• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you wear your sidearm while driving?

Not so sure of that. Need some clarification. My understanding is if you have CC permit, there is no legal requirement to inform.

If that's the case, it seems to be a good reason to maintain that permit.

You are correct. No need to inform IF you have your permit. If you are carrying on Constitutional Carry you must inform for any interactions with any LEO including Wardens. I just renewed my non resident to avoid the BS or a change in the law when Lepage sadly leaves.

They do ask, under certain less extenuating circumstances (don't ask me how I know) and that's when you better damn say what is going to be found.

Just not buying that there really is a speak when not being spoken to requirement when it comes to ordinary stops. They have the floor when those blue lights come on.

Sure I wear my pistol in my car.

If stopped, I always mention it. After doing the usual things (turning on the dome light if it's dark, opening the window, and leaving my hands on the wheel) and my initial greeting, I say "Just to avoid ANY potential misunderstanding, I have a pistol permit and I AM wearing it. What do you me to do." This is what Mas Ayoob's recommends.

Every time I've done this, I've gotten an overwhelmingly positive response, including "No problem, I carry too when I'm off duty" and "You don't plan on shooting me, do you?" And I've yet to get a ticket. :)

i don't inform an officer because I'm concerned about HIS safety. I know I'm not going to hurt him. I inform for MY safety. If I get "Step out of the car" and my roscoe shows, I don't want to have a 9mm problem between my eyes.

Negative Ghost Rider....

Maine is NOT permitless, individuals (resident and non-resident) can still obtain Pistol Permits (or whatever they're called) if they so choose. This allows the holder to carry in some permitless restricted areas and removed the duty to notify (New with the [almost] Constitutional Carry law).

Constitutional Carry allows 21+ to carry without a permit, but requires notification to law enforcement upon ANY contact. Technically, if you say Hi to an officer, you are supposed to tell him you're carrying. Also, state parks and some other stuff is no-carry.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew permits were still available/required for certain areas, but thought CC superseded those permits.

Sure I wear my pistol in my car.

If stopped, I always mention it. After doing the usual things (turning on the dome light if it's dark, opening the window, and leaving my hands on the wheel) and my initial greeting, I say "Just to avoid ANY potential misunderstanding, I have a pistol permit and I AM wearing it. What do you me to do." This is what Mas Ayoob's recommends.

Every time I've done this, I've gotten an overwhelmingly positive response, including "No problem, I carry too when I'm off duty" and "You don't plan on shooting me, do you?" And I've yet to get a ticket. :)

i don't inform an officer because I'm concerned about HIS safety. I know I'm not going to hurt him. I inform for MY safety. If I get "Step out of the car" and my roscoe shows, I don't want to have a 9mm problem between my eyes.

Same here, exactly.

I've only been pulled over once since getting my license and I didn't offer the info and wasn't asked. Anyway, I tend to drive with my wallet in one of the cup holders, just in case it comes up. I would rather be reaching for my wallet where he/she can see my hands clearly.

I try to let the cop know that I have a sidearm, am trained to use it and have complete confidence in his professionalism to keep things smooth. I try to save time by just yelling out, "I have a gun and I know how to use it, and I'm not afraid of dying!"
This made me laugh out loud.

Don't say this:

"I have a fully automatic machine gun in my back pocket. Am I being detained?"

... When I got my first cc license here in NH sometime in the 80s I asked the lady behind the desk, "What do I do if I'm pulled over and am wearing my gun? She said, "if you are pulled over, keep both hands on the steering wheel and when the officer arrives at your window tell him that you are wearing a gun and am a licensed carrier? Okay.....sound good.

A month or so later I'm on my way to the range, 45 holstered on my right hip when a State Trooper picks up on my inspection sticker and pulls me over. I do exactly as the dispatcher told me. When the officer arrived at my window I say, "Sir, I want to inform you that I have a loaded pistol on my right hip and that I'm a Licen....
Back then the state cops carried 357's. I know because right about the time I said Licen...I had one pointed at me.

