• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor's and guns

I could care less what MDs are allowed to ask, as it is my privilege not to answer.

What I do care about is what goes into the medical record. I should have the right not to have a record made of non-medical conversations like "refused to answer the gun question", and have that available for discovery; included in records forward to insurers and other providers; etc.

I'm sure I'll have to deal with this again, moving to a new state.

Just going to teach my kid to say 'SHEWT 'EM', he'll fit right in.

My doc only wants to know if I own any he doesn't.

He gives me a hard time about motorcycling. My comment is, "You only meet the bad riders."

I could care less what MDs are allowed to ask, as it is my privilege not to answer.

What I do care about is what goes into the medical record. I should have the right not to have a record made of non-medical conversations like "refused to answer the gun question", and have that available for discovery; included in records forward to insurers and other providers; etc.

And with the "wonder that is Obamacare", what .gov agencies are those medical records now available to? HIPAA, schm-HIPAA, think the DEA/ATF/Michelle Obama is going to care about a silly law or three?

Most of us do not write "refused to answer." Most of us providers are not interested in making anyone's life difficult. I am also a Federal DOT medical examiner and my goal is to keep people working.

The vast majority just don't ask or if you don't answer it never even makes it into the record. If you go to the ER or your doc and you have a more confrontational relationship (like some people's demeanor in NES) then oh well. It will likely go in there as a refusal to answer and there is nothing you can do about it. Like the police, we are given the right to make presumptive determinations based on conversation, affect, dress, and overall physical dimensions and findings.

But again, most are on your side.

And with the "wonder that is Obamacare", what .gov agencies are those medical records now available to? HIPAA, schm-HIPAA, think the DEA/ATF/Michelle Obama is going to care about a silly law or three?
HIPPA contains an exemption for any govt agency that utters the root password "national security".

My doctor is an avid hunter like me. Once all the "Dr. Stuff" is over with, we compare picures and stories. Cram that in your crack, Osamacare!

HIPPA contains an exemption for any govt agency that utters the root password "national security".

Since the beginning of America, you have NEVER had privacy when it pertained to "national security" and that will never change...even if the law does change. We can all leave the tin foil on for that one because the Govt. will truly take what it wants if they want it.

Most of us do not write "refused to answer." Most of us providers are not interested in making anyone's life difficult. I am also a Federal DOT medical examiner and my goal is to keep people working.

The vast majority just don't ask or if you don't answer it never even makes it into the record. If you go to the ER or your doc and you have a more confrontational relationship (like some people's demeanor in NES) then oh well. It will likely go in there as a refusal to answer and there is nothing you can do about it. Like the police, we are given the right to make presumptive determinations based on conversation, affect, dress, and overall physical dimensions and findings.

But again, most are on your side.

Well there you go a piece of information that can follow a person around, possibly to their detriment, is contingent upon whether you "like" them or not.

Well there you go a piece of information that can follow a person around, possibly to their detriment, is contingent upon whether you "like" them or not.

I did not say I agree, just saying how it is. Yes, I don't like it about my own personal chart. You would have to do a lot for me at least to not like you. I have been threatened, reported, assaulted, and had my fingers close to slammed in a door. All because someone did not get an antibiotic or disliked the fact that they did not pass an exam for their own mistakes. Short of that, everyone gets the benefit of the doubt.

Agree, but I don't like when they pressure kids to answer...

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Boston Globe editorial today was advocating doctor's ask about guns.....coincidence ?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...-about-guns/ym0VPyipMAcii6hVjHfWUP/story.html

That’s why Massachusetts physicians should make it part of their routine to ask patients — or, in the case of young children, their parents — questions about guns in the household. How many? Where are they stored? Are they kept loaded?

While the topic of doctors, patients, and guns is on the agenda for a Massachusetts Medical Society public health leadership forum on firearm violence scheduled for April 5, Attorney General Maura Healey is right to suggest that the issue needs a higher profile in the Commonwealth. “Guns are inherently dangerous,” Healey said. “Why wouldn’t we take advantage of every forum and opportunity to talk to people about a public safety issue?” She has offered to bring together medical professionals, gun groups, and others to develop guidelines for Massachusetts doctors on asking patients about guns, and to give advice about how the information might be used. The medical society and other physician groups should take Healey up on her willingness to help, and convene a more comprehensive discussion – resulting in concrete guidelines for physicians.

They're crossing the line and they can go screw themselves. This information will no doubt be recorded and be used against the patient while doing NOTHING wrt patient care.

What business does anyone, in any capacity, have to tell a gun owner about his or her guns? Especially in a state so strict that you pretty much have to give your left arm to get a license.

As long as you don't have to sign the patient chart under "pains and penalties of perjury" then you can say whatever you want. I've got nothing to hide but I don't think it's anyone's place to formally ask about your guns.

If they're really about safety, what they should do is have pamphlets about gun storage safety next to the wall where all the other health pamphlets are. This would give you privacy and the option to read or not read.

I would just like a Doc that isn't medication centered - If I have a concern check it out instead of offering something to cover it up.

