• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do You Stake Your Castle Nut?

Do you stake your castle nut?

• Yes

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • It depends

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters

jimy

NES Member
I’m replacing my buffer tube and all that entails. Do you stake your castle nut? Why or why not?

Absolutely. I’ve had them come loose several times. If the buffer tube is loose, the buffer retaining pin comes out, bolt seizes, you’re out of the fight.

Replacement castle nuts are cheap. What would be the reason for not staking? Laziness?

That nut is supposed to be torqued and staked. It is specified. This shouldn't even be a poll question. If you need to ask this you are thinking of your rifle as a toy and not as a tool.
It’s not really about whether I “need to ask this.” You may be surprised that a majority of people who have responded to the poll so far don’t stake their castle nuts. I’m curious to hear what people do or don’t do and why.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same same. I change lower configurations.
On multiple rifles/ pistols and nothing is etched in stone yet. Torque it and forger it for now. When permanent then sure.
Out of what fight? If I might ask.

I've had a bunch of unstaked home builds come in loose (actually, most). If I have to work on a rifle with thread locker, I'll charge double. Nuts and spacers are cheap.

Staking doesn't make it permanent, it just makes it more reliable.

Also, I like to tinker with my rifles too, but how often do you swap buffer tubes? Do you go from carbine to rifle to pistol and back again?

I bet you non-stakers swap in red ones.

Last edited:
If it is a milspec castle nut, it is designed to be staked as it has staking notches. There are some nuts that have a set screw and some Gucci nuts that don't have any notches to stake towards.

When it transitions from range toy to tool, it definitely gets staked. I have one older lower that has actually been in all 3 configurations. Currently sits in rifle configuration. I might have even used loc-tite on the buttplate screw, but darned if I can remember...

Absolutely. I’ve had them come loose several times. If the buffer tube is loose, the buffer retaining pin comes out, bolt seizes, you’re out of the fight.

Replacement castle nuts are cheap. What would be the reason for not staking? Laziness?
i use Loctite there and they never get loose, but, staking them would also be a smart thing to do. either way.
it is rather obvious that having no loctite and no staking there is a rather not smart thing to do.

I've had a bunch of unstaked home builds come in loose (actually, most). If I have to work on a rifle with thread locker, I'll charge double. Nuts and spacers are cheap.

Staking doesn't make it permanent, it just makes it more reliable.

Also, I like to tinker with my rifles too, but how often do you swap buffer tubes? Do you go from carbine to rifle to pistol and back again?

I bet you non-stakers swap in red ones.
from carbine to rifle - possible, depending upon the stock version you would want to run, especially if it is a pre-ban $$$ lower.

I don't get why you wouldn't stake it. A stake is easier to disassemble than one with thread locker, and just as secure. A stake doesn't make it permanent. If you swap and want it to look nice, spend about $12 in parts and you're good. If you don't care how it looks, reuse the old spacer and nut and stake it again.

I've used loctite with good success so far but I don't run ARs very hard. Probably should just stake them since it's so easy.

Staking is the right way.

That’s what I’m trying to ascertain. I know people who don’t. I’m of the same mindset to stake it. Trying to learn from other opinions.
The people who dont cant leave their rifles alone and are constantly tearing them down or reconfigure them.
Do the “need” to be staked?
Well I think if they are actually torqued to spec they “should” not come loose.
If you dont want to mar up your shit loctite puple or blue should do.

Alternatively, you can buy the type of buffer tube that has a notch in the end of it where the buffer retaining pin fits. So the tube cannot rotate once it is screwed all of the way into the receiver. Then if you want to swap parts, just depress the pin and unscrew the tube. I think its pretty handy and I like it better than staking or loading it up with loctite. Especially if you use a quality titanium pin that is less likely to break than some of the cheap retainer pins found in crappy lower parts kits. Not that this pin breaks often, but its happened to people. And thats not something you want floating around in your receiver. Especially if you are using the aforementioned buffer tube that relies on that pin to hold it in place.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same same. I change lower configurations.
On multiple rifles/ pistols and nothing is etched in stone yet. Torque it and forger it for now. When permanent then sure.
Out of what fight? If I might ask.
The fight for the soul of a country my friend😂😂👍🏻🇺🇸

Stake all mine. A few min with an auto center punch. And YES I had to undo one before. Was a non issue and re staked.

I don't get why you wouldn't stake it.
i personally hate hammering at threaded connectors. you stake nothing on your race car yet it is not falling apart, one just got to know how to torque and how to maintain.

I didn't take mine but I use a rifle length buffer and stock. So my stock goes into the notch in the back of receiver. Wouldn't that stop the whole thing from rotating?

I didn't take mine but I use a rifle length buffer and stock. So my stock goes into the notch in the back of receiver. Wouldn't that stop the whole thing from rotating?
no, it is nut that turns - potentially - on the tube. just look at it again, it is self evident. you got to have something done to make sure it will remain seated in that thread.
apparently, the mystery of a loctite use is a damn witchcraft for most here, but, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom