Doctor stabbed by patient at 50 Staniford St., LTC holder saves the day

Biggest thing he has to worry about, IMHO, is the family of the lunatic trying to sue him..... The criminal law end of it probably won't be too tough unless the DA is a complete and utter douchebag. What are they going to do, put him in front of a grand jury? Then again this being MA.....

-Mike

Ironically, by him getting killed, they actually make out better financially. His life ins kicks in (even in this circumstance), and they don't pay out for lawyers.

As a disclaimer, I know Mr. Langone and have known his family and extended family for quite some time. I used to watch him box when he won the Lowell Golden Gloves.

I have NOT attempted to contact him or his family, but I know some who have. He is wisely not responding to inquiries as no matter what the DA does (which looks like leave him be pending the interview of the doctor who is still being treated) because some civil rights attorney will most likely try take him to task, this being the sh&t state of MA.

I will say some of you who are whining about his status as a Boston Special Officer and how a civilian without such credentials may not be treated so well by the likes of Menino have valid points. But at this time, Mr. Langone needs support without the commentary of unfair treatment because he DOES hold those credentials.

As for Mr. Langone, I am not sure I have ever met a guy with a bigger heart. His father is not giving lip service, he is truly the way he is presented. I can only say I hope the family of the deceased attacker does not pursue Mr. Langone despite what some of the blood sucking lawyers might advise them.

He does not deserve this and I am sure this will be with him for the rest of his life no matter what the outcome.

Lets just pray the just result is the outcome for Mr. Langone. He is a hero and has the support of so many. As for why he was at the MGH facility, any mention of this if for medical reasons by MGH or anyone else with knowledge other than Mr. Langone is a violation of HIPPA and will most likely be inadmissable. MGH could get into very hot sh&t if they divulged any info here.

Prayers to Paul and his family and the other victims. Nobody really wins here. Lets just hope this goes into the books as an unfortunate situation that could not have been avoided and did save the life of an innocent doctor.

Last edited:
As a disclaimer, I know Mr. Langone and have known his family and extended family for quite some time. I used to watch him box when he won the Lowell Golden Gloves.

I have NOT attempted to contact him or his family, but I know some who have. He is wisely not responding to inquiries as no matter what the DA does (which looks like leave him be pending the interview of the doctor who is still being treated) because some civil rights attorney will most likely try take him to task, this being the sh&t state of MA.

I will say some of you who are whining about his status as a Boston Special Officer and how a civilian without such credentials may not be treated so well by the likes of Menino have valid points. But at this time, Mr. Langone needs support without the commentary of unfair treatment because he DOES hold those credentials.

As for Mr. Langone, I am not sure I have ever met a guy with a bigger heart. His father is not giving lip service, he is truly the way he is presented. I can only say I hope the family of the deceased attacker does not pursue Mr. Langone despite what some of the blood sucking lawyers might advise them.

He does not deserve this and I am sure this will be with him for the rest of his life no matter what the outcome.

Lets just pray the just result is the outcome for Mr. Langone. He is a hero and has the support of so many. As for why he was at the MGH facility, any mention of this if for medical reasons by MGH or anyone else with knowledge other than Mr. Langone is a violation of HIPPA and will most likely be inadmissable. MGH could get into very hot sh&t if they divulged any info here.

Prayers to Paul and his family and the other victims. Nobody really wins here. Lets just hope this goes into the books as an unfortunate situation that could not have been avoided and did save the life of an innocent doctor.

That is what really counts in this case: a good outcome for him. He needs plenty of support now, I'm sure.

Your first point is not accurate. You can use lethal force for the defense of self in Massachusetts.

If your read my post and the post I was responding to, I think it'll be quite clear that I was referring to the use of lethal force for defense of property. The use of force other than lethal force would certainly be justified in the defense of property in MA, but the use of lethal force for defense of property is not provided for in MGLs.

Personally, I know 2 babes whom have worked there. If I was presented in the same situation W/NO CCW but had a firearm on me unexpecetedly (wink) Id have shot him too. Or tackled him w/ a blunt intstrument and used it HARD. THe right thing is the right thing is the right thing,................plus I know that face time on TV (GRrrrr) seeking lawyer I used to hang with.

I'm hearing good things on talk radio this morning. THis guy is getting the support he deserves.

As a disclaimer, I know Mr. Langone and have known his family and extended family for quite some time.

Having read the latest updates to this story and BPD Rule 400 fully, I have an "update opinion".

Paul Langone very much seems to be an upright guy, put in a very bad spot right now and he's being very smart to keep his mouth shut and let it follow the natural course w/o further jeopardizing himself. I just hope he gets a competent lawyer to protect his interests, BPD and the Suffolk DA certainly won't do that for him.

From what I've read:

- He graduated a Boston Police Academy,
- He worked 2 Summers as a Summer Officer (aka Special PO) on Cape Cod,
- He's NOT your average security guard yahoo carrying a Boston Special Police Officer shield.
- BPD Rule 400 REQUIRES an inquiry by BPD if anyone with their credentials gets involved in ANYTHING, in ANY city/town, on/off duty! The restrictions in that Rule are onerous . . . e.g. MGL Ch. 208 Restraining Orders (standard on every divorce action) require an investigation and possible loss of credentials (could result in loss of LTC and all firearms too!). Ch. 208 ROs are STRICTLY a required administrative restraint against selling/transferring any common property, maintaining health/life insurance, etc. w/o court permission while a divorce is taking place . . . it has NOTHING to do with threats of physical harm. Every divorce paper that I've ever served has this as part of it, it is SOP and not reflective of the character of the person so involved.

