• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you still have your first gun?

My first was an M&P 9, the first of 4 M&P's. When I was issued a G17 for a duty gun, I sold all of my M&P's and replaced them with an all Glock stable for commonality with mags/caliber. I plan on keeping all of my current handguns & rifles as they are tools that I use. I have no regrets about selling my first, although if the S&W Metal M&P becomes Mass compliant I'll snag one cause I think it looks cool. Same for the new FN Hi Power, that's a sharp looking pistol with old school cool vibes.

Yes I have my first guns, Ruger 10/22 and Mossberg 500. Got them almost 40 years ago. But I don't have my first handgun, but wish I did, almost 35 years ago I bought a Browning hi-power at MVP sports haha. Unfortunately I had to sell a bunch of stuff many years ago, but did keep the ruger and mossberg as they weren't worth much to sell.

No, it was a Winchester 190 .22 rifle and the wrong tool to learn to shoot with, so I sold it and bought a Mossberg 144LS which I still have.
I still do have my first handgun, it is a High Standard Supermatic Tournament bought in 1976 at Ivanhoe's. It sits as a safe queen, as I no longer shoot bullseye, and I should probably sell it.

Yes - Still Have it Browning Sweet Sixteen A5 back in 1987.....first year they reintroduced the 16 from Japan, from the Gun Room. Probably the only dealer around at the time in my area.
There weren't many I'll tell you that. But the Fair and other places sold firearms, just not stuff like that.

Pistol- No....Ruger P85, traded it away for a Smith 645 which I still have. Bought from the Log Cabin place in Northboro in 1991.

Have all my Dads and Uncles old guns bought in the 60's Will never sell them if I can help it.

Last edited:
My first was a very nice S&W Model 66 4". My second was a very nice S&W Model 60.

Both were traded in to dealers for other guns because 1) I couldn't afford to buy the replacements outright. 2) I didn't know that trading in guns was exactly like trading in a car. 3) NES was over 25 years in the future. :(

I still do have my first handgun, it is a High Standard Supermatic Tournament bought in 1976 at Ivanhoe's. It sits as a safe queen, as I no longer shoot bullseye, and I should probably sell it.
I've bought a Marlin .35rem, Daewoo K2 and a Bushmaster AR from them back when they would retail to civies. Was a nice shop...

miss that Daewoo the most... 🤔

You never forget your first.
Actually, I did.

Started reading this thread and thought it was my Ruger MKII.

That was my first handgun.
Then someone mentioned the Marlin model 60 Glenfield .22 which i remembered was my very first gun.
Dad got it for me at the K-mart in Milford MA about 42 years ago. 🤔

Just curious, but why?
Fair question. I first learned to shoot by shooting bullseye in an indoor 50' range. The Win 190 was a tube-fed semi-auto, not super accurate. The Mossberg 144LS (CMP sells a similar model for bullseye shooting) has disk aperature and is a bolt-action/mag-fed rifle with a fair amount of weight. A poor man's bullseye rifle.

Once I joined the police department, my interests moved from bullseye to self-defense and even the Mossberg is a safe queen. I think that the last time I shot it might have been to take out a woodchuck (with Stingers) probably 30+ years ago.

Nope, long gone. First gun was a stainless Ruger Speed Six with a 2 1/2" barrel that I bought at AAA Police Supply in Dedham in 1979. That thing was so heavy it dragged my pants down. Replaced it with a S&W 37. I could carry that all day and forget it was there.

First 2 I ever bought were about the same time. A Remmington 870 express and a "bubba" Enfield. Both are still in the safe. I use the 870 still for deer and turkeys but the Enfield hasn't seen the light of day outside of the safe in about 10 years now.

Yes, a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge 2 3/4” with 26” modified bead barrel (last year sent to Briley for screw in chokes)

Had it over 40 years now

Back
Top Bottom