Hope you left an upper decker for the Lady Behind the Desk.

Some insight from a CWP instructor and former Police Officer...

How to Handle a Traffic Stop with a Concealed Carry Gun
The above link is Good Advice!

"Many states have made it mandatory to provide your CWP permit with your license during a traffic stop."

(According to Varmint) that's in Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas [and Maine, when carrying on the constitution]. The author may think that 10½ out of 57 states is "many", but it seems a tad self-serving to me.

And check out the Readers Comments on that article. For example, the uniformed prison guard who was pulled over by a state trooper for speeding, chirped about the gun in the center console, yet failed to obtain slavish Thin Blue Line consideration for the traffic stop.

On the one hand, the Philando Castile homicide is an evolving paradigm. I've heard everything from licensed to unlicensed; sterling citizen to a rap sheet Harry Mudd would envy.

On the other hand, Massad Ayoob has to be sick to his stomach that the MSM version of events is that Castile was killed for telling a cop he had a gun, in a jurisdiction which doesn't mandate that.

Those who disclose they're packing regardless of circumstances might do well to reappraise that before they get pulled over by some probationary snowflake who's never met a citizen entitled to bear arms.

Good question. I wonder if there's something to back up the claim. I assume cops have to go through some kind of training/practice to "keep current," but perhaps I assume too much.

I think it's more of a area thing...

Most LEO's can go their hole career without even pulling their gun let alone firing it...

When I was a LEO I never had to fire my gun and I only had to draw it a few times...

Depends on where you work, you work in SFld, Holyoke, Boston your likelihood of firing your gun is higher, I was a small town LEO so our exposer was much lower...

- - - Updated - - -

I got pulled over twice while carrying. I didn't say anything the first time and it was a non-event. The second time the cop came up to the passenger side window. Since I was carrying OWB, on the right side, and my wallet was right under my gun, there was a good chance that the cop might have seen the gun when I reached for the wallet. Before reaching for the wallet I informed the cop that I was licensed to carry and that I had a gun on me. He didn't seem to care and all went well...well except for the speeding ticket.

Same here, I'm Leftie so my wallet is below my gun...

Good thing to do is have your wallet out and up on dash, that way you don't need to reach into your pocket right next to your gun...

For those who carry bigger guns like 1911s, Sig 229, Beretta, etc on the waist, do you also keep it in the same place when you drive? Seems like torture.

Yup... It doesn't bother me...

I don't ever carry appendix, with my body I can't carry that way, I would think that's the hardest way to carry in a vehicle...

My gun stays in my holster all the time...

The only time I remove it is if I'm going into a place were I can't carry...

I use two safes, one for my gun, one for my magazines... No real reason for the two except if some JackHole breaks into my vehicle it's going to be harder for him/her to get a gun that will work against me...

Last edited:
Why am I not allowed to step out of car to retrieve my wallet (license) from rear pocket? Reason age and bad back.

Hi,
Carry your gun on you where/when legal. Things can happen so fast. Don't bring up ANYTHING about firearms if you get stopped. They are stopping you for a traffic violation (unless you did just rob that bank on Hanover St). If it's a nighttime stop roll down all your windows (if possible) and turn on your interior light.
You are not obligated to answer questions. Now some states have disclosure laws where you are bound by law to state such. MA/NH are not so don't panic the officer (as you experienced once). If you are ordered out of your car (not asked but ordered - there is a legal difference) I would say pretty much what you got down except shorten it up "I have a license to carry sir and I am/am not carrying" follow directions from there. Odds are if you do not say anything on the stop outside of "good evening sir. here is my license and registration, thank you, etc" Polite, short conversation - you'll be on your way quickly. Additionally keep your registration and license on your visor - no reaching in your pockets, no opening the glove box,etc...it's right there, easy access and no movements that the officer may take the wrong way, escalating the stop. Cops are not the bad guys and I can understand with obama's war on cops why they are on edge.
Watch this video I attached please. You'll get an idea of why traffic stops are always dangerous. -

Stay safe!
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two wallets. I have a regular wallet with my DL and insurance and credit cards and I have a gun wallet with my LTC and gun club key cards and NRA and GOAL cards....

unfortunately I am a lefty and my DL wallet is in my left rear pocket and I carry on my left hip. So I might have to rethink the logistics of my wallets because the gun position is not changing.

