• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor asking kids about guns

The statistics presented are bogus at best and meant more so to ramp up the values for a sympathic ear towards the cause of disarming people for the sake of the children. At one point perhaps someone along the line had their hearts in the right place and wanted to address firearms storage and safety in regards to children, which is admirable considering, but recently it seems to be more of a disarmament tool.

In the same situation, as I want to instill in my children not to lie, I answer the question with 'sometimes we go hunting' or 'we are thinking of getting into hunting and camping'. For me anyway, it states that we may or may not have firearms, and sugar coats a question I was not that comfortable answering in the first place. It also puts in back on the Doctor to start grilling me for more information at which point the topic can be changed...or your doctor might tell you her husband hunts as well. :)

Point being, you have to be careful with the data, but depending on where you live the question may be innocent, its better to feel out the questioner rather than ranting on the spot, having them note you are an angry gun owner and dropping that note in your kids file..which will at some point go upstream since that portion is not covered by HIPPA. I'm not comfy with a medical practice having that much info.

I dont have kids but I would not let the doctor be alone with my kids. If the doctor asked that question, I'd simply say yes I do have guns in the house. I'm a lawful firearms owner and I store my guns safely. I'd also tell him/her that I have bleach, ammonia and drano under the sink. Then I'd politely tell them to keep their liberal agenda to themselves and do their job, i.e. practice medicine. I'd make it quite clear that they'd be losing a patient if they continued to press the issue.

I suppose if they are going to get nosey and political, it is just as fair that WE get nosey and political.
We can start asking them if they are liberal and/ or Democrats as a condition of us taking our business to them.

There are enough MDs out there, there are enough of us. Once it starts hitting them in the bank account maybe they will have an epiphany..

We can always put our money where our mouths are as well...

I suppose if they are going to get nosey and political, it is just as fair that WE get nosey and political.
We can start asking them if they are liberal and/ or Democrats as a condition of us taking our business to them.

There are enough MDs out there, there are enough of us. Once it starts hitting them in the bank account maybe they will have an epiphany..

We can always put our money where our mouths are as well...

I agree totally. Part of the reason that we (conservatives and gun owners etc.) are in the fix that we are in is because people in general take the path of least resistance. If we stood up for our rights from day one the leftist nut jobs wouldn't have been able to stomp on our rights so easily. Most people would rather keep their PCP and not make waves because they are selfish. "Let someone else stand up for our rights" It's sorta like the guys in the schoolyard that run when a friend is getting the hell beat out of him rather than sticking together. We have to stick together regardless of the cost and inconvenience to our person lives. It's for the greater good. When I was in .... oh maybe the 4th grade, (I'm 50 yo now) I remember watching a filmstrip with my class about communism (Russia in particular), and it talked about how they would indoctrinate children at an early age to rat out their parents if they weren't 100% on board with sociaslism or showed any dissention toward the government. Hmmmm, a medical professional asking a child about guns in the house or how about Yobama's youth corpe that he wants to institute. Sound like the way Hitler infiltrated the youth of Germany?
Bottom line, we don't need to go shooting anyone, we just need to stand up for our rights and vote in a unified fashion and be heard. The truth is that we outnumber the left-wing nuts, we just have to speak up and put our money where our mouth is.
Just my $0.02 worth. .... okay it was more like $0.25 !

Rick<><

Last edited:
Sigh... Anything they ask you during the questionnaire is protected health information and cannot be shared with anyone. They can only share DV information or information that you intend to violently harm either yourself or others (and that is information that they are legally required to report, not something that they have a choice in). Being a gun owner does not count as information that they can share.

The doctors ask this question because the AMA (or whatever group they belong to) recommends it. I used to tell her it was none of her business, but now I answer it truthfully and don't take it personally.

I had to bring my son in for a throat culture on Monday and the PA directed this question sort of to both of us. We looked at each other and started laughing.

I told her that I have guns, that I'm an instructor, and that I store them according to the safe storage laws.

She had no idea what I was talking about. I gave her a brief overview of the permitting process and the storage laws and she was amazed. Next time I'll explain to her why those laws are unconstitutional.

I also asked her if she'd ever had a patient die in a firearm accident (No). Then I asked her if she'd ever had a kid that drowned in a pool. She was silent. Then I said, "You didn't ask me about a pool."

Also... Just for the record, the firearm statistic WRT suicides are skewed. The number of suicide attempts in homes with/without firearms are nearly identical. However the number of successful suicides are higher in homes with firearms because guns are about 90% efficient; which is way higher than other methods.

When you say that the numbers in firearm/non-firearm homes are the same, you mean the percentages right? That's the assumption I had always operated under.

The only justified reason to ask this would be concerns about lead poisoning. And even then the question should be worded "do you participate in shooting sports involving possible lead exposure?" Otherwise butt the F out!

