• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor asking kids about guns

I know this has been hashed around before but it happened to me,or my wife.The question,are there guns in the house?How is this even ok.What happens when that infomation get into the wrong hands or the receptioist wants to impress her friends with this knowledge.If I'm in the room and this happens I'll tell him the truth then I'll ask him a personal question,"do you masterbate","and how do you store it when not in use?"

Never leave a doctor alone with your kids until they are old enough to stand up against this kind of bullshit.

My daughter tells the truth. Yes, guns are locked securely and it's Dad's concern not mine.

I know this has been hashed around before but it happened to me,or my wife.The question,are there guns in the house?How is this even ok.What happens when that infomation get into the wrong hands or the receptioist wants to impress her friends with this knowledge.If I'm in the room and this happens I'll tell him the truth then I'll ask him a personal question,"do you masterbate","and how do you store it when not in use?"

Here is a good thread on this topic.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49744&highlight=doctor

here is the slippery slope.

The Dr is a mandatory reporter to DSS, he hears something like there is a gun in the house my daddy likes to....... and next thing you know DSS and the cops are on your doorstep, and like those bugs in Worcester they ain't going away anytime soon.

Kids should know at a certain age about guns, and if they are aware that they are in the home they need to be told nobody gets told that there are guns in the house or that mommy or daddy carry one.

My kids learned that lesson when they were 5 years old

A poster in the other thread mentioned that there has been a big movement in the medical literature to get primary care practitioners (PCPs) to ask about storage of guns in the home. A lot of this literature has been about the link between having a firearm in the home and injury from accidents or suicide.

The literature I've read about the link between having a firearm in the home and suicide, for example, has been pretty convincing. However, there's a big caveat: the literature establishes a correlative link, but not a causal link. That is, having a gun in the house does not cause an increased chance of suicide or injury, but there is a statistically significant higher rate of suicide in homes that have guns than those that don't. The thing is that there are other factors that correlate with gun ownership (living in the south, for example), and these factors may correlate in very complicated ways with suicide. Some of these other factors are correlated with serious injury or death (e.g., driving a car).

Sort of a long way of pointing out that a PCP asking about gun ownership is probably asking the wrong questions. Instead, he/she should be focusing on things like diet, exercise, and depression. If a PCP asks you about guns in the house, there are many ways of approaching the situation (some great ones are in the other thread), one way to turn the conversation in a positive manner could be to point out that firearms in the house have not been shown to be a causal risk factor for anything, and that your limited time with the PCP would be more effectively used discussing something such as physical or mental health.

A poster in the other thread mentioned that there has been a big movement in the medical literature to get primary care practitioners (PCPs) to ask about storage of guns in the home. A lot of this literature has been about the link between having a firearm in the home and injury from accidents or suicide.

The literature I've read about the link between having a firearm in the home and suicide, for example, has been pretty convincing. However, there's a big caveat: the literature establishes a correlative link, but not a causal link. That is, having a gun in the house does not cause an increased chance of suicide or injury, but there is a statistically significant higher rate of suicide in homes that have guns than those that don't. The thing is that there are other factors that correlate with gun ownership (living in the south, for example), and these factors may correlate in very complicated ways with suicide. Some of these other factors are correlated with serious injury or death (e.g., driving a car).

Sort of a long way of pointing out that a PCP asking about gun ownership is probably asking the wrong questions. Instead, he/she should be focusing on things like diet, exercise, and depression. If a PCP asks you about guns in the house, there are many ways of approaching the situation (some great ones are in the other thread), one way to turn the conversation in a positive manner could be to point out that firearms in the house have not been shown to be a causal risk factor for anything, and that your limited time with the PCP would be more effectively used discussing something such as physical or mental health.

Simpson's paradox?

However, there's a big caveat: the literature establishes a correlative link, but not a causal link. That is, having a gun in the house does not cause an increased chance of suicide or injury, but there is a statistically significant higher rate of suicide in homes that have guns than those that don't.

Just to be clear, the data doesn't prove whether a gun in the house causes an increased risk of suicide or doesn't cause an increased risk. Such statistical studies can show correlation, but not causation. That is, they don't show that causation exists or doesn't exist -- at the end of the study you just don't know.

Your statement is that a gun in the house does not cause increased chance of suicide. The data doesn't show that -- you can't determine from the studies whether a gun in the house does or does not cause increased the risk of suicide.