I haven't been pulled over in many years so what the cops see on their screens now may be a lot different from the late 90's. Even so, I have never been asked nor have I ever told. But also keep in mind I never had an out of state license until this year so the only carrying of hand guns I ever did was when I competed against Pelham (I think it was Pelham....god I hate my brain) and we just locked our little .22 pistols in the trunk. Still...knock wood....have not been pulled over.

No requirement to disclose in MA. If he doesn't ask I don't tell.
No "requirement" for me to disclose anything anywhere except my "name rank and serial number". Yes, I'm quite sure the "law" says what I "must do" in life but... F*ck them and their small-penis/bullied in school and now neo-Nazi "rules" .
Now if I'm stopped and I'm asked, that's a different story, and a "Yes sir, LTC etc" but I'm not offering unless asked. In the 99.9% of traffic stops I've been involved in, they were "Do you know how fast you were going?" etc, here's my ticket and I'll appeal if I choose.

I'm white, my life matters, and I don't trust cops any more than a black male does... Why?.. Cuz I know many, many MANY cops, and many are good, close, dear friends.. And pretty much all of them are more absolutely f*cked up, more mentally unstable, arrogant, rude, steroid infused, etc etc etc etc etc than anyone else I know... Literally a complete mess.

I once posted "the list" on NES... (I kept all names fictitious, didn't identify any of them, even by "my cousin" or "my brother's friend" etc cuz several people here know me and/or my family, etc) .. It was my own personal list of the ten most completely F*CKED UP people that I've known well in my 50+ years on this planet. And SEVEN of the ten names are current or retired police officers. One of them is a blood relative.

Drug abuse, depression, rage, alcoholism, rage, marital problems, rage, money problems, spouse abuse, rage, child abuse, anger management issues, RAGE, etc etc etc....I've seen and lived through things with these guys (one female officer) that are absolutely effin mind boggling, especially when you realize that these are the "protect and serve" law enforcement employees that keep our society a "civil" one. And yes, the one who's "misplaced" his gun SEVERAL times during "blackouts" and had to have his Captain Wink-Wink (his cousin) reissue another is on that list.

I'm not, not NOT painting cops with one brush, NOT stereotyping, etc. Merely stating fact in my personal life experience.... 70 percent of the most messed up human beings I've ever met wear or wore badges and guns every day of their working life.

And I'm supposed to not carry my gun when I'm driving? And then happen to ("with my luck".. imagine that) take a left turn, then a wrong right and "Oops", run smack dab face to face with a BLM terrorist mini-group intent on lynching me or harming my family riding in the passenger or back seat? Or have some methamphetamine addict who's "hearing voices "kick my window in while I'm at a stop light and try to stab and rob me for his "fix" cuz he's an "unfortunate soul in Massachusetts and we feel bad for him" etc?

Be unarmed or unprepared cuz I'm in fear of cops in traffic stops??.. F*ck that. I carry, always, everywhere, even in places where "The Rules" tell me "not to". And one of the reasons I carry always, everywhere, is cuz today might be the day when officer friendly "goes off" like that cop in CA a few years back and decides that today is the day to execute a few sheep. And if my choice is to either carry my gun everywhere, or not carry cuz it might piss off Officer Whackjob?

Bull effin sh*t. I carry always.

(ps: when I'm driving, which is often, I often ankle carry. It's more comfortable on long trips and actually more easily accessible than inside my seat-belted waistband or on my side, which can be an awkward draw.... G26, Left ankle Galco Ankle-Lite (VERY comfortable).. easy draw, and Officer Percocet doesn't usually notice it through his sweating bulging eyelids as he's screaming at me for not stopping fully and completely at that sign a half block behind me. Etc etc etc.

