• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor stabbed by patient at 50 Staniford St., LTC holder saves the day

The media is certainly playing up the 'security guard' aspect. That's fine. I think as time goes by it'll become more of a civilian with a gun theme.
Doubt it... I expect the words "Off-duty" and "guard" will remain - most of the sheeple are fine with "special people" having guns because they are all "trained" and such... (which of course we know is certainly not always the case)...

The media is certainly playing up the 'security guard' aspect. That's fine. I think as time goes by it'll become more of a civilian with a gun theme.
I'm anxious to hear what the Doctor has to say. I think this thing goes either way based on that.
If the Doctor puts her stamp of approval on the hero/LTC holder's actions I think it's a step forward for gun owners.

My guess is that she will say nothing.

Doubt it... I expect the words "Off-duty" and "guard" will remain - most of the sheeple are fine with "special people" having guns because they are all "trained" and such... (which of course we know is certainly not always the case)...

I fully agree. It's the only way that MSM can justify in their small minds that a citizen took action. After all, the official state policy (from AG) is "we discourage self-help!"

Most security guards, even armed guards, get little to no training.

On the other hand, there are some guards who are also PT POs elsewhere, have attended a police academy, and/or taken it upon themselves to seek out training at their own expense.

My guess is that she will say nothing.

People fear HIPPAA so much that I agree here. Also to avoid civil litigation hassles, all involved are much better off with zipped lips.

Well we have to give Howie Carr some credit. He was on his show yesterday boasting about the fact that the guy was an armed citizen and that there should be more people out there like that.

People fear HIPPAA so much that I agree here. Also to avoid civil litigation hassles, all involved are much better off with zipped lips.
Even discounting HIPAA, her best course of action is to only talk to her attorney. It would not surprise me if the perp's family sues the doctor, and anything she says to someone other than her attorney can and will be used against her by the plaintiff's counsel.

Last edited:
The security guard was named as Paul Lagone of Reading by Fox 25 News. Last night, a police cruiser was parked outside his house, and the family declined comment. Lagone’s father and brother told Fox he heard the doctor’s screams and broke through her office door. He told Carciero to drop the knife, and when Carciero lunged at him, Lagone shot him. He used his sweater to stem Desrosiers’ bleeding.

Obviously Langone should be arrested for B&E in the day time!

QUESTION

Why was this armed man at a bi-polar clinic?

Is that a reason for refusal of an LTC?

ITS A QUESTION...DON'T JUMP ON ME.

Why was this armed man at a bi-polar clinic?

Is that a reason for refusal of an LTC?

ITS A QUESTION...DON'T JUMP ON ME.

Unknown.

- Could have been with a family member or friend who had an appt there or in some other dept. Rumor is that there is more than one dept from MGH on that floor.

- ANYTHING can be a "reason" to deem someone "unsuitable". Do I think his chief will have some "questions" as to why he was there? Yes, in a CYA move, I'd expect the Chief to "review" the security guard's file and perhaps make a bad judgment! Let's hope not, but I don't have much faith in bureaucrats in MA! [frown] [thinking]

MA

Massachusetts will find a way to make this man a villan and not a hero.

So do we all agree that this man WILL be charged for having a gun at MGH as a civilian?

Massachusetts will find a way to make this man a villan and not a hero.

So do we all agree that this man WILL be charged for having a gun at MGH as a civilian?

No, we don't all agree with that. I think that we could all agree that before this event he had a good possibility that it could go that way if one was to hypothesize the event. But by a combination of the people involved (including BPD on scene officials, MGH spokesperson, etc, etc), the circumstances of the event and whims of the press this fine day, he is probably fine and will likely not suffer a public lynching.

God

Lord help us.

I had friends that are anti-gun writing to me yesterday saying "well...theres not way this won't help your case"

to which i responded "just you wait...just you wait..."

the real question...why do i have anti-gun friends?

Unfortunately, I think "we" lost on this one.

As already pointed out, the media is focusing on the "security guard" aspect of this.

They have essentially elevated him to the level of a LEO. In essence, they have made this guy OK for carrying and taken action. It would appear that to the sheeple he is elevated above the average person and he is interchangable with an off duty police officer.

This am on Tkk, Braude said, well this was not some average joe with a gun, it was a security guard!!
..and then something about special training, again, not like a civilian ...