I also don't know why I need to be seen by a Doc for a physical - Most RN's could perform a routine physical for a lot less money and are in greater supply.

The most frustrating thing about the original article is that it leaves out that the doctor kicked the kid out of the practice because the mother refused to answer and that's why the stink was made.

I know I would say no but part of me would want to take out my phone and show them pics (like kids). This is the "False prophet, and this is the kitty smasher, this is the infidel and this is Larry." I can see them writing in their chart, "he then proceeded to show me pictures of big black scary things and then called me a nancy"

Oh goodie, I can't wait till the medical profession is an official arm of the government.
I look forward to the day you get asked about which political party you support during an exam.
Someone posted a little ways back about the Doctor asking to speak to their kid alone and the first thing out of the Docs mouth was "Are there any guns in your house?"
Gee Doc , now wonder why I wouldn't trust you as far as a I can throw you.
Did he ask if Dad has a meth lab?
Did he ask if there's gasoline stored in the basement?
Did he ask if there are any other of the thousand things that could be detrimental to someone's health in the house?
No, He has a political agenda which has no F**king place in health care.
Your Doctor used to be the one person you could talk to and not worry about it leaving the room. Not anymore

Oh goodie, I can't wait till the medical profession is an official arm of the government.
I look forward to the day you get asked about which political party you support during an exam.
Someone posted a little ways back about the Doctor asking to speak to their kid alone and the first thing out of the Docs mouth was "Are there any guns in your house?"
Gee Doc , now wonder why I wouldn't trust you as far as a I can throw you.
Did he ask if Dad has a meth lab?
Did he ask if there's gasoline stored in the basement?
Did he ask if there are any other of the thousand things that could be detrimental to someone's health in the house?
No, He has a political agenda which has no F**king place in health care.
Your Doctor used to be the one person you could talk to and not worry about it leaving the room. Not anymore

There is no need for a provider to remove a parent from the room if the child is under 18. I don't want a parent to be out of the room if they're under 18. The only time that would happen is if there was suspicion of abuse. We are mandatory reporters by law. Generally, those that distrust us as providers are people that worry they're doing something wrong. (or paranoid)

Generally, those that distrust us as providers are people that worry they're doing something wrong. (or paranoid)

If we changed "as providers" to "police" or "government" it sounds like tinfoil, but when said about medical providers it's paranoia or the parent is doing something wrong?

"If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear." is what this sounds like.

Yep...always been that way even back in our Constitutional Republic days (harder then) and always will. It is both human nature and the nature of government and won't ever change.

There is no need for a provider to remove a parent from the room if the child is under 18. I don't want a parent to be out of the room if they're under 18. The only time that would happen is if there was suspicion of abuse. We are mandatory reporters by law. Generally, those that distrust us as providers are people that worry they're doing something wrong. (or paranoid)

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/te...tal-might-be-transferred-back-to-connecticut/

Yup paranoid.

Yea, that case pisses me off. But, if I remember there is also good evidence she was faking or it was a mental health issue. (I am admittedly not up to speed with the details) She also mentioned being abused if I remember. So, the fault lies on both sides and if you flipped it around and I let a child back into the arms of someone who ended up killing them then I would be hung in social media. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. We are put in a very difficult position. I have seen kids tortured and abused more than I care to remember.

If you have not seen the end result of a child beaten to near death and brain damaged then it is hard for you to judge. It really sucks and everybody says they're innocent. There are terribly abused kids that I consulted on and cannot forget.

Yea, that case pisses me off. But, if I remember there is also good evidence she was faking or it was a mental health issue. (I am admittedly not up to speed with the details) She also mentioned being abused if I remember. So, the fault lies on both sides and if you flipped it around and I let a child back into the arms of someone who ended up killing them then I would be hung in social media. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. We are put in a very difficult position. I have seen kids tortured and abused more than I care to remember.

If you have not seen the end result of a child beaten to near death and brain damaged then it is hard for you to judge. It really sucks and everybody says they're innocent. There are terribly abused kids that I consulted on and cannot forget.

Actually none of that panned out to be true and it was pretty much a dick measuring contest between two Doctors on the diagnosis.
The Kid and her family paid for it.
I believe she's almost of age now and hopefully she sues that jackass and the hospital into the stone age.
Now take the same guy with his god complex and imagine if he's anti gun.

Added: I just watched the channel 5 report on our lovely AG teaming up with Doctors to deem guns a public health issue.
But of course all your medical information including answers to questions about gun ownership is strictly private so there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
And now WBUR:
http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2016/04/doctors-guns-questions
“Physicians ask patients about everything from use of seat belts to alcohol and drug use to vaccinations,” she said. “For God’s sake, you mean physicians should be precluded from asking about the most lethal consumer product out there: a gun? That’s just wrong.”
“There’s a patient who had a high-capacity weapon and he had a fight with his dad,” Barsotti said.
“I have no guidelines,” he said. “I just know there’s this person who has a large gun that’s caused concern in the community, but I don’t know what I can do about it.”

Back
Top Bottom