Do you still have your first gun?

Yes, it's an Ithaca Model 49, single shot .22, that my dad got for me for Xmas around 52 years ago. It's shown here on the bottom, with one of my more recent acquisitions, a Winchester '94, in 38-55:

full

Frank

No, wish I didn't. S&W model 66.
I replaced my long since sold 2.5” 66 with another I got here. So happy I replaced it.

It was my carry gun when I was an armored car guard before I went to an auto

That said. If anyone has a Smith and Wesson 669 I’d be interested.

This was the one I picked up
D3F4D2A2-D88E-4E5C-BDC1-992EB47EBD40.jpeg

Last edited:
I replaced my long since sold 2.5” 66 with another I got here. So happy I replaced it.

It was my carry gun when I was an armored car guard before I went to an auto

That said. If anyone has a Smith and Wesson 669 I’d be interested.

This was the one I picked up
View attachment 685623
Thats nice, brings back memories.

I'm more than capable of getting sentimental about my guns, but it's not automatic. As I think back, I think my first 2 or 3 guns are no longer with me. I believe my longest-owned gun is probably a rattly old Webley .38.

My very first gun now belongs to a friend of mine (I traded him and got the better end of the deal), but by this time he's modded it out of any resemblance to what it was when I bought it. It was an AutoOrd 1911A1 I purchased in 1996, I believe. The gun I traded it for, I still have.

First rifle a Marlin .22 from Service Merchandise in Auburn. First handgun is a Glock 19 Gen 2, now a pre-ban. First shotgun a Parker side by side was given to me by my uncle. It was my grandfather’s whom I never met. Supposedly he paid 55 from a Sears Roebuck catalog. The Damascus muzzles are flared out and I only take it out to clean and oil it. I’ve also Never sold any of them.
98DB16F9-0CB6-491B-BD2E-E2A3BE4D5862.jpeg

My dad started my collection by buying them from people in bars. Sold most of them. Still have my 870 that was just to pretty got what it’s worth. Now it’s my 11 year old sons. My Chipmunk .22 was used by my kids but they’ve outgrown it. May as well keep it for their kids, since it isn’t worth anything.
I’m not sentimental about most things.

Yes, my Marlin Glenfield Model 25, .22LR bolt action. Bought it in 1971 when I was 15. I rode my bicycle to the next town where a new gun store had just opened...plunked my $99 of hard earned money down on the counter and Stan the store owner asked if it was ok with my dad. I said it was but he called dad anyway and he assured him I was good to go. Stan gave me a brick of .22LRs gratis and sent me on my way with the rifle strapped to the horizontal bar on my bike and the brick in my rucksack and I rode the 6 miles back home. I can't begin to count how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I've put down that barrel in the intervening years. Still shoots like a laser.

1668309288013.jpeg

Last edited:
As I said in a few other threads, I bought a Jennings J22 new for $55 from fin and feather in uxbridge long ago. I still have it. Not my proudest purchase lol.

Attachments

• 917A59CD-6875-43D2-9338-C438F7064C60.jpeg
    917A59CD-6875-43D2-9338-C438F7064C60.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 2
I no longer have the first gun I bought, a Ruger 77/22lr, but I have the first gun I ever shot, a Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special. It belonged to my neighbor and I acquired after his passing.

My grandfather gave me his 1954 Belgian made Light Twelve shotgun and a Winchester Automatic .22 that was sold by Sears back in the 60’s and those are the only real heirlooms in my family for the men.

Come to think of it, I’m the only man left and I don’t have kids. Guess I’ll have to try harder to impregnate someone or I’m going to have to sell these eventually 🤣

Another one I’m sentimental about is my K31 Swiss. 1934 with a walnut stock. Bought it for $400 off NES and it came with a brick of ammo, a sling, two of those paper mache charger clips, a Swiss cleaning kit, and a case (I think?) It was my first milsurp and I spot cleaned every crevice on that rifle and made it like new. I still shoot it pretty often (or I did before I moved and stopped shooting for a while).

Everything else is fair game.

No, bought two different pistols at the same time and six months to a year later, sold them. One was an impulse buy and the other I was salesweaseled into buying. I had no clue on what to buy back then, no real guidance, until a few months after I made the purchases. I couldn't pass up the sale prices, rebates, and extra mags! One I made a little money off of, the other I broke even.

I don't have the first one I ever bought, however, I inherited the first one I ever fired when my father died. It was his old service revolver from before the PD switched to semi-autos.

ETA: My first purchase was a bring-back Mauser 30-06. I sold it to a buddy a few years later. No regrets, it had been sporterized so...

Yes. Ruger Mark III 3 22/45. The patience it taught me when attempting reassembly has helped me over the years. That process also helped me string together an impressive flurry of curse words. It's been customized a bit, but it doesn't get a lot of attention these days. Still, don't think I'd ever part with it.

Yeah, Mossberg Plinkster that I was gifted a long time ago. It has some issues with igniting, probably because I was a dumb teenager who dry fired the thing way too much, I should probably look into getting a chamber swage and fixing it as it is a pretty reliable cycler with lots of ammo and accurate too.

I know there's a lot of fanboys with the 10/22, I like my Charger because it is on par in accuracy with a precision rifle, but it's far too finicky with ammo for my taste. The Mossberg, when the chamber wasn't peened, was very reliable with about everything.

The first that was given to me was a Marlin 99c when I was 10. The first I bought when the ltc arrived was a Beretta 92fs. Yes I still have them both and they get shot fairly regularly.

Rem 870LW field special, 20G with a 21" barrel. My dad bought it for me from Lew Hortons in 1985. It has killed so many winged, 4 legged critters and clay targets I cant even count them anymore. I still use the gun ( went out this week ) as an upland bird and rabbet killer, even got a wood duck last year with it. Out for Pheasant wood duck spooked up, steel in the pipe, plug in the tube and blamo, wood duck breast for dinner.
I still hunt with ammo I ( over ) bought in the 80's from the Fair in Worc, lol.

Yes. Boito OU 12GA from K-Mart for $90 in 1981. Cheapest damn POS but I shot a ton of trap with it. Has the distinction of being on the list of the 10 worst shotguns ever made

I also still have my first pistol, Ruger MK II Target purchased in 1985. I still shoot this pistol on a very regular basis. She's a tack driver.

I had some guns before these that I shot a lot but they were my Dad's guns not mine. I still have most of them. I did sell a few of my Dad's gun a long time ago and I regret that.

Back
Top Bottom