• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor asking kids about guns

I'd look at it this way. Smoking is advocated against by the AMA, etc as well. Studies show it is harmful to people, including children. But the doctor isn't going to report you to DSS for child abuse because you smoke.

Everyone should remember that while, as a forum of responsible firearms owners, we often have a "us against them" mentality, the fact is that not everyone who isn't a firearms owner is out to get us. That includes doctors. Doctors aren't going to report anything unless they truly think that there's a potential for abuse, because its more of a PITA with paperwork, etc for them. For compliance with regulations like that, the majority of doctors are going to report only if they really feel they need to cover their ass legally in case something does happen.

YES. Which means that we need to let them know that we have firearms, sre not ashamed of it, and our kids are not offing themselves or shooting through schools.

I agree. While I don't advertise that I'm a gun owner, I'm more than happy to discuss it with anyone who has an opposing viewpoint or who professes no knowledge of firearms or firearms-related activities. I've converted a few and hope to continue.

Only one right answer to a question like that: " No. "

Anything else just tells them what they want to know, and I don't see anyway that their knowing would help you or your kids. I have no problem lying to people who are asking things that are none of their business.

It's like when a cop asks if he can search your car. How does his searching your car, looking for some dirt on you, help you in any way? And they ask it tricky like: "Do you mind if I have a look in you car?" Yes or no could be taken as assent. You have to say something like: " I do not give you permission to search my person or my vehicle. "

Sorry sort of drifted off topic there.

Only one right answer to a question like that: " No. "

Anything else just tells them what they want to know, and I don't see anyway that their knowing would help you or your kids. I have no problem lying to people who are asking things that are none of their business.

It's like when a cop asks if he can search your car. How does his searching your car, looking for some dirt on you, help you in any way? And they ask it tricky like: "Do you mind if I have a look in you car?" Yes or no could be taken as assent. You have to say something like: " I do not give you permission to search my person or my vehicle. "

Sorry sort of drifted off topic there.

Apples and oranges. It is NOT the same as LEO asking to search. I would not consent to a search. If a LEO has reason to do so he will. No matter what you answer.

Back to the doctors questions. I don't see a need to lie about it, however I can also choose to not answer the question. If I were asked I would simple state that I don't feel it is relevant to the care of my child and won't answer based of the fact I don't think it is any of their business. If the doctor does not accept my reasoning, then I will find a new doctor. I will leave some of the questions blank on the form; I have yet to be questioned about it.

Apples and oranges. It is NOT the same as LEO asking to search. I would not consent to a search. If a LEO has reason to do so he will. No matter what you answer.

Back to the doctors questions. I don't see a need to lie about it, however I can also choose to not answer the question. If I were asked I would simple state that I don't feel it is relevant to the care of my child and won't answer based of the fact I don't think it is any of their business. If the doctor does not accept my reasoning, then I will find a new doctor. I will leave some of the questions blank on the form; I have yet to be questioned about it.

If you don't answer or make a fuss it just tells them you do have guns.

This came up during my annual physical yesterday. I had inquired about doing a lead test which the doctor said was unusual to do for an adult and that my insurance may not cover it. So I explained about reloading and using a very dirty, poorly ventilated range this winter.

So during the exam part he asks: "So, what do you do, go to the range and shoot?"
Me: "Yes I compete in a bunch of pistol competitions. And I teach too and make a few extra buck."
DR: "Oh, but you're not a 'police certified' instructor... you don't issue that certificate you need for a permit"
ME: "YES i do"
DR: touches me some more (remember I'm on my back in my underwear) "I think I'd like to hire you"

So it goes on like this for a couple of minutes, us talking about him getting his permit all the time I'm lying there in mostly naked while he periodically pokes me. At one point I ask, "So you're not one of those doctors that asks kids if 'daddy has any guns in the house?'" Him: "No, I don't ask that, some of these guys do, but I don't"

A pro-gun doctor and soon to be happy student [grin]

Our pediatrician asked this question just after our first was born. At the time, we didn't have any firearms so we answered that way.

I can't wait until they ask again...

"Yes, but I try to make sure they're unloaded before putting them in the crib at night. Otherwise she might wake us up when she's playing with them."

upstomp said:
Our pediatrician asked this question just after our first was born. At the time, we didn't have any firearms so we answered that way.

I can't wait until they ask again...

"Yes, but I try to make sure they're unloaded before putting them in the crib at night. Otherwise she might wake us up when she's playing with them."

I highly suggest you DO NOT do this. They will report you to DFS.

I would just train my kid to think of it as a private family matter and if anyone asks just say "yes they are my dads, I dont know anything about them and they are always locked up". That should end the conversation quickly.

All you need to do is teach them to plainly say "Sorry, but I don't think that is a relevant question during a medical visit...but thanks for asking. Do you have any guns at home Doc??"

why can't you just say it's none of your business? Just tell your kids to "ask my parents that question" and when they ask you say "that's none of your business"

Gonzo has it right. I was called at home one day by my kids' elementary school guidance counselor, and she said that she'd heard my oldest son ( about 8 years old at the time) talking about shooting.

She: "Do you have guns at home?"

Me: "Yes."

She: " How are they stored?"

Me: "Properly."

End of discussion.

A while later, in a discussion of the Constitution in social studies, my son came to the defense of 2A, and explained that it was not wrong or weird to shoot, that in Mass., one needs licenses, etc. (An eye-opener to the teacher, as well as the kids). I asked the teacher if she wanted any clarification about what my son had explained, and was told that he'd done an excellent job.

My other son wears his NRA Rifle Qualification patches literally on his sleeve at school. His teacher asked about them and I invited him out Trap shooting.

We will never regain ground, and will continue to be marginalized, until we become "Out, Loud, and Proud!"

