Doctor stabbed by patient at 50 Staniford St., LTC holder saves the day

Hello [Evergreen],

Thank you for your note and I was a bit concerned that my comments would be misconstrued when I saw the interview air. I’m under no illusion that LTCs in Massachusetts would offer protection for someone who used a firearm to defend property (and yes, this is not Texas [thankfully]). In my defense, this was a fifteen minute interview that saw aired relatively little of what I said in total. I was referring to MGL Ch. 140, Sec 131 that states: “(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section” as well as language that has historically been affixed to LTCs (when I had one, which I no longer do) that stated “protection of life and property.”

You are absolutely correct, [Evergreen], and I did, in my interview, go into a good deal of detail about circumstances and conditions justifying the use of deadly force by those licensed to carry firearms. Unfortunately, these comments did not air—we have little control over what “hits the floor” in the cutting room. I do appreciate your taking the time (and paying attention) to address these concerns—should I comment further I will be sure to keep your perspective in mind.

Tom Nolan

Thomas Nolan, Ed.D.
Associate Professor in Criminal Justice
Boston University

(and yes, this is not Texas [thankfully])

Interesting to know Mr. Associate Professor in Criminal Justice feels thankful he does not live under Texas' criminal justice system.... [rolleyes]

Hello [Evergreen],

Thank you for your note and I was a bit concerned that my comments would be misconstrued when I saw the interview air. I’m under no illusion that LTCs in Massachusetts would offer protection for someone who used a firearm to defend property (and yes, this is not Texas [thankfully]).

Tom Nolan

Thomas Nolan, Ed.D.
Associate Professor in Criminal Justice
Boston University

Texas wouldn't have you, douchenozzle.

He may not mean to disparage Texas' use of force laws, but only the state of criminal justice in general there. They've got problems same as we do, like departments unaware of the 1st and 4th, or the recent execution of an innocent man.

Texas has become a promised land for shooters like us, but man, it's not perfect.

Doctor injured in MGH attack returns home

The psychiatrist stabbed by a patient last month at a Massachusetts General Hospital clinic returned to her Belmont home today.

Dr. Astrid Desrosiers has recovered from the injuries she suffered on Oct. 27, when she was repeatedly attacked by her patient Jay Carciero, 37, of Reading, police say. Off-duty security guard Paul Langone responded and fatally shot Carciero.

Just before noon, Desrosiers exited a vehicle driven by her husband, Claude, and went into the house without commenting to reporters. She appeared to be wearing casts or splints on both arms. Mylar balloons that say "Welcome Home" lined the walk.

"She's just happy to be back home,'' her husband said. "She looks forward to getting back to her patients. She loves her patients.''

She isn't sure when she will return to work. "We're going to have to take it one day at a time,'' he said.

He said she wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and for the help from colleagues at MGH.

After a preliminary investigation, prosecutors determined that Langone's shooting of Carciero was justified that day in the hospital's bipolar clinic and research program at 50 Staniford St.

Doctor injured in MGH attack returns home

The psychiatrist stabbed by a patient last month at a Massachusetts General Hospital clinic returned to her Belmont home today.

Dr. Astrid Desrosiers has recovered from the injuries she suffered on Oct. 27, when she was repeatedly attacked by her patient Jay Carciero, 37, of Reading, police say. Off-duty security guard Paul Langone responded and fatally shot Carciero.

Just before noon, Desrosiers exited a vehicle driven by her husband, Claude, and went into the house without commenting to reporters. She appeared to be wearing casts or splints on both arms. Mylar balloons that say "Welcome Home" lined the walk.

"She's just happy to be back home,'' her husband said. "She looks forward to getting back to her patients. She loves her patients.''

She isn't sure when she will return to work. "We're going to have to take it one day at a time,'' he said.

He said she wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and for the help from colleagues at MGH.

After a preliminary investigation, prosecutors determined that Langone's shooting of Carciero was justified that day in the hospital's bipolar clinic and research program at 50 Staniford St.

So she only thanked her colleagues that either ran away or simply prayed for her, and not the person who actually saved her life? Am I reading this right?

Great article written by a doctor today in the Globe:

<snip>A recent report of the National Institute for Occupational Safety shows major gaps in hospital security, though in states with regulations designed to prevent violence against health care workers, hospitals reportedly have safer working conditions.

What states don't have regulations that are designed to prevent violence against everyone, not just health care workers? I have never seen a state gloat "Come here if you're injured. We let you beat our doctors all day long if you want to."

