• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor asking kids about guns

qmmo - I'm grumpy and miserable, my dad is grumpy and miserable........I wouldnt know what to do with myself if I wasnt! Welcome to the club, enjoy your stay and we'll hate to see you leave.

They do 'share' the info.
I filled it out honestly and about a month later, out of the blue, I get something from a drug company asking me if I would participate in a drug trial for an anti-depressant or some such bull$h!t.
Q

Of course they do.

There is no reason to ask questions and collect data if it is not to be used for something.

Doctor's time is money. If they are going to spend time asking questions and recording the results, ultimately, they must get something for their efforts.

In your case, I would suspect they get some sort of kick back for a lead to a pharaceutical company.

Sigh... Anything they ask you during the questionnaire is protected health information and cannot be shared with anyone. They can only share DV information or information that you intend to violently harm either yourself or others (and that is information that they are legally required to report, not something that they have a choice in). Being a gun owner does not count as information that they can share.

I'm quite sure that Doctors (like anyone else) can share any data they have as long as it's aggregated in a way that conceals individual identities. There isn't a big push to get all medical records on line, just to help their patients. The data is sought by pharmaceutical companies, government agencies, etc.

All gun data would be available to anti-gun groups and social engineers as long as it's in statistical form.

I don't think these boobs want the data to turn over the parents to DSS (in other than extreme cases), they want the data to re-inforce their political agenda/objectives.

Well...for qmmo to get mail it's evident that his identlty wasn't kept secret.
Sadly, the security of digital patient info is FUBAR... Your prescriptions are certainly readily accessible/sold as demonstrated by the swag you get if have a recurring prescription...

If my doc asked about guns - he'd get nothing from me but a confused look and some uncomfortable personal questions directed at him/her...

"I dunno doc, do you like anal sex?"[laugh]

It's about as pertinent to me as your quesition is to you... [wink]

M
Next thing to do, is see if he would like to go to the range just for a fun and educational day out. Well we can wait for the next visit I have, then I will pop the question. One day at a time, one person at a time, but I will take what I can get.

Why don't you give him my doctor's number and maybe I can do a doctor's only BFS class??????[smile]

Here is what my parents told me as a child and I strongly think it should be used by all:

"If you tell anyone that we spank you (or whatever is of concern), the state will move you out of here and make you live with another family in roxbury, where they wont take you to chuckie cheese, no clean clothes, and you share a bed with 2 fat kids."

Needless to say, I kept my mouth shut about everything...

Actually, we said something very similar to our kids [laugh] My oldest used to say stuff like "I'll call the police and they'll come take me away" and we'd say, "Good, go ahead. See where you wind up. They'll take you, but you're not going to like where they put you."

Good God, I don't know where you folks found your docs but, in the 3 years I've had my PCP, I've yet to be asked any questions regarding guns, safety, mental health, etc.

Either I found the only doctor in MA who doesn't participate in libtard surveys, or he doesn't give a rats ass what happens to me. [rofl]

My kids' doctor is cautious to the point of irritation. She is also the type that I am not 100% sure she wouldn't pull a stunt like that, asking my kids stuff behind my back. Thanks for the reminder- I'll have to remember to watch more and make sure she's not alone with them.

Now, instead of a Rainbow flag, what should we use for a symbol? A bullseye target with holes? A clay target in pieces? "AA" (as in 2A). [grin]
How about a Rifleman patch? Gotta earn it, but it's not that hard - I did it!

DSC00977.jpg

BTW... great job with your son and his school.

"If you tell anyone that we spank you (or whatever is of concern), the state will move you out of here and make you live with another family in roxbury, where they wont take you to chuckie cheese, no clean clothes, and you share a bed with 2 fat kids."
[rofl2]

Glad I grew up when I didn't have to worry about that kind of crap. I got my ass spanked as needed... end of story. I behaved. Until the next time I got to be a wiseass. Yeah, I was a smart kid... but not too bright, sometimes, if you know what I mean. [rolleyes]

They do 'share' the info. Example: I've had a really bad year - I almost croaked, my father passed, I lost my job, my next ex has a 'girlfriend', etc. At my last physical the ditzy NP that administered it gave me a form to fill out after hearing about my recent calamities (yeah, I'm cranky, but I have a right to be that way lately...it will pass). It looked to be a questionaire about depression or some such silliness. I filled it out honestly and about a month later, out of the blue, I get something from a drug company asking me if I would participate in a drug trial for an anti-depressant or some such bull$h!t. I am furious with the whole thing and am now looking for a new PCP.

