• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you still have your first gun?

I still have the first gun I've ever purchased, and it is the one I shoot the least. It is a Ruger 10/22 carbine with a serial number that starts with '357'. It does not really have sentimental value to me and I only keep it because my dad tells me to. I am itching to buy a PC Charger Takedown and do a Mannlicher conversion, like pictured below.

Motorcycles and guns do not have sentimental value to me. What about you?

1668301618176.png

Nope.

Mom bought me a BL-22 when I was a teenager.

A few years later I traded it in (with some cash) for a Remington Model 700 in .30-'06 which I still have.

Always meant to get another BL-22 for nostalgia.

The first gun I remember shooting was my (now deceased) uncle's .22LR revolver.

Next time I see my cousin I'll have to ask him if he has it now.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I dug out my dad's old Winchester .22 pump (1913 vintage), the first gun I ever shot (55 to 60 years ago). I thought about having it completely redone, and then decided to just clean it up, get it functional, and enjoy shooting it.

sized-jpg.227345

As a side note, while having dinner with my uncle/Godfather one night a few years ago, I mentioned it and it turns out that it was originally bought by my uncle when he was staying at a friend's for the summer and working on the South Shore of MA. My dad "liberated" it from him when he got home, as my dad was living on his own by then and he said my grandmother wouldn't let my uncle have it while he was still living at her house. I'm still keeping it, but in light of that, I've told my family it will go to my uncle's kids / grandkids when it's time to pass it down.

I also still have every gun I ever purchased for myself. Shoot all of them except for the 1980s vintage 870.

A few years ago, I dug out my dad's old Winchester .22 pump (1913 vintage), the first gun I ever shot (55 to 60 years ago). I thought about having it completely redone, and then decided to just clean it up, get it functional, and enjoy shooting it.

sized-jpg.227345

As a side note, while having dinner with my uncle/Godfather one night a few years ago, I mentioned it and it turns out that it was originally bought by my uncle when he was staying at a friend's for the summer and working on the South Shore of MA. My dad "liberated" it from him when he got home, as my dad was living on his own by then and he said my grandmother wouldn't let my uncle have it while he was still living at her house. I'm still keeping it, but in light of that, I've told my family it will go to my uncle's kids / grandkids when it's time to pass it down.

I also still have every gun I ever purchased for myself. Shoot all of them except for the 1980s vintage 870.
A pump .22?? Now that is COOL! :cool:

A kid will be stoked to learn on that gun one day.

Reminds me of when I would learn on my dad's Marlin .22 levergun.

First gun I purchased was a Glock 30 which I still have and shoot it regularly.

First gun I ever shot was my Dads Rossi .22lr gallery gun.. I shoot it but actually need to get it serviced as it won’t cycle properly, not sure if it’s the tube mag spring binding or what but won’t chamber a round, if I remove the plunger and let gravity feed (tip the rifle up and rack the slide) it will feed so I’m thinking it’s binding somehow.

Guns have sentimental value to me. So do flashlights, knives, and a whole host of other things. I have the first bb gun, the first rifle, pistol, revolver, etc..Not because each was the first of that type of gun. They all just ended up having some sentimental value in other ways.

The first rifle I ever shot was the first rifle my dad ever shot too. He was 8. So, that does mean something to me. And its not ever going to be for sale.

sized-jpg.227345

Mine is the Rossi rip off of yours..

Attachments

• EE002CBE-8A04-4159-8226-29F63C683585.jpeg
    EE002CBE-8A04-4159-8226-29F63C683585.jpeg
    836.9 KB · Views: 15
Nah. Started with a Sig P250 DAO specifically to learn trigger control. Kept it for a few years then sold it. Still recommend it for beginners.

Bought a mosin for 40 bucks at a stinky big E show.
Was a stupid kid and sanded the stock and stained it with a light color to resemble the kar98 blonde stock I couldn't afford.
Put a thousand rounds of wolf and garbage surplus ammo thru it and now it sits above my workbench as an ugly reminder to just leave the damn gun alone. Nyet! Rifle is fine!

Bought a mosin for 40 bucks at a stinky big E show.
Was a stupid kid and sanded the stock and stained it with a light color to resemble the kar98 blonde stock I couldn't afford.
Put a thousand rounds of wolf and garbage surplus ammo thru it and now it sits above my workbench as an ugly reminder to just leave the damn gun alone. Nyet! Rifle is fine!
I bet you didn't even get the jerky that time

I bet you didn't even get the jerky that time
I got alot of jerky that time. More jerky than rifle in dollar amounts. Some dumb guy from New york asked the old man from maine "is black strap jerky from a black bear?" The old yankee slinging jerky just stared into the distance with cloudy eyes, closest thing I've seen to the 1000 yard stare

Winchester 9422 Magnum. My dad bought it for me on my 11th birthday. Still remember every detail. That one will never leave.

Nope. First and last rifle I sold.

It was a Remington 700.

The 700 is a major piece of sh*t. 🔥

Yes, the action is good, specially if you pay 3X the cost to have someone work on it. The rest of the rifle is pure Remington trash.

First and last Remington.

Nope. First and last rifle I sold.

It was a Remington 700.

The 700 is a major piece of sh*t. 🔥

Yes, the action is good, specially if you pay 3X the cost to have someone work on it. The rest of the rifle is pure Remington trash.

First and last Remington.
Did you use jb weld on the bolt handle by chance?

I still have all the guns i've bought except one.....a beat up mossy 500 that I sold to my brother when he wanted to start hunting and I wish I still had it......used it for hunting with my son for many years till I got around to buying "better" shotguns. I have 30 plus guns in my collection and I actually shoot them all at least a couple times a year and what I consider my "core" collection of 3 guns I shoot those 2 to 3 times per week. The hunting guns I use the hell out of every year.

No. Why would I do that?

I feel like I am missing a joke.

Damn, I missed that one.

Back
Top Bottom