So she only thanked her colleagues that either ran away or simply prayed for her, and not the person who actually saved her life? Am I reading this right?

They (Desrosiers) thanked everyone already , they also thanked Paul Langone with personal phone call, and also through the media.

Glad that she is recovering and back at home.

My wife had the channel 7 news on this morning as I was getting ready for work. While reporting this story, they referred to Paul Langone as an "off duty police officer". Apparently for them, security guards aren't official enough to carry a gun.

Do you REALLY BELIEVE what the LSM reports? [rolleyes]

I certainly hope not! I know that I don't.

Why? Because she's an MD / Psychiatrist?? Talk about labeling - so you think all "doctors" are liberal gun-hating-anti-second-amendment-rights people?? Sorry to pop your bubble sport, but that was a very biased comment. [frown]

Leave your name when you leave a negative rep (my first one). However it does make sense that since you are evidently insecure about your profession that it would naturally follow that you would be scared to leave your name when you wrote “what a bunch of stereotypical crap”. You are not man enough.

I clearly did not indicate, nor do I believe that "all doctors are gun-hating-anti-second-amendment-rights people". You fabricated that out of thin air. Seek help for your emotional problem and take your illogical moonbat conclusions elsewhere.

MGH Doctor Talks To Man Who Saved Her Life

http://wbztv.com/local/doctor.astrid.desrosiers.2.1305529.html

MGH Doctor Talks To Man Who Saved Her Life

Belmont - The Mass. General psychiatrist who was stabbed and seriously wounded during one of her appointments last month has finally been able to reach out to the officer credited for saving her life.

WBZ's Ron Sanders talked with Desrosiers' husband, Claude, who said his wife was very happy to finally talk to special police officer Paul Langone. "I was holding the phone," he said. "He was very happy to hear her voice."

Claude told Sanders that his wife talked to Langone for a few minutes, but the two will meet again. "She'll be glad to meet with him to thank him when her voice (weakened by her injuries) is much clearer."

Dr. Astride Desrosiers was repeatedly stabbed by her patient, Jay Carciero of Reading, during their session at her Staniford Street office in Mass. General's bipolar clinic. Langone, who witnessed the attack, shot Carciero dead after he refused to drop the knife as Longone told him to.

The D.A. has said the preliminary investigation shows Langone acted lawfully.

After spending a few weeks in the hospital recovering from her injuries, Dr. Desrosiers was finally able to go home.

As for Dr. Desrosiers' injuries, Claude said there is a little progress everyday. But while she recovers, Claude said she wanted to make sure her patients are taken care of. "She wants her patients to go and see the professionals who are taking her place right now."

Barely a week after this occurred, I heard a state attorney ask why anyone would want to carry concealed.

And a second state attorney supported the questioner.

I started to ask the questioner if they ever read a paper, but......

Barely a week after this occurred, I heard a state attorney ask why anyone would want to carry concealed.

And a second state attorney supported the questioner.

[rolleyes] I often wonder why learned people seem to lack common sense.

They won't get it until one of the people they convicted, released early on "good behavior" follows them into a dimly lit parking lot one night... [sad2]

Some people simply cannot be taught anything. They wait to repeat others' mistakes before they get a clue.

[rolleyes] I often wonder why learned people seem to lack common sense.
Because they are often blessed to live in a dream world, isolated from or ignorant to the dangers others face each day...

They grow up and learn in schools where they are shielded from "failure" and never face any real danger.

See above - right up until they become a victim... [thinking]

I was in the same building today (50 Staniford St.) and as described the hallways are narrow and like a maze. Wouldn't want to be in a shooting situation there.

And no, I did not carry... didn't want to risk any extra security measures that might have been in place. Turns out there were none...

I was in the same building today (50 Staniford St.) and as described the hallways are narrow and like a maze. Wouldn't want to be in a shooting situation there.

And no, I did not carry... didn't want to risk any extra security measures that might have been in place. Turns out there were none...

Maybe there were'nt any extra security measures because they now welcome legally armed visitors.

The fact that this obvious course of action is newsworthy says a lot about the state.

The idea of charging the shooter should have been unthinkable.
A better course would be to make the stabber liable for all the costs involved with his actions, including the costs and consequences of getting shot (reimburse the shooter for the ammo, and the cops for their time responding, etc).

Back
Top Bottom