Do you still have your first gun?

I still have the first gun I've ever purchased, and it is the one I shoot the least. It is a Ruger 10/22 carbine with a serial number that starts with '357'. It does not really have sentimental value to me and I only keep it because my dad tells me to. I am itching to buy a PC Charger Takedown and do a Mannlicher conversion, like pictured below.

Motorcycles and guns do not have sentimental value to me. What about you?

View attachment 685542
Yes, a S&W 66-2 with original Pachmayr grips that I still take it to the range once in a while. After 30+ years it's still a great weapon and a joy to shoot.

Last edited:
I still have the first gun I've ever purchased, and it is the one I shoot the least. It is a Ruger 10/22 carbine with a serial number that starts with '357'. It does not really have sentimental value to me and I only keep it because my dad tells me to. I am itching to buy a PC Charger Takedown and do a Mannlicher conversion, like pictured below.

View attachment 685542
Your dad bought it for you and it holds no sentimental value or am I missing something?

Still own my Sig 229 and always will.

Yes, my Marlin Glenfield Model 25, .22LR bolt action. Bought it in 1971 when I was 15. I rode my bicycle to the next town where a new gun store had just opened...plunked my $99 of hard earned money down on the counter and Stan the store owner asked if it was ok with my dad. I said it was but he called dad anyway and he assured him I was good to go. Stan gave me a brick of .22LRs gratis and sent me on my way with the rifle strapped to the horizontal bar on my bike and the brick in my rucksack and I rode the 6 miles back home. I can't begin to count how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I've put down that barrel in the intervening years. Still shoots like a laser.

View attachment 685630
My Glenfield 25 is the first gun I was alowed to shoot in 1987 in my back yard. My father bought it new in 1974 from Boscovs (Pa). I did a bit of work to it over the years - trigger work and refinishing the stock with tongue oil. I usually don't mess with refinishing but this one took to it well. Original sling too. It's pretty much a dedicated varmint rifle loaded with cci .22 quiets at this point. My S&W 17-3 K22 is the first handgun I've shot and that lives in a padded box in the safe. I mostly use it for teaching new shooters handgun basics without scaring them into poor habits.20221113_155234.jpg
Added - original Weaver 4x fixed scope still on it as well

My Glenfield 25 is the first gun I was alowed to shoot in 1987 in my back yard. My father bought it new in 1974 from Boscovs (Pa). I did a bit of work to it over the years - trigger work and refinishing the stock with tongue oil. I usually don't mess with refinishing but this one took to it well. Original sling too. It's pretty much a dedicated varmint rifle loaded with cci .22 quiets at this point. My S&W 17-3 K22 is the first handgun I've shot and that lives in a padded box in the safe. I mostly use it for teaching new shooters handgun basics without scaring them into poor habits.View attachment 685927
Added - original Weaver 4x fixed scope still on it as well
Mine didn't come with a sling and not sure if I've ever had one on it (I can't remember). The scope that came on it was a cheapy 4X that I still have somewhere but the optics were so bad on it that I was able to hit more with the iron sights that were on the rifle. I ended up buying a decent mid-priced Nikon scope for it a few years ago when I had to admit that my eyesight was not going to get any better in the next 20 or so years... :cool:

The one firearm I wished I had was my dad's Ruger Single Six revolver (old model) that he used to dispatch pigs. I got to be pretty good shooting that little revolver. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, I'd be first in line to give him the cash for it...Unfortunately, I found out later that he sold it to a gun store (I think the same one I bought my Marlin from), probably for pennies on the dollar because he said, he had 4 sons and he didn't want us fighting over it. :oops: Sometimes, I don't understand my dad's thought processes.

Last edited:
First gun I ever shot? Dad's M42 Mossberg, when I was 3. Yes, I still have it.

First gun I ever claimed as mine? The Winchester Model 62 my grandfather bought new, then I inherited from Dad. Yes, I still have it.

First gun I ever fell in love with? The Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk.1 that Dad's cousin gave him. Yes, I still have that one too.

Oh, and the first pistol I ever shot: Dad's Ruger Standard. Yes, I still have it.

Like several others, a Ruger 10/22 and I still have it. Serial number starts with 113 (1974). I prolly have more rounds thru that gun that all of the other guns I currently have, combined.

I bought a Ruger vaquero when I was 21, that was 31 years ago. I still have it, it’s a beauty, I’ve shot it plenty over the years.

First gun I ever shot, aside from pellet rifles and bb guns was my Dads 3 screw flat top single six .22, which I now own. First gun I ever bought was a Mossberg 500 12ga cruiser with the pistol grip and heatsheild. Why? Cause it was cool lol, I later sold it.

As for selling guns. I used to say "Never" but when your up to 50-60-70 guns you realize there's really nothing that you "need" can only carry so much with you, storage gets to be an issue and some tastes change. Lately I've been selling off pieces that while I liked them, I could never see myself shooting them. I hang on to a lot of firearms simply because my boys like them so much so I'll make sure they get their favorites. I've got a beautiful Inch pattern Commonwealth FNFAL built on an Imbel receiver that one boy loves and the other likes my Garands and M14. Otherwise I'd sell them and get something I'd shoot more.

I recall the day they delivered dirt.
old.gif

Yes, I have my first gun and my first motorcycle. My bike is very sentimental to me, that ride has taken me many places and many, many miles. A 1988 Honda VT800C. Has never left me stranded and still runs perfectly with just routine maintenance after over 30 years. They don't make them like that anymore!

My first gun, not so much.

No. I remember I went to Four Season to buy a used stainless Sig p239. The sales guy convinced me that it want popular and wasn’t a great carry gun and sold me on a Ruger sr9c. While his argument was valid, to me the sr9c was generic and blah. The stainless p239 was a cool gun you don’t see a lot. Still regret not getting it, don’t regret ditching the Ruger. It’s not always about “the perfect” edc

View attachment 685542
Yes “my first” marlin 25 i was 6
My first gun I bought was a sks 1989 kittery trading $79 on dale came with a case of corrosive ammo and you could by a case of non corrosive hunting ammo for $60 IIRC. Then shortly after bought a Chinese AK , still have them.

First firearm shot - unknown 22lr at Boy Scout camp in 1968.

First firearm owned - SIG P239 in 1998. I still own it (it’s posted in WTS).

Numerous shot in between and many more after!

First gun I bought was a Sig 229 LE trade in. It came in 40 S&W and had a 357 Sig barrel with it. I’ve since bought a Barsto drop in 9mm barrel for it. It’s a true 3 caliber handgun and actually my most accurate handgun I own. Never going to sell it.

View attachment 686321
I have a 40 with a 9mm barrel. I should get the 357 Sig barrel. That really gives you a lot of versatility when ammo or components are scarce.
I have always shot the 229 well.

Now, the first gun I ever purchased, no. That was a Ruger P97DC (.45 ACP) that I bought when I was 36.

Great gun that I carried for years, an absolute tank in all ways, but a friend was asking for a .45 about the same time I was looking for something else, so I sold it to him. As far as I know, that's still his motorcycle tank bag gun.

Back
Top Bottom