It is none of their freakin' business and if you think your info is safe and is held in confidence, think again - it isn't. Citing laws against this and laws against that doesn't mean squat as the burden is on YOU to prove confidentiallity was violated, not on THEM to prove they didn't.

Yeah, yeah, I know....I'm an old irritable curmudgeon and need to lighten up. I'm going to the range and chrono some .308 match I just made up. I know that will make me feel better.

Q

If I ever recieved anything by mail like that, my first question would be to my PCP, if he sold my info, I would be out of their, but not before I told him where to go and what to do, I would also mention that you may seek legal action, if any is available. If he says he did not, then I would march my butt to the pharmacy and talk with the head of the pharmacy. It would not end with me walking away pissed off, some one would need to answer how my name and address got on someones mailing list, for a product I did not need or intend on using.

I agree that it is wrong, but in this day and age it is not surprising, drug companies will do anything to push pills down peoples throats. I swear to god their as bad as corner pusher men.

I am thankful that I found a doctor who sole concern is my health and well being. When I went thru my divorce, I had a couple of really hard months, really depressed, and stuff. He asked me straight out, are you thinking of killing your self, well him and I spent about an hour in his personal office, not an exam room, just talking. He told the nurse to push some appointmets back about an hour. I know it wasn't fair to the others their to see him, but that is how he is with his patients. He did offer me medication to help get thru the hump, but that if not, that was ok too. I thought it was great. He also was going to give me the medication from sample packs, so 1. It would not need to go to the pharmacy, and 2. pay for it, or have my insurance company know about it, because insurance companies sell info too. I love my doctor, I swear he is a liberty lover at heart. I hope he joins the cause.

On a side note , Q. I hope you get some time off from the shit you are going thru, sucks being miserable, I hate Murphy's Law. Hope things get better soon.

"yup - there are guns in the house, but I cant stand the smell of the meth lab where Dad keeps them - so I stay away from them" [smile]

Maybe that answer will work???

BBC Aug 26 2009 8:19AM GMT
Gun user medical notes alert plan

Christopher, Jillian and Kirstie Foster
Mr Foster unlawfully killed his wife and daughter, a coroner recorded

Lasting legacy of Osbaston House

Doctors may be able to see whether patients with mental illnesses have access to guns under new plans.

It comes a year after Christopher Foster shot dead his wife Jill and teenage daughter Kirstie before killing himself and setting his mansion alight.

It emerged at the inquest that he had told his doctor that he felt suicidal.

The coroner called in April for communication between GPs and police forces, who issue gun licences, to be improved.

John Ellery recorded that Mr Foster, 50, had unlawfully killed his 49-year-old wife and 15-year-old daughter at their house in Maesbrook on 26 August 2008.

'Aide-memoire'

His brother Andrew expressed shock after the inquest that police were not told about his mental state and said better communication could have prevented the killings.

The British Medical Association (BMA) said it had been in talks with the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) about the plans.

Fire-damaged Osbaston House in Maesbrook, Shropshire
The £1.2m mansion was gutted in the fire last summer

It said medical records could be tagged to indicate that the patient either held a firearms or shotgun licence or had applied for one.

It said in a statement: "In the BMA's view such a system can be appropriate, provided it is used as part of the ordinary care given to a patient.

"It can, for example, be a useful aide-memoire, to remind doctors that the patient has, or may have, access to a firearm.

"Such a system should not, however, imply that the GP practice has taken on particular obligations to monitor or oversee the mental health of individuals holding firearms licences."

The tagging would mean a patient's computerised records are marked so when a doctor looks at them important information is flagged up immediately.

A similar system is currently used to flag up allergies or any other issues medical staff need to be aware of.

Acpo said in a statement it had been "exploring a number of options as to how information can be shared, without breaching patient confidentiality, and yet ensuring improved public safety".

It said draft guidance was in the process of being prepared.

Both Andrew Foster and Mr Ellery refused to comment on the planned guidelines.

Christopher Foster was a failed businessman who had debts of at least £1.2m.

Financial investigator Patrick Kelly said Mr Foster had mortgaged his home three times and had 20 different bank accounts, one of which was overdrawn by £330,000

His thermal insulation business Ulva Ltd had gone into liquidation in 2007.

Source

I see the pilot program has started...wonder how long it will be until we get this here...and how long it will take until the Insurance companies desire access to that information as well..

My daughter tells the truth. Yes, guns are locked securely and it's Dad's concern not mine.
Let's all take a tip from the United States Secret Service spokespeople, when they are asked stupid questions by the media about security measures that they use to protect the POTUS. A polite but firm "no comment" is the standard USSS response. Kids should be taught to answer the same way.

Back
Top Bottom