• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctors and the guns in the house question...

moonpup

NES Member
Well, I had my annual physical today and got the "Are there firearms in the house?" question. I wanted to say no, but my wife and I see the same doctor and she previously answered yes when she got asked. I reluctantly said yes because I knew the doctor already knew the answer. Then came the follow up questions... are they locked up, is the ammo locked up separate from the guns, yadda, yadda.

I told the doctor I didn't want this added to my medical record, and she said it wouldn't be and that it was for her "own personal notes". I don't believe that, but there's not much I can do about that now. I really wanted to say no and none of your business, but I'm sure she would have called me out on it, especially after my wife saying the opposite.

Moral of the story... don't see the same doctor as your spouse!

Well, I had my annual physical today and got the "Are there firearms in the house?" question. I wanted to say no, but my wife and I see the same doctor and she previously answered yes when she got asked. I reluctantly said yes because I knew the doctor already knew the answer. Then came the follow up questions... are they locked up, is the ammo locked up separate from the guns, yadda, yadda.

I told the doctor I didn't want this added to my medical record, and she said it wouldn't be and that was for her "own personal notes". I don't believe that, but there's not much I can do about that now. I really wanted to say no and none of your business, but I'm sure she would have called me out on it, especially after my wife saying the opposite.

Option #3, just don't answer those questions.

My doctor ( Once a year visit ) " Bill do you own guns " Me: Yes, yes I do. Doctor:, Good man. Ok now about that Prostate..

7302.jpg

Ah.

The monthly “doctor question” thread. I guess we should all just go ahead and post the same thing we always post, in the hope that we’ll somehow discover something new?

Sorry, OP. But this is VERY well-trodden terrain.
True. Probably hundreds of post on this. The best answer is: MYOFB Jack.

If she says it's for her own personal notes it's time to find a new doctor!

I was asked the same question last year and I told my doctor that the question had nothing to do with the medical problem I was there for. He just moved on. If he had pushed me for an answer I would have walked out and found a new doctor .

Dr: "Are there firearms in the house?"

Me: "Yes, I have many... BTW, thanks for asking because I've been thinking that since I've been feeling a little moody lately, that maybe I should go on antidepressant medications. Think you can hook me up?
Oh, and gun locks are for faggots.

Since I dont live in the PRM anymore, I'll be sure to respond to this next time with "yes I do" I keep it under my pillow cocked and locked.

but I'm sure she would have called me out on it, especially after my wife saying the opposite.

I am sorry, what?? "Called you out" on what exactly? Is she the feds or God's liaison that they 'call you out'? Fail! f*** them and their questions. None of their business and they have no authority to 'call you out' on anything. They work for you and that's not part of their job.

Doctor lied to you. I would fire the dr. and find a new one. I have been to a few doctors and none have ever asked if there were guns in the house. Of course when they ask me to take my shirt off and then see that I am carrying I guess they don’t have to ask....

You don’t lie to your doctor? I don’t tell mine how much I really drink!!!

I have been to a few doctors and none have ever asked if there were guns in the house. Of course when they ask me to take my shirt off and then see that I am carrying I guess they don’t have to ask....

You don’t lie to your doctor? I don’t tell mine how much I really drink!!!
I have wondered if I should/could carry while in a Dr office. If they need me to strip down to my skivvies then where can I put my Glock? My response to the do you drink is "Only when I am thirsty." Makes for some interesting looks.

I only ask my patients the gun question if kids are in the household. I dont record answers to the question either. I only ask it to further discussion on lowering the risk of a negligent disaster.

If they say yes, I ask if them to keep them out of reach of young children and that they may want to consider teaching kids 8 years of age and older about gun safety or introducing them to shooting.

I usually get the stink eye too at first, but when I follow it up with proper firearm education and safety regarding kids most seem to relax a bit.

I also discuss childhood nutrition, woodstoves, smoke detectors, seatbelts and car seats, not letting the xbox raise your kid, learning disabilities, sports safety, water safety, radon, well water testing, drugs and signs of childhood depression.

What I dont do is lecture them on how to store firearms or ammunition or whether they should keep them unloaded or not. And if theres no kids in the house I dont bring it up at all. But thats just me.

I told the doctor I didn't want this added to my medical record, and she said it wouldn't be and that it was for her "own personal notes". I don't believe that, but there's not much I can do about that now. I really wanted to say no and none of your business, but I'm sure she would have called me out on it, especially after my wife saying the opposite.

Let me get this straight, you were worried about the possible derision of a doctor for not making a statement, but were unconcerned about making one to the NES crowd?

My advise would have been to plead the 5th to both juries - good luck.

:emoji_tiger:

I have wondered if I should/could carry while in a Dr office. If they need me to strip down to my skivvies then where can I put my Glock? My response to the do you drink is "Only when I am thirsty." Makes for some interesting looks.
I keep it in holster and just wrap it up in my pants. Sometimes I don’t even have to take pants off for physical, I believe last December pants stayed on. Zero f***s given.

I only ask my patients the gun question if kids are in the household. I dont record answers to the question either. I only ask it to further discussion on lowering the risk of a negligent disaster. If they say yes, I ask if them to keep them out of reach of young children and that they may want to consider teaching kids 8 years of age and older about gun safety or introducing them to shooting. I usually get the stink eye too at first, but when I follow it up with proper firearm education and safety regarding kids most seem to relax a bit. I also discuss childhood nutrition, woodstoves, smoke detectors, seatbelts and car seats, not letting the xbox raise your kid, learning disabilities, sports safety, water safety, radon, well water testing, drugs and signs of childhood depression. What I dont do is lecture them on how to store firearms or ammunition or whether they should keep them unloaded or not. And if theres no kids in the house I dont bring it up at all. But thats just me.

Are you a pediatrician?

:emoji_tiger:

Back
Top Bottom