The news people camped outside his house disgusts me.

Vultures looking to pick his bones clean. Totally disgusting, I agree.

I wish Paul and his Family well. It's going to be a tough road ahead.

Finneran's Forum with Tom & Todd spoke highly of his actions...Tom says we all need more guns....Thanks Tom many agree.

could he ( or any shooter) be protected under the 'Good Samaritan' law?

For a civil case? I bet a half way decent attorney could make that happen.

FWIW, I am really happy to hear from our "liberal" media the support of CCW. From the radio to the TV, it is mostly positive feedback for our cause.

The Globe is reporting this morning:

The Suffolk district attorney’s office sent signals yesterday that its investigation has so far determined there was no wrongdoing on the part of Langone when he shot and killed a patient who was stabbing a psychiatrist at a hospital clinic for treatment of bipolar disorder, a psychiatric condition that can include dramatic swings between mania and depression.

“It’s standard procedure to determine whether charges are warranted in any fatal shooting, whether it be by a police officer or a civilian,’’ said Jake Wark, a spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley. Authorities said they expect preliminary autopsy results today.

Mass law doesn't even prohibit any "public buildings", only schools. Federal law prohibits in federal courthouses and other buildings and in the secured areas of airports. Police stations, court houses and similar places have their own policies which they enforce with limited access and metal detectors. Sneak around them and you're trespassing.

Ken

FWIW, I am really happy to hear from our "liberal" media the support of CCW. From the radio to the TV, it is mostly positive feedback for our cause.

+1 The media and 'water cooler talk' are all positive thus far!

Well, the first hints of a civil suit have arrived:

An attorney for the man gunned down by an off-duty private security officer at a Boston psychiatric clinic Tuesday said today he has “serious reservations” about any claims the killing was heroic.

“I have my own serious reservations about him being hailed as hero,” said E. James Perullo, who was representing Jay Carciero, 37, in a civil matter at the time of his death. “I think his actions were, to be polite, a little too rash, but that’s my opinion, but not the opinion of the family.”

Perullo said Carciero’s survivors have no comment about the death or the officer, Paul M. Langone, 33, of Reading, who fired the fatal shots. He added the slain man’s brother, John, is considering hiring his own lawyer. Carciero leaves a wife and four children, ages 3 to 12.

Carciero, of Reading, was shot three times by Langone, who came upon him repeatedly stabbing Dr. Astrid Desrosiers at the Massachusetts General Hospital Bipolar Clinical and Research Program on Tuesday afternoon, police said.

Officials have so far indicated Langone, an academy-trained special officer who is on the list to be considered as a Boston cop, acted appropriately.

As for the possibility of legal action, Perullo said: “Those issues are being debated. There is no specific indication that they will or will not.”...

http://bostonherald.com/news/region...expresses_opinion_on_actions_of_hero_officer/

Goddamn ambulance chaser.

Last edited:
I just read the Herald piece...I can see it now..."as a TRAINED individual, he should have tackled the assailant and held him for authorities"

They still haven't mentioined why Langone was there...if he was seeking treatment in that ward, he's screwed.

my personal opinion: it's a bipolar clinic, he's armed, if he was seeking treatment for a bipolar disorder it implies he's not mentally stable; even if he's balanced thru medication. My Ex was bipolar, I've seen the full swing..from walking out of the house naked, to waking me up in the middle of the night asking.."who are you?"
the assailant's atty will tear it up.

The ex-perp's lawyer is being interviewed by Michael Graham right now. He's saying that if the shooter was so well trained, then why should he have had to shoot the assailant in the head instead of using more controlled shots. I was really wishing MG knew about the Mozambique.

EDIT: A woman caller who identified herself as a CCW practitioner just explained it.

my personal opinion: it's a bipolar clinic, he's armed, if he was seeking treatment for a bipolar disorder it implies he's not mentally stable; even if he's balanced thru medication. My Ex was bipolar, I've seen the full swing..from walking out of the house naked, to waking me up in the middle of the night asking.."who are you?"
the assailant's atty will tear it up.

Yet he could have been visiting any one of the other numerous clinics adjacent to that one. There are a ton of offices and departments crammed into that building.

This thread is full of mindless speculation about how badly things are going to go for Mr. Langone. None if has proven out - yet. He might still have to worry about about a wrongful death suit, and I'm sure the attention will probalby make him mental. But, he has not been drawn, quarter, or crucified. And it's unlikely that he will be.

If anything, the fact as they are currently known in this case, support the idea of helping.

sniff, sniff, I think I smell something burning. Must be a martyr.

I think you are wrong, somewhat, here.
Yes, it is too early to tell what will happen to him, defintiely agree there.

However, I think that we can rightly assume that this is already costing him a fair ammount of money. You'd like to assume that he has already retained compentant legal council, as everything is going to hinge on this. A bad lawyer could potentially, take a deal somewhere along the line setting him up for future problems on the civil side.

He may be out of the woods as far as a murder charge.But are there any other charges that they might throw at him? Any prohibitions about firearms on that campus or building, etc.?

Even if any potential criminal charges they may bring are dropped, this will still cost him quite a bit.

Then it would appear that he will be sued civily by the family. Again, this is going to be a long process and a lot of money in legal fees to defend himself against.

So, yes, in a lot of respects there is a martyr burning here. This guy did the right thing and due to that it will cost him dearly financially, emotionally and possibly professionally.

Back
Top Bottom