When you say that the numbers in firearm/non-firearm homes are the same, you mean the percentages right? That's the assumption I had always operated under.

Yes. No. Sort of.

I mean the number of suicide attempts per-capita in homes with and without firearms is the same. However, people that chose a firearm for suicide did a much better job at it than people that choose other methods (pills, wrist-slitting, etc) so the statistics are skewed.

Then there's always the "Japan Argument" WRT suicides- Japan has one of the lowest per capita firearms ownership rates in the world and an extremely high suicide rate, which sorta debunks the "guns enable suicide" argument.

-Mike

If you are the paranoid type, like me.. You might also consider that ANYTHING you tell your dr that is written down, is generally sent out to a third party company to be transcribed and entered into a data base medical record. As a lot of these outfits are out of state or out of the US, they will keep a copy on their drives locally and send the info electronically back to the Dr.

Potentially, any systems can be hacked into. Or potentially, people that you may not want to see your private info may have access to it in some way.

If you are the paranoid type, like me.. You might also consider that ANYTHING you tell your dr that is written down, is generally sent out to a third party company to be transcribed and entered into a data base medical record. As a lot of these outfits are out of state or out of the US, they will keep a copy on their drives locally and send the info electronically back to the Dr.

Potentially, any systems can be hacked into. Or potentially, people that you may not want to see your private info may have access to it in some way.

Um... [rolleyes]

For starters, not all offices, perhaps not even a majority of offices, use electronic records. And even when they are stored off site, they are still subject to the same regulations.

Last edited:
Yes!

Doctors have a lot more to worry about than trying to illegally collude with the government concerning one question on a medical questionnaire!

Not reading the entire thread at all. Too much crown and coke in me. BUT,

We get no where by hiding, gentlemen. I have two healthy, above-average kids. I have guns in the house. Let the doc know. Tell them you also have carpentry tools and off-road vehicles. f***'em. Seriously. To err on the side of caution is to let them think that there are few resposible gun owners. Take a lesson from the homosexual movement. Remember the "day wihout gay" which was designed to cripple the economy for a day and no one noticed? Imagine a day without gun owners.

When I saw a pediatrician, he never asked. And he's one of those super-lib Newton guys. I sort of always hated him, and when I told him I go shooting (unprovoked) he did shy away, but never asked in the first place.

He probably just didn't think anyone in Newton actually owns guns.

But, you're probably right. Hopefully I won't have that problem in Texas.

It's an AMA thing. They recommend that doctors ask it when they're taking a history. In Texas, they probably photocopy the forms with the box already checked.

Hah, I'd imagine you're right. Though you'd be surprised with some parts of Texas...I swear, they're no better than Metro-West.

Isn't there a doctor patient confidentiality? Wouldn't it be potential trouble for a doctor to report your LEGAL activity to others?

MGL C.112 S 12G removes any civil or criminal liability for a doctor who discloses patient information required by any law. And C.119 S 51A requires doctors to report suspicion of actual or potential for physical or mental abuse to a child.

So, unfortunately, no. If the AMA seems to think that guns in the home is a risk to a child's welfare, and the doctor reports guns in the home following those guidelines, there is no potential for legal trouble for that doctor.

I'd say that there is most certainly potential for trouble for that doctor. Ownership of guns is not something that is indicative of a potential for abuse to a child, no matter what the AMA says.

I'd say that there is most certainly potential for trouble for that doctor. Ownership of guns is not something that is indicative of a potential for abuse to a child, no matter what the AMA says.

According to C. 119 S 51A you have to show that the report is frivolous in order for there to be any trouble for the reporter. All the doctor has to show is that he was following AMA recommendations and he/she would completely be in the clear, even though we all know it's ridiculous and not founded in reality. The law is set up on purpose this way so that nobody is afraid to report potential abuse.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the interpretation. However, I do stand by my statement that I think doctors are busy enough that they couldn't care less about a simple "yes" answer on the questionnaire.

I have not been asked..yet. Took my youngest to a check up a couple of weeks ago and was expecting it but it never came.

If they do ask, I will just let them know that I think them asking the question is downright stupid and tell them the truth. I've got nothing to hide, even from them.

I don't see it as a big deal and don't blame the doc. Unless he/she pushed it and then I'd be looking for another doc.

More liberal idiocracy.

I'd look at it this way. Smoking is advocated against by the AMA, etc as well. Studies show it is harmful to people, including children. But the doctor isn't going to report you to DSS for child abuse because you smoke.

Everyone should remember that while, as a forum of responsible firearms owners, we often have a "us against them" mentality, the fact is that not everyone who isn't a firearms owner is out to get us. That includes doctors. Doctors aren't going to report anything unless they truly think that there's a potential for abuse, because its more of a PITA with paperwork, etc for them. For compliance with regulations like that, the majority of doctors are going to report only if they really feel they need to cover their ass legally in case something does happen.

Back
Top Bottom