• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doc visit

The Ugly

NES Member
Happy Thanksgiving!

i do not like going but here is snipit from recent doctor visit:

doc asks "do you have any guns at home?"

(I had intentionally left this Q unanswered on form)

my reply: "doc I have a gun on me now..."

i get this uneasy look as I suggest: "why don't we leave politics out of it?"

he agreed...

WTF

There's tons of threads on here about this topic........but I agree, I'll take his advice about firearms as readily as I'll take medical advice from my LGS

Yeah I'm not sure why you wouldn't say no. It's none of their business and you obviously feel that way or you wouldn't have left the question blank.

As much as i would like to answer in the same manner. I would be answering no. I was originally going to aswer like that but my wife advised me against it. She has worked in the medical field for about 10 years (the last 2 in records dept) and she asssured me answering a question like that in any other way then "no i do not own guns" will end up in your medical record's and follow you forever. I am a proud gun owner but dont want that in my med record's because it is none of there buisness

As much as i would like to answer in the same manner. I would be answering no. I was originally going to aswer like that but my wife advised me against it. She has worked in the medical field for about 10 years (the last 2 in records dept) and she asssured me answering a question like that in any other way then "no i do not own guns" will end up in your medical record's and follow you forever. I am a proud gun owner but dont want that in my med record's because it is none of there buisness

I know, I know.... I'd even rehearsed prior to visit but that just fell outta my big trap, guess I'm just getting old & dgaf much....

Ty & I know "no" was the only reasonable response..

I was even tempted to go on rant and tell him that i do not have the needs to own any guns but i am actually very pro 2a and that it was none of his business if people want to own guns but decided just a plain no worked best for me.

My 6 year old has never been asked but every time we bring him to the docs he is thoroughly instructed to tell the doc "i dont know ask my parent's" (when he actually has a gun of his own). Its not like he will be alone with the doctor until he is much older.

I was even tempted to go on rant and tell him that i do not have the needs to own any guns but i am actually very pro 2a and that it was none of his business if people want to own guns but decided just a plain no worked best for me.

My 6 year old has never been asked but every time we bring him to the docs he is thoroughly instructed to tell the doc "i dont know ask my parent's" (when he actually has a gun of his own). Its not like he will be alone with the doctor until he is much older.

That is some fkd up chit man.... Working the kids to get to the parent

I must be lucky my Dr hasn't asked me about owning firearms though I told her ages that I do and don't care if it's in some medical data base somewhere.

I recently took my Primary Care Doc to the range. He is a hot shit. A few years back, he asked me that question as he was going down the list. I took off my jacket, removed my shoulder holster and hung my 226 over the chair back, and looked him right in the eye and said "Nope".

Driving back from the range he wondered if anyone was ever going to question him about the fact that none of his patients are gun owners.

I must be lucky too. My doctor asked me years ago about hobbies and I told him I enjoy shooting. He was curious and asked about licensing requirements, so I pointed him towards GOAL. I know he now owns at least a pistol for target shooting.

That is some fkd up chit man.... Working the kids to get to the parent

Although we are always prepared for it they have never actually asked my son about it. I have talked to other parents with children my sons age and they have been asked that question.

My family of 5 all go to the same PCP office. They have 3 MDs and 2 NPs.

The office is high tech paperless with everything being done on a tablet.
Everything is new and state of the art.......So I always expected them to go with the growing trend of asking about guns.

Three teens and the Mrs. and I.

They ask the kids about sports, bullying, bike helmets, risk taking, peer pressure and various other stuff - But never the "G" word. If the question should arise they've been instructed to politely answer - "My dad says I don't need to answer that question because it's none of your business.."

And life goes on.

I just recently switched to a new doctor, and wasn't asked about guns. On the visit summary handout in the safety/health tips, it said "if you own guns, be knowledgeable about their safe operation and store them such that children and untrained persons cannot gain access."

My Wife and I both had regular check-up appts this week with our PCP. At the end of my Wife's visit, the Doc asked me if I owned guns and I said "yes, why what do you need?" (always wanted to use that line) [rofl]

He then proceeds to tell me that he's taken a few lessons with a retired LEO at a local gun club and shows me pics of him shooting an AR (9mm) and handgun and said he'll probably apply for his LTC.

Now to put things in proper perspective: We've known him personally since he started his practice ~40 yrs ago, he was in the Jaycees with us (that's how we met him) back then, he knows I was a PO for many years and has seen me working in uniform, he knows that I'm partially retired but teach MA gun law and other shooting classes, plus I had him test me for lead a few years ago. Normally I'd answer no and ignore questions like that on forms, but in his case I made an exception.

Is this because you are worried if you say yes you can't get any more of your mind altering prescription pills, or as everyone else says, dope.

Is this because you are worried if you say yes you can't get any more of your mind altering prescription pills, or as everyone else says, dope.

If it gets reported to MIB, there is a very good chance that insurance companies won't write homeowners/renters insurance due to guns! There are multiple stories here where members have been turned down due to ownership of guns, so it is a real concern. Also too much personal info in databases is not good for anyone but those that sell data.

If it gets reported to MIB, there is a very good chance that insurance companies won't write homeowners/renters insurance due to guns! There are multiple stories here where members have been turned down due to ownership of guns, so it is a real concern. Also too much personal info in databases is not good for anyone but those that sell data.

I suspect the frequency with which NES boating accidents occur also may play into things there. [rofl]

Once again , len is right on top of it.
I Consider myself lucky to be a recipient of all the pearls of wisdom delt out.
Thanks,
MIB= medical info bureau . The company that sells your private med records. Yes.

Many years ago at my sons check up the Doctor asked me in front of my son if I had guns at home. I said ask him, my son said "I don't know" he was about five at the time.

I looked at the Doctor and said not as far as either one of you know and smiled.

You may wish to get a quote from Nationwide. Their standard homeowners' policy covers firearms and jewelry as well. Good company; never a problem with them.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom