Doc Padgett - MACV SOG Medic - Interview

According to this webpage How Top-Secret Commando Unit SOG took on the Most Dangerous Missions in Vietnam MACV SOG was orginally called "Special Operations Group", but later renamed to "Studies and Observations Group".
I have some serious doubts about that webpage.
My memories are the other way around.
I never heard it called Special Operations Group until a stupid TV show came out in the late 70’s or early 80’s.
Neve heard anybody in Vietnam refer to it by anything but Studies and Observations Group!

I have some serious doubts about that webpage.
My memories are the other way around.
I never heard it called Special Operations Group until a stupid TV show came out in the late 70’s or early 80’s.
Neve heard anybody in Vietnam refer to it by anything but Studies and Observations Group!
I can understand that.
I'm almost positive I've heard (or read) that claim about the name change before.
I'll look though some more of my references to try and find the citation.
The term "Special Operations" has certainly become a buzzword in the last few decades.
If Doc Padgett did misspeak about the name I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Received this reply from John Stryker Meyer aka "Tilt" (a MACV SOG veteran) via Instagram:

tilt reply part 1.png
tilt reply part 2.png

MACV SOG was always “Studies and Observations Group.” It was originally a CIA
Project.
In the 80’s a TV show came out titled “Tour of Duty,” and they called it Special Operations Group!
I would meet a lot of posers back then who told me they were in MACV SOG and were easily busted for lying just because they believed the bullshit on the TV show.
It is an easy red flag to spot.
That is why I question the guy being interviewed in the OP.
Prove me wrong!

Prove me wrong!
I'm not out to prove anyone wrong.
My intent is to seek and provide the correct historical information.
Such as this:
"Although SOG officially stands for Studies and Observations Group, for the first few months of its creation in 1964 it stood for Special Operations Group - until it was realized how much unwanted attention this could draw to the unit."
Greco, F. (2009). In Running Recon A Photo Journey With SOG Special Ops Along the Ho Chi Minh Trail (p. 1). Gardners Books.
Frank Greco ran recon for eight months with RT Colorado.

Also, the official narrative for SOG's Presidential Unit Citation (not presented until April 4, 2001) at this webpage references both "Special Operation Group" and "Studies and Observations Group":
MACV SOG PUC

My first contact in 'Huey' UH1C gunships with SOG teams was when they were in contact with the NVA in triple canopy in my AO, III corps. Nothing but the highest respect. I was fortunate enough to attend a SOG few reunions. I don't remember much about the reunions.....lol

I recollect doing numerous missions for Special Forces teams particularly in the most upper portion of III Corps around Song Be which happened to be the home of a large concentration of Montagnards. I often wonder what fate the Montagnard people met following our departure from Vietnam. They were great fighters and fiercely loyal to us.

I recollect doing numerous missions for Special Forces teams particularly in the most upper portion of III Corps around Song Be which happened to be the home of a large concentration of Montagnards. I often wonder what fate the Montagnard people met following our departure from Vietnam. They were great fighters and fiercely loyal to us.

Probably not good. We don't have a really good track record of taking care of our allies after we stop fighting. Look at what the Afghans are starting to go through. Although there was a report recently about a program to bring translators and their families over here, a positive move.

On a separate note, speaking of SOG. There is a book coming out about Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver soon.

Probably not good. We don't have a really good track record of taking care of our allies after we stop fighting. Look at what the Afghans are starting to go through. Although there was a report recently about a program to bring translators and their families over here, a positive move.

On a separate note, speaking of SOG. There is a book coming out about Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver soon.

I'm in for a copy!

Back
Top Bottom