I'm just more thrilled than ever that I'm not driving while black today....Lotta rage among doze po-leese men.

Last edited:
Why am I not allowed to step out of car to retrieve my wallet (license) from rear pocket? Reason age and bad back.

If you have a bad back you shouldn't be putting your wallet back there anyways. I stopped doing it when I was like 19? maybe because it didn't take me long to figure out that the fuggin thing will pinch your sciatic nerve pretty easy.

-Mike

If you have a bad back you shouldn't be putting your wallet back there anyways. I stopped doing it when I was like 19? maybe because it didn't take me long to figure out that the fuggin thing will pinch your sciatic nerve pretty easy.

Seinfeld, it's always Seinfeld...

rm4h6s.jpg

George's Exploding Wallet

https://youtu.be/yoPf98i8A0g

I never do. At least not since the 80's.
When I got my first cc license here in NH sometime in the 80s I asked the lady behind the desk, "What do I do if I'm pulled over and am wearing my gun? She said, "if you are pulled over, keep both hands on the steering wheel and when the officer arrives at your window tell him that you are wearing a gun and am a licensed carrier? Okay.....sound good.

A month or so later I'm on my way to the range, 45 holstered on my right hip when a State Trooper picks up on my inspection sticker and pulls me over. I do exactly as the dispatcher told me. When the officer arrived at my window I say, "Sir, I want to inform you that I have a loaded pistol on my right hip and that I'm a Licen....
Back then the state cops carried 357's. I know because right about the time I said Licen...I had one pointed at me.

This is a very uncomfortable feeling when you can look out of your left eye and see 6 hollow points looking at you from about 24 inches away.
Although I have to say that the officer, after that point handled everything very professionally.

He had me place both my arms out the window and told me that he was going to open my door and told me to slide out keeping my hands out the window. Once out, he unholstered my 45 and unloaded it and everything was cool after that. He actually became quite friendly...Although he did give me a ticket.

But to make a long story short... I never, since that day wear my sidearm while in my car.
In NH you don't have to tell a police officer if you have a gun on you. But since 1980 something, if one ask me, "Do you have a firearm with you?" My answer is,
"I am a licensed concealed carrier vetted by my chief of police but I do not have a firearm with me at this time....Sir.
If he ask, "Is there a firearm in the vehicle my answer is the same... With a smile of course.
And thats only if one ask...If he/she doesn't ask I dont say shit about it.
What say ye?

To each his own, but really? Wow

I never do. At least not since the 80's.
When I got my first cc license here in NH sometime in the 80s I asked the lady behind the desk, "What do I do if I'm pulled over and am wearing my gun? She said, "if you are pulled over, keep both hands on the steering wheel and when the officer arrives at your window tell him that you are wearing a gun and am a licensed carrier? Okay.....sound good.

This is a very uncomfortable feeling when you can look out of your left eye and see 6 hollow points looking at you from about 24 inches away.
Although I have to say that the officer, after that point handled everything very professionally.

He had me place both my arms out the window and told me that he was going to open my door and told me to slide out keeping my hands out the window. Once out, he unholstered my 45 and unloaded it and everything was cool after that. He actually became quite friendly...Although he did give me a ticket.

But to make a long story short... I never, since that day wear my sidearm while in my car.
In NH you don't have to tell a police officer if you have a gun on you. But since 1980 something, if one ask me, "Do you have a firearm with you?" My answer is,
"I am a licensed concealed carrier vetted by my chief of police but I do not have a firearm with me at this time....Sir.
If he ask, "Is there a firearm in the vehicle my answer is the same... With a smile of course.
And thats only if one ask...If he/she doesn't ask I dont say shit about it.
What say ye?

I do. Why? Because every time you transition from holster to open to whereever you put it while driving invites a brainfart that will bite you in the buttocks.

I found a comfy place to carry, I put on my gun, I go about my business. It takes a split second to really ruin your day and maybe your life.

Back
Top Bottom