I’m not sure how to pull it off, and it would need to be done fast while he still has the spotlight, and it may not be in his best interest legally speaking, but does anyone think we could get this guy to talk to the media and say something along the lines of...

“I’m just a regular guy with an LTC, just like thousands of other good people in the state, who was in the wrong place at that right time. I’m just glad I was there to help.”

Maybe he could be a spokesman for the cause?

You are asking a lot. A metric crap ton actually from someone who was anonymous yesterday and who has to work for a living. You also realize this whole security guard thing could roll around and bite him in the ass if he starts rolling Joe the Plumber style. The same people hailing him as a hero will go Richard jewell on his ass in a fraction of a second.

No, the NRA has to come in here and take advantage of the situation. GOAL can't because they need to protect their image as an "acceptable" gun rights org. The NRA needs to be the bad guy. Will they? Ha, right. But they should.

Jeeez I can't believe the negativity around here. Metal detectors, law suits, LTCs revoked. And the big one "This sucks because they're calling him a security guard and not just an average guy". Who cares?
Has anyone read the papers? The guy saved a Doctor's life!! All of my non-gun friends are looking at this as a great thing for gun owners yet we, the gun owners on this forum, are sitting around trying to figure out how it's a bad thing.

Jeeez I can't believe the negativity around here. Metal detectors, law suits, LTCs revoked. And the big one "This sucks because they're calling him a security guard and not just an average guy". Who cares?
Has anyone read the papers? The guy saved a Doctor's life!! All of my non-gun friends are looking at this as a great thing for gun owners yet we, the gun owners on this forum, are sitting around trying to figure out how it's a bad thing.

We're in MAss, that's our job.

:-(

Realtor...I do see the positive side. I really do. I was so excited yesterday that an innocent doctor's life was saved by a hero.

The biggest positive for ME was that my anti gun friends saw this as a justification of what i've been preaching for years.

But I also look at the way it will be spun. Terribly spun.

You are asking a lot. A metric crap ton actually from someone who was anonymous yesterday and who has to work for a living. You also realize this whole security guard thing could roll around and bite him in the ass if he starts rolling Joe the Plumber style. The same people hailing him as a hero will go Richard jewell on his ass in a fraction of a second.

No, the NRA has to come in here and take advantage of the situation. GOAL can't because they need to protect their image as an "acceptable" gun rights org. The NRA needs to be the bad guy. Will they? Ha, right. But they should.

I agree it would be a huge thing to take on. I think the benefits would be huge too, just maybe not for him personally.

I’m not sure how to pull it off, and it would need to be done fast while he still has the spotlight, and it may not be in his best interest legally speaking, but does anyone think we could get this guy to talk to the media and say something along the lines of...

“I’m just a regular guy with an LTC, just like thousands of other good people in the state, who was in the wrong place at that right time. I’m just glad I was there to help.”

1) It is not in his interests to say anything to anyone other than his lawyer. He needs to STFU. He is likely still recovering from the shock of the event. He may be suffering from various symptoms of post-shooting trauma.

The Boston PD is currently investigating the shooting. While it certainly sounds completely justified, you just never know what an idiotic DA will do. People have been Nifonged before. That investigation will likely not be complete for months.

2) Even if he is cleared of any criminal wrongdoing, there is still the chance of a civil suit from the perp's family. Once again, our hero is best served by saying nothing.

3) My guess is that he's just a regular guy who wants to get back to his old life. He doesn't want to walk into a restaurant and have everyone recognize him as "the one."

According to the media so far the equation consists of:

Perp accosts doc in her offices - stabbing / slashing her
Doctors screams alert the armed and off duty "security guard"
Security guard barges doc's office door open to witness what he thinks is the perp beating the doc
Guard realizes the perp has a knife
Guard orders perp to drop said knife while aiming his firearm at same.
Perp lunges at guard
Guard drops Perp with two to the body one to the face

Some variables to consider:

"Guard" did not work in the building - so what was he doing there?
Guard lived locally to Perp
Media elevation of out of uniform security guard - aka an armed civilian ( he's off duty, and not a sworn LEO??)
Guard intervened in a fight that was not his ( personally, glad he did, but some eager beaver legal type might make something of that here in MA)

Now, let's rethink the scenario with, say, me in the frame.

Screams, door down, "drop your knife!", bang bang bang...

Now, would a legally armed psychologist who did not work in the building and who intervened in a fight that was not his still get the same treatment in the media and from the police??? No offense meant to any security guards or LEO's out there, but would I get crucified as a "civilian" as I didn't have special "security guard" training?

