Doctor stabbed by patient at 50 Staniford St., LTC holder saves the day

News says its part of Mass General Hospital psychiatric ward

breaking news

Video: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/21440317/index.html

http://wbztv.com/local/mass.general.hospital.2.1273746.html

BOSTON (WBZ) ―

Boston police say a person is [STRIKE]in custody[/STRIKE] dead after a shooting and a stabbing inside a Massachusetts General Hospital office building Tuesday afternoon.

It happened on the fifth floor at 50 Staniford Street around 2 p.m.

Police told WBZ's Ron Sanders the situation was "under control" at about 2:25 p.m.

At least two people were taken away from the scene in ambulances.

Emergency Medical Services told WBZ one of the victims had been shot, the other was stabbed.

Their injuries are said to be serious.

The building is home to the Depression Clinical and Research Program, which is part of the Outpatient Department of Psychiatry at Mass General.

There is also a weight loss clinic in the complex.

Last edited:
summary: Patient stabbed female doctor

off-duty officer was in the area, ordered knife handler to drop knife, he refused, off-duty officer discharged weapon.

Channel 7 news is saying thank god the off duty security guard was there to stop the violence.
patient who was shot is now deceased

yes, WHDH just stated the shooter was an off duty "security guard"

another station was "assuming" it was off-duty police, thats why I posted earlier that it was an officer, you know, because that station assumed only police should or would be carrying

If you don't want your head to explode do NOT read the comments.

My head just [jihad].

Good thing there was an armed citizen there (security guard) to do the right thing and keep this nutjob (is that un-PC for this situation) from harming anyone else.

I also read " a weapon was confiscated". Wonder if they stole the guy's gun or not- you know, for "evidence" of the crime he didn't commit?

-Mike

I hope everyone realizes the lesson here.... that these types of incidents can be avoided if we just ban psychiatric units from all our hospitals

I hope everyone realizes the lesson here.... that these types of incidents can be avoided if we just ban psychiatric units from all our hospitals
We just need to be more understanding of the deranged and incorrectly medicated and let them stab us to their fullest potential... [thinking]

And would they have said that if it were an armed concealed carry citizen, that they could not drop the security officer label on? probably not. Oh well one for the good guys. We should be happy with any positive press for CC.

Last edited:
But he was a victim of an uncaring government and corporate greed! The comments say so, so it MUST be true! [rolleyes]

I'm pretty sure that's where my doctors office is (I've only been there twice, but I rmember it being either 50, 55, or 60 Stanihope street).... Yet more ammunition (no pun intended) for me to make my wife see why I carry!

Just looked at the picture on the channel 5 website, that is the building, and my doctor is on the 5th floor... I wonder if there's gonna be an issue with me carrying there next month for my appointment?!?

Just looked at the picture on the channel 5 website, that is the building, and my doctor is on the 5th floor... I wonder if there's gonna be an issue with me carrying there next month for my appointment?!?

Yeah there should be an issue...... an issue if you don't carry. Who in there right mind would be able to come out now and say they did not want legal carriers coming in to save more doctors should the need arise. Oh wait this is MA nevermind. They will now install metal detectors.

I can't believe someone hasn't commented on the obvious... MGH is a teaching hospital... not good.

This could get interesting, if the guy wasn't employed there, it could put the whole "are teaching hospitals considered schools" crap to rest, finally. [laugh]

-Mike

Is a "teaching" hospital covered? There is a lot of teaching going on out there not on a school grounds. What about the gas station or body shop teaching the Minuteman Voc. student.

Last edited:
I can't believe someone hasn't commented on the obvious... MGH is a teaching hospital... not good.

Now, IANAL, that would be you, but I was under the impression that "teaching hospitals" and the like did not constitute "school grounds" -- not that I would ever really want to be a test case if that has not in fact been legally established.

No way a prosecutor goes after a man in an official-sounding job like "security guard" who saved a female doctor, who had already been actually stabbed. This might be legally gray, but not that gray. Right? Right? Right? [frown]

Back
Top Bottom