't do anything about it... it is, what it is...
As someone else said, you can say "No", and if the doctor says "But your wife said they are in your house", she just committed a HIPAA violation.

If she says it's for her own personal notes it's time to find a new doctor!

I was asked the same question last year and I told my doctor that the question had nothing to do with the medical problem I was there for. He just moved on. If he had pushed me for an answer I would have walked out and found a new doctor .
And saying "It's none of your business" is just like the Pope not answering about whether or not he knew about child abuse. By saying that, you are basically telling the doctor "Yes", since the antis would get all upset and say "No, never! Who would want to do that?!"

I have wondered if I should/could carry while in a Dr office. If they need me to strip down to my skivvies then where can I put my Glock? My response to the do you drink is "Only when I am thirsty." Makes for some interesting looks.
Nah, you never know how much you're going to have to strip down, most of the places I've been are posted, and the gun, spare mags, and knife add 10 pounds.

Well, I had my annual physical today and got the "Are there firearms in the house?" question. I wanted to say no, but my wife and I see the same doctor and she previously answered yes when she got asked. I reluctantly said yes because I knew the doctor already knew the answer. Then came the follow up questions... are they locked up, is the ammo locked up separate from the guns, yadda, yadda.

I told the doctor I didn't want this added to my medical record, and she said it wouldn't be and that it was for her "own personal notes". I don't believe that, but there's not much I can do about that now. I really wanted to say no and none of your business, but I'm sure she would have called me out on it, especially after my wife saying the opposite.

Moral of the story... don't see the same doctor as your spouse!
My 5 year old daughter was the one who told our pediatrician that my wife and I kept guns at home!

As someone else said, you can say "No", and if the doctor says "But your wife said they are in your house", she just committed a HIPAA violation......

As a side note, due to "other" issues, at the start of EVERY doctor visit, I let them know I want everything in my medical records to be accurate and I will be checking. Then, after EVERY doctor visit or the end of any treatment, I wait a week for all doctors notes, tests results, etc. to get into my medical records and I then ask for a copy of my medical records for whatever period I've had with them.

It is really a simple procedure, and I'm pretty damn sure I speak pretty good frigon English, but I'm not surprised anymore that EVERY place fails to be accurate. And I need to request corrections.

You say "No". If she says your wife answered yes your response is: "OMG! My wife has guns???!!! I thought she was spending all that money on shoes!"

But really, Cowgirlup is spot on. Made my day

Why are you afraid of your doctor as if they have some sort of authority over you? "Can we focus on medical questions?" would be my answer.

Well, I had my annual physical today and got the "Are there firearms in the house?" question. I wanted to say no, but my wife and I see the same doctor and she previously answered yes when she got asked. I reluctantly said yes because I knew the doctor already knew the answer. Then came the follow up questions... are they locked up, is the ammo locked up separate from the guns, yadda, yadda.

I told the doctor I didn't want this added to my medical record, and she said it wouldn't be and that it was for her "own personal notes". I don't believe that, but there's not much I can do about that now. I really wanted to say no and none of your business, but I'm sure she would have called me out on it, especially after my wife saying the opposite.

It always astounds me why anyone would answer that question. I get the wife thing but my statement still stands. It's none of their f***ing business.

"If I did I wouldn't tell you so if you're finished kindly get your finger out of my ass!"

Why are you afraid of your doctor as if they have some sort of authority over you? "Can we focus on medical questions?" would be my answer.
Because the way national records are going, someone will be able to hack them, or local authorities will find out. (The Feds already know, of course). Plus, what if the doctor decides that you are "depressed" (only their opinion), and knows that you own firearms? "Hey, Judge So and So, I have a patient here who has guns, and I think he's depressed". But, hey, feel free to let your doctor know.

Putting anything about your wife's health in your medical record is a confidentiality violation.

You just outed yourself and you bet it went in the chart.

^spot on
nothing in a spouses record goes into yours.

and nothing, I repeat nothing, is a required disclosure to a physician. at least not yet. someday when medicine becomes the official wing of big brother then rules may change. for now its all up to you what is disclosed. no excuses.