Looks to me the media like the "off duty" security guard theme - not the first time we've seen this.

Thoughts??[thinking]

I think you would be getting the same treatment. Let's be as objective as we can for a second.

WIth the current crop of facts, there is no way the media can paint the shooter as a bad guy. So what do they do? They grab the next best alternative to them and focus on his 'security guard' status (where he's prob. not even authorized to carry a gun on duty but that's beside the point).

It's their out, sure, but it's STILL someone who is NOT a cop. It's a baby step but a good one.

From Channel 5 news

Bostonchannel.com has a statement from the shooter's father. Here is a link to the full report and an excerpt from it:
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/21447085/detail.html

"He's doing fine," his father Paul F. Langone said early Wednesday at his home. "It's very unfortunate. There's been a loss of life here and we feel terrible about that."

He said his son is not a security guard but is part of the Boston Special Police force and did not know the doctor or the patient who was slain.

"He's just a wonderful person and he helps people," Langone's father said of his unmarried son. "We feel very, very bad for the other family. The loss of life."

Boston police said many guards in the city are licensed as "special officers," which means they "meet the criteria to work for a security firm in the city and carry a firearm

1) It is not in his interests to say anything to anyone other than his lawyer. He needs to STFU. He is likely still recovering from the shock of the event. He may be suffering from various symptoms of post-shooting trauma.

The Boston PD is currently investigating the shooting. While it certainly sounds completely justified, you just never know what an idiotic DA will do. People have been Nifonged before. That investigation will likely not be complete for months.

2) Even if he is cleared of any criminal wrongdoing, there is still the chance of a civil suit from the perp's family. Once again, our hero is best served by saying nothing.

3) My guess is that he's just a regular guy who wants to get back to his old life. He doesn't want to walk into a restaurant and have everyone recognize him as "the one."

"Nobody ever got in trouble by keeping his f-ing mouth shut."

Eddie Coyle's cousin.

Not in Boston, all security guards are sworn as BPD "special" officers or something IIRC

Off by a country mile. Few uniformed private security guards are SPOs in Boston.

Edit: I've since seen the clip where someone from BPD said "many" security guards are SPOs. I have no idea how he identifies "many," and depending on his definition, the statement may be true. As a percentage, however, the number is quite small.

Last edited:
What people need to realize is that allowing everyone to carry everywhere will make people think twice about shooting a place up.

This statement may be true as stated, but it has no application to this situation.

The case for an armed public has two prongs.

Prong #1 is deterrence: if bad guys know that an armed civilian may interdict their criminal venture, some will elect to eschew some criminal ventures. (In fact, there are numerous studies, usually done by journalism school students as a class exercise, in which prison inmates state that their greatest fear is an armed citizen or an armed homeowner.)

Prong #2 is interdiction: a situation (could be criminal or non-criminal, such as an animal attack) puts a victim in danger and an armed citizen mitigates the situation by application of force.

Yesterday's MGH incident was a Prong #2 incident. In general, harmful behavior by mental defects is not subject to deterrence by force.

Last edited:
If it's the building I'm thinking of it has a lot of different clinics and offices in it, not just psychiatric. It's also possible that he was with someone getting treatment or that the building has none medical offices in it. I don't know where in the building the shooting happened, so he might not have even been in an office, but in a common area.

The building also hosts a huge dermatology clinic on several floors.

Shooting now being treated as "Police involved shooting".

Also, as I stated earlier, my fiancee calls on this doctor's office on a weekly basis. It is a clinic where they treat people with bi-polar. Not sure why people are guessing that it is possible that it happened in some other office on the fifth floor.

Last edited:
Now, would a legally armed psychologist who did not work in the building and who intervened in a fight that was not his still get the same treatment in the media and from the police???
Thoughts??[thinking]

NO! Just the opposite, there would cries for your head on a pike. You office would have crowds with torches and pitch forks out front. The media would do an "IN DEPTH" expose.. "Doctors and guns!!! Is your MD armed, are you in danger?!"

Don't agree.. As time goes on it will be spun into an off duty LEO.

But the damage is done here. In the popular mind set, it has already been spun as a de-facto off duty (seal trained/ ranger/ sniper/ nsa spy/decorated combat vet) security guard..

This is not being viewed or presented as a lawfully armed ccw civilian.

Back
Top Bottom