Do you wish you had bought a progressive

FLHTC

NES Member
Hello everyone, I am on the fence about which reloaded to buy. I was just wondering of those people who have single stage or turret loaders feel they handle the shells to many times and are there any regrets that they didn't buy a progressive loader.

I don't intend to do any rifle reloading.
I suspect I'll load .38/.357, .45ACP .44mag and maybe 9mm

I got a 550B first and was very happy with it. I recently got a Lee single stage, and am also very happy with it. I currently reload .45ACP and 9mm. I use the single stage for working up different loads and experimenting because I can be much more precise with everything. I make small batches and group them at the range. When I find something that I like I transfer that data to my Dillon and crank out rounds. I know you can work up data on a semi-progressive like the 550, and I know my method isn't the most efficient, but it works for me and it's a lot of fun.

My brother in law wishes he did and he only loads shot shells.

I had the same thoughts about my shotshell reloaded. Yea, I guess I knew the answer I was trying justify cheaping out with a single stage but I know I won't be happy with it. I guess I'm looking to spend an easy $500 for a Dillon and the dies and shell plates that I'll need.

I'll add that I don't like rifle on progressive, because I'm still not over my fear of jamming cases on the resizer.... I think that is why I stopped reloading (that and moving), even though I figured out why it was jamming and mostly resolved it.

I had the same thoughts about my shotshell reloaded. Yea, I guess I knew the answer I was trying justify cheaping out with a single stage but I know I won't be happy with it. I guess I'm looking to spend an easy $500 for a Dillon and the dies and shell plates that I'll need.

At the end of the day, the real answer is how much do you value your time compared to the value of the product you are making. If you look at Ochmude and some of the folks who mention they experiment and/or do rifle loads with single stages while pumping out handgun rounds with progressives, there is a clear theme here. Increasing the time spent doesn't add to the product when pumping out lots of rounds. So it is best to use a little of your time as possible.

I'll add that I don't like rifle on progressive, because I'm still not over my fear of jamming cases on the resizer.... I think that is why I stopped reloading (that and moving), even though I figured out why it was jamming and mostly resolved it.

You can jam cases in a sizer on a single stage press (ask me how I know). [smile]

I'm a complete newb, but I am working on a progressive and can't imagine loading .45 on a single stage for any quantity. I have an old single stage and a old progressive (Hornady Projector). The setup is the same and you make a round with every handle cycle. Go progressive.

I reloaded .45 on a single stage Lee for the better part of 10 years. My wife's grandfather taught me that way so I would learn all the steps and focus on each case. Then he bought a Dillon Square Deal and the rest is history. I now own 2 that I keep set up for .45 and 9mm. I will never go back to that Lee press for handguns but I certainly do not regret the time spent at that press. It is kind of relaxing.

I do use it for rifle rounds though for much of the same reasons I used it to start out.

That all being said, if I were to completly start over I would go with the single stage again because it is a small investment to try/start a hobby. It would kind of suck if you spent all the money on a progressive to find out reloading isn't for you. Same thing could be said for balance beam scales vs. electronic.

I started with a Lyman single stage back in the mid 80's. I got the entire setup cheap, on the very last hour of the last day Ivanhoes was open. I moved up to a Dillon 550 when my collection grew and I began adding different calibers. I do all my pistol stuff on the Dillon (.30-30, .30 M1 Carbine, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, 9mm,.38 Sp, .357 Mag. .357 Max, .40S&W, .44 Sp, .44 Mag, .45 ACP and .45LC. I still use the Lyman for my low production rifle ammo, .308, .30-06, 8mm and 7.62x39. I don't even own an 8mm or .30-06 anymore, and I still have a bunch of .308 that I loaded twenty years ago.

Looks like I'll buy a progressive, I assume I'll buy a Dillon, however I was hoping not to spend that much money. Between dies (.38/.357, .45ACP, 44Mag) and the shell plates I'm looking at more than $700. The funny thing is when I save $700 or so, I want to buy another gun not a reloader.

Looks like I'll buy a progressive, I assume I'll buy a Dillon, however I was hoping not to spend that much money. Between dies (.38/.357, .45ACP, 44Mag) and the shell plates I'm looking at more than $700. The funny thing is when I save $700 or so, I want to buy another gun not a reloader.

I have a Dillon 550 but yesterday I saw Fixxah's Hornady LnL and I am impressed with that
press (pun intended). You should really check the Hornady out before you purchase. It
seems the main bitch about the press (ejector wire) Hornady has fixed recently.

I have a Lee classic turret. I couldn't afford a progressive when I started. I was amazed with the turret press. I can load 200 rounds per hour which is fast enough for me. I loaded on a friends Dillon 550 and it was a very nice press but at 200 RPH I hate to spend the money on another press when I can use it for other things I need more.
Rusty

good luck getting one, mines been on backorder for 8 weeks now....hopefully the 23rd it will ship.

I have a Dillon 550 but yesterday I saw Fixxah's Hornady LnL and I am impressed with that
press (pun intended). You should really check the Hornady out before you purchase. It
seems the main bitch about the press (ejector wire) Hornady has fixed recently.

Back
Top Bottom