For example, there is a 100% correlation between drinking water and death. Every single person who dies, EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO DIES DRANK WATER!!!! Perfect correlation. Doesn't tell you @!@#! about causation.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the data doesn't prove whether a gun in the house causes an increased risk of suicide or doesn't cause an increased risk. Such statistical studies can show correlation, but not causation. That is, they don't show that causation exists or doesn't exist -- at the end of the study you just don't know.

Your statement is that a gun in the house does not cause increased chance of suicide. The data doesn't show that -- you can't determine from the studies whether a gun in the house does or does not show increase the risk of suicide.

For example, there is a 100% correlation between drinking water and death. Every single person who dies, EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO DIES DRANK WATER!!!! Perfect correlation. Doesn't tell you @!@#! about causation.

Simpson's paradox?

This is a good topic, glad it's here. I just had a physical last month and that was one of the questions asked by my PCP. I just avoided it totally, just didn't see the correlation to my health and guns. I don't know what he put down for an answer, maybe left it blank.

Seamsealer

Simpson's paradox?

Nothing that complex. The fact that two variables are correlated doesn't mean that one caused the other (or vice versa).

Everyone who dies drank water. There is, thus, a perfect correlation between drinking water and dying. Does drinking water cause death? No.

Nothing that complex. The fact that two variables are correlated doesn't mean that one caused the other (or vice versa).

Everyone who dies drank water. There is, thus, a perfect correlation between drinking water and dying. Does drinking water cause death? No.

True. Actually, drinking water could cause death, if it's consumed in extreme excess.

True. Actually, drinking water could cause death, if it's consumed in extreme excess.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the media doesn't understand the difference between correlation and causation, so people often make incorrect assumptions when presented with such statistics.

here is the slippery slope.

The Dr is a mandatory reporter to DSS, he hears something like there is a gun in the house my daddy likes to....... and next thing you know DSS and the cops are on your doorstep, and like those bugs in Worcester they ain't going away anytime soon.

Kids should know at a certain age about guns, and if they are aware that they are in the home they need to be told nobody gets told that there are guns in the house or that mommy or daddy carry one.

My kids learned that lesson when they were 5 years old

and once you are entered into the DSS system even ONCE, regardless if they decide nothing is wrong or if they investigate. you are in their system FOREVER.

Tell the doctor you will be finding a doctor that does not ask questions he doesnt need to ask.

Your statement is that a gun in the house does not cause increased chance of suicide. The data doesn't show that -- you can't determine from the studies whether a gun in the house does or does not cause increased the risk of suicide.

Yes, thank you for the clarification. I should have said something like, "there is no evidence [that I know of, FWIW] conclusively demonstrating a causative link between gun ownership and suicide."

My bad, thanks for the astute pick up.

Just a little more about big brother watching everything we do. A year ago my truck was totaled by a driver pulling in front of me, I just could not stop. After the negotiations with the insurance company and before they would release a check to me, they needed my soc. sec. number. I asked why and they told me, so they could run it into the state computers and make sure I didn't owe any child support. This was a bit of a surprise. They probably would have kept the money if there was a problem.
I think we've got a little too much big brother in this country. We seem to be losing our rights on a regular basis. We have zero privacy.[sad]

I know this has been hashed around before but it happened to me,or my wife.The question,are there guns in the house?How is this even ok.

Am I missing something....Who was this question asked to? The title says "kids" but you say "me, or my wife".

Is it a hypothetical?

I am confused. But regardless..they can ask anything...but you don't have to answer and it is none of their business.

I don't feel the doctor has any right to ask, any more than they can ask if your mommy keeps expensive jewelry in her bedroom or a spare house key under the doormat. If I caught a Dr asking this of my kid, we'd be having some words.

ntsa_1.jpg

hmmm. How about this one....
"If I tell you I have guns, will you tell me how many malpractice suits have been filed against you (including out of court settlements)??"

Did you know you are 30% (making up statistics here) to be killed or disabled by doctor negligence than through a legally owned firearm accident?"

hmmm. How about this one....
"If I tell you I have guns, will you tell me how many malpractice suits have been filed against you (including out of court settlements)??"

Did you know you are 30% (making up statistics here) to be killed or disabled by doctor negligence than through a legally owned firearm accident?"

TRY 9000 times more likely

US Gun Statistics
Various Sources
2-2-5

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Gun
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
Yes, that is 80 million.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

I knew it was a big number... But did not know it was that big..

Regardless, the point is/ was to point out that doctors are FAR more dangerous than firearms.. And to some extent turn it back on them...

Back
Top Bottom