Now, instead of a Rainbow flag, what should we use for a symbol? A bullseye target with holes? A clay target in pieces? "AA" (as in 2A). [grin]

We need to stop hiding, and get the people that only get their info from Antis to see that we're not a bunch of nuts.

My doctor has asked me this question several times during my annual physicals, I would say 8 out of 10 years now. I asked him why he wanted to know, he said it is a pretty common question, because most doctors use a standardized checklist. I asked if I could see the list of questions, and sure enough, it had all kinds of questions, like, since I ride motorcycles, do you wear a helmet all the time when riding and so on. He said it comes from one of the medical clubs most Primary Care doctors belong too, for statistical info. He said #1 it is for himself to get to know his patients. I asked if any of this gets reported, he said that he provides data for research, like every other doctor, and that by law and even his personal belief, no names or private info is ever given out. I also asked if he reported to any government entitiy. He said that, only time when he is allowed to give any info out, is if they have a warrant or a court order, or if he has a very good reason that he thinks that you are going to harm yourself or others, basically a danger to people in general, and even then it is all limited info. I have had this doctor for going on 15 years, I trust him and him and I have had many heart to hearts, and amongst these talks was his view on guns, he is not opposed to people having guns, he has none himself, and that for him it was a personal choice. He thinks people have a right to them, if they so choose involve them in their lives, he just wants people to be safe. I asked what he thought about gun laws in MA, he was honest about not knowing to much other than people are required to have a license and trigger locks and storage. I talked to him about it, and even he thinks that some of the laws and regs are stupid, and make no sense. I told him that some people think that question is strange to be asked at a physical. He said he respects peoples opinion, and they can choose not to answer it, and that he only provides the answers to questions for demographic and statistical purposes, and he would never share his files with any other doctor for general purposes, he will however, for medical reasons share with a doctor any medical needs only, he will not share your profile with anyone. He also dislikes the idea of the government having one big mainframe for centralized medical records, he is opposed to the idea, and thinks it moraly wrong.
Do I trust my doctor, yup. Do I think he is telling the truth, yup. Do I have a problem with him asking the question, nope. He knows I have guns, yet he checks off no because he knows my thoughts on privacy. Does he do this for all his patients, I don't know, but all I care about is me.
Next thing to do, is see if he would like to go to the range just for a fun and educational day out. Well we can wait for the next visit I have, then I will pop the question. One day at a time, one person at a time, but I will take what I can get.

Last edited:
Well said, Moparman.

Whatever you choose to answer, answer politely. No need to play right into the media stereotypes of gun owners.

My kids Dr asked this in a questionier, and I just said "yes". She said "Thanks , most people just lie"

First time I got asked this question was last year. I am 40 or so and six feet tall and the wrong side of 200 pounds. First question was are there guns in your house. I said yes. Second question was do you feel safe. I answered of course I feel safe, they're my guns.

I agree with Jose: it is not a good idea to leave your kids with the doctor alone. They should learn for an early age that there are questions they have a right not to answer.

Interesting discussion. I wonder if it's a MA thing? or doctors in MA are more likely to ask, even if it's on an AMA national checklist? I've never been asked in RI or Maine. I have 3 kids, and none of them have ever been asked in RI or Maine, with dozens of doctor's visits and at least 5 different pediatricians. Maybe they ask kids starting at a certain age, as my oldest is only 7?

+1

Gonzo has it right. I was called at home one day by my kids' elementary school guidance counselor, and she said that she'd heard my oldest son ( about 8 years old at the time) talking about shooting.

She: "Do you have guns at home?"

Me: "Yes."

She: " How are they stored?"

Me: "Properly."

End of discussion.

A while later, in a discussion of the Constitution in social studies, my son came to the defense of 2A, and explained that it was not wrong or weird to shoot, that in Mass., one needs licenses, etc. (An eye-opener to the teacher, as well as the kids). I asked the teacher if she wanted any clarification about what my son had explained, and was told that he'd done an excellent job.

My other son wears his NRA Rifle Qualification patches literally on his sleeve at school. His teacher asked about them and I invited him out Trap shooting.

We will never regain ground, and will continue to be marginalized, until we become "Out, Loud, and Proud!"

Now, instead of a Rainbow flag, what should we use for a symbol? A bullseye target with holes? A clay target in pieces? "AA" (as in 2A). [grin]

We need to stop hiding, and get the people that only get their info from Antis to see that we're not a bunch of nuts.

I just had a check up a few days ago... and the doc started asking questions...

Doc: "Do you feel safe at home?"
Me: *chuckled*
Doc: "I'll take that as a 'yes'"

Then the Doc takes a quick look at the other questions... and looks like he's thinking about what to ask next... then just puts his pen down as if to say "nevermind"... and continues with the check up.

He never asked about firearms though. He probably thought I'd just laugh again. [smile]

I still think the big question is... WHY? Why is this asked? Why is it relevant? And what is being done with the info?

I see no added value the Dr gets by finding this information. The only practical use for the MD to know this is to inform the "proper authorities" if they feel that you should not be in posession of said items.

But, I do see a lot of possibly unintentional down side. Short of filling out this form, and putting it into the shredder immediately after the appointment, what happens to the form? Who sees it? Who has access to it?

At my previous MD, the doc was great, the nurse was nice. But, it really turned me off to be sitting waiting for the appointment and get to listen to all of the admins goof on the previous patients, talk about how sad or how funny it was that patient X was just diagnosed with Y. And that they had best now file that report before the next appt comes in and the MD comes out..

Last edited:
I have heard of this happening around the country. It just gives them one more excuse to take your guns and or your kids too. It may be the AMA, but they get their orders from you know who.

Back
Top Bottom