I only ask my patients the gun question if kids are in the household. I dont record answers to the question either. I only ask it to further discussion on lowering the risk of a negligent disaster.

If they say yes, I ask if them to keep them out of reach of young children and that they may want to consider teaching kids 8 years of age and older about gun safety or introducing them to shooting.

I usually get the stink eye too at first, but when I follow it up with proper firearm education and safety regarding kids most seem to relax a bit.

I also discuss childhood nutrition, woodstoves, smoke detectors, seatbelts and car seats, not letting the xbox raise your kid, learning disabilities, sports safety, water safety, radon, well water testing, drugs and signs of childhood depression.

What I dont do is lecture them on how to store firearms or ammunition or whether they should keep them unloaded or not. And if theres no kids in the house I dont bring it up at all. But thats just me.

while you maybe in the 0.01% of informed and well intentioned clinician, the questioning creates a conundrum:
either one documents to protect ones own practice and make the info known to those who are ill intentioned or choose not to document which can put clinician in a bad spot.

Doctor, do you have any malpractice lawsuits pending?

Taking it a little bit further: Doctor, how many malpractice lawsuits are pending against you? Don't worry Doc, it's only for my personal records......Next question: Doctor, how many malpractice lawsuits have been settled against you? Next question: Why was I not informed of these malpractice lawsuits before my treatment?.......[horse]

I only ask my patients the gun question if kids are in the household. I dont record answers to the question either. I only ask it to further discussion on lowering the risk of a negligent disaster.

If they say yes, I ask if them to keep them out of reach of young children and that they may want to consider teaching kids 8 years of age and older about gun safety or introducing them to shooting.

I usually get the stink eye too at first, but when I follow it up with proper firearm education and safety regarding kids most seem to relax a bit.

I also discuss childhood nutrition, woodstoves, smoke detectors, seatbelts and car seats, not letting the xbox raise your kid, learning disabilities, sports safety, water safety, radon, well water testing, drugs and signs of childhood depression.

What I dont do is lecture them on how to store firearms or ammunition or whether they should keep them unloaded or not. And if theres no kids in the house I dont bring it up at all. But thats just me.

Don't mean to be a jerk, but I kind of wonder what it is that makes you think that you know more about these things than person you are talking to? I don't think most people go to the doctor for life lessons.

Although medical mistakes are one of the leading causes of death in the country, I'm still willing to listen to directly related medical advice from someone who has a diploma and license hanging on the wall. The rest of the stuff? Again, not to be a jerk, but I find it a little offensive, and frankly pretty arrogant. If I need advice, I'll ask.

There are no personal notes in medicine. It’s either documented, or it didn’t happen.

Not so, however, for this purpose, absolutely.

Those questionnaires DO go straight into your medical record.

His doctor is lying to his face. Not a good way to build trust.

Get a new doctor, tell the old doctor s/he abused the doctor / patient trust relationship, and tell your NEW doctor that you fired your old one because they lied to you.

Then came the follow up questions... are they locked up, is the ammo locked up separate from the guns, yadda, yadda.

Show me on the statist doll where I have to answer about something IN EXCESS OF the full retard MA storage laws?
I do not have to have trigger locks on a firearm in a locked container,
I do not have to have it unloaded in said locked container,
and I do not have to store the ammunition separately.

F**K YOU

Also, as an EMR software vendor, it's *unlikely* that she has 'personal notes' that do not go into 'the system', she's either ignorant about her software, incompetent in her understanding of it's use, or she's just a bald faced liar. Change doctors. Today.

Virtually NONE of that is any business of a doctor. Perhaps nutrition, recognizing disabilities and drugs/depression.

The stuff about guns, woodstoves, seatbelts and so on. That's no concern of yours. You could ask the parent if they WANT some advice on those topics, but beyond that, MYOB.

You failed to inform your wife of ...Don't answer gun questions at the doctors office. The answer is Nope

Back
Top Bottom