• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you readily let others know of your gun hobby?

I was in the local pizza shop tonight and forgot I had a Four Season Firearm Tshirt on.. it's in very large print. I'm sure many in my town aren't pro gun and it got me thinking... I'm certainly not ashamed of my hobby by any means.. however I'm not so sure I want everyone or anyone knowing about it. On one hand I want to talk to friends and others and let them know what a great sport/hobby it is. But I don't know if certain people will start riduculous rumors- which wouldn't really bother me except I have kids. What are your thoughts on this?

Why should you be ashamed of yourself? I am proud to be a gun owner and a member of the NRA and I don't hide that. It's a good opportunity to try to educate people.

Why should you be ashamed of yourself? I am proud to be a gun owner and a member of the NRA and I don't hide that. It's a good opportunity to try to educate people.

I not a shame thing at all- I said this. It' mostly a privacy issue.

The privacy vs the promotion thing is the dilema.

Derek- great point. I give that a lot of thought as well. I do have some friends and ther kids getting more active already. [wink]

Well what are you worried about? That they might break in and steal your guns? Or that they'll think you are a nut? Let's get to the heart of this.

I guess you'll have to call me a rank coward

but, in my job if I disclosed my hobby, what's left of my career would be at an end.

At my age I just can't afford that...I hate being extorted like that, but it's just way it is.

Outside of those people, I don't mind advertising it

How so? What line of work would do that to you? Don't be too specific, I'm just wondering generally.

but, in my job if I disclosed my hobby, what's left of my career would be at an end.

At my age I just can't afford that...I hate being extorted like that, but it's just way it is.

Outside of those people, I don't mind advertising it

Well what are you worried about? That they might break in and steal your guns? Or that they'll think you are a nut? Let's get to the heart of this.

JellyFish- I wouldn't say it's a "worry" thing. It's mostly a privacy thing. I don't really care so much if people know I'm into guns. One thing that I guess does concern me is my kids- I KNOW some parents don't want their kids near guns... even toy guns- I don't want my hobby to have a potential impact on them... that is one train of thought. I guess I'm not too worried about anyone knowing I have guns so they can steal them. Like I said I was simply in the pizza shop and it got me thinking. I don't wear IDPA, NRA and other gun related clothing.. more so as a privacy issue... plus I like to have the element of complete surprise when I CCW. [wink]

I totally understand the surprise thing, for sure that's a good advantage to have.

As far as the kid thing goes, I guess I can understand that too. Though I also suspect you can educate the parents if they ask about how you safely store your firearms so kids can't get them. Hiding it might come back and bite you in the ass later though if they find out anyway so maybe honesty is even better?

JellyFish- I wouldn't say it's a "worry" thing. It's mostly a privacy thing. I don't really care so much if people know I'm into guns. One thing that I guess does concern me is my kids- I KNOW some parents don't want their kids near guns... even toy guns- I don't want my hobby to have a potential impact on them... that is one train of thought. I guess I'm not too worried about anyone knowing I have guns so they can steal them. Like I said I was simply in the pizza shop and it got me thinking. I don't wear IDPA, NRA and other gun related clothing.. more so as a privacy issue... plus I like to have the element of complete surprise when I CCW. [wink]

I tell everyone hoping someone will point me in the direction of some old woman they know who still has her late husband's war guns.[smile] Better they go to me where they'll be loved, cared for, and collected rather than the buyback program. [laugh]
As far as my job... I'm one of the 4 people there that carry. We're the best armed mechanic/body shop in the city. [wink]

I readily tell people, if it comes up. I don't walk around with a sandwich board, but I'm not about it either. I work in uber-liberal land too.

I tell everyone hoping someone will point me in the direction of some old woman they know who still has her late husband's war guns.[smile] Better they go to me where they'll be loved, cared for, and collected rather than the buyback program. [laugh]
As far as my job... I'm one of the 4 people there that carry. We're the best armed mechanic/body shop in the city. [wink]

Sounds like my company. Nice to have backup at work. [wink]

Everyone at my job knows because I told them I needed the 2nd Saturday of every month off to teach at the MRA. They're cool with it and often joke around asking me how many Glocks I have (because for some reason "Glock" is the only gun to have if you don't know anything about guns [laugh] ).

I typically only wear gun clothes when I'm going to or coming from the range, but if I'm feeling kinda grubby I'll throw on a gun t-shirt.

I don't care if people know that I shoot because I have no fear of defending myself against their accusations. Though I find most people are just curious and are really quite enthusiastic once you explain a few things to them.

Right on sister!!! Be loud and proud!!!! [smile]

Everyone at my job knows because I told them I needed the 2nd Saturday of every month off to teach at the MRA. They're cool with it and often joke around asking me how many Glocks I have (because for some reason "Glock" is the only gun to have if you don't know anything about guns [laugh] ).

I typically only wear gun clothes when I'm going to or coming from the range, but if I'm feeling kinda grubby I'll throw on a gun t-shirt.

I don't care if people know that I shoot because I have no fear of defending myself against their accusations. Though I find most people are just curious and are really quite enthusiastic once you explain a few things to them.

If you keep your activities too far under tha radar, you can miss out on some new friends. One person at work spotted me carving an IPSC target in a styrofoam lunch tray as he walked by, and is now an avid compeitor (and worked the entire AWARE match for each of the past several years). Another former co-worker (if it's fair to call your boss cubed a co-worker) got into the game, and remains in contact with the local IPSC people even though he has since retired. A third co-worker was instrumental in my scheme to bring PDA based scoring to the Area 7 USPSA/IPSC championship, and is also someone who can always be counted on to design work, and build stages. All are great friends I would not have if I had remained silent.

In my case "it depends"!

Most town folks that are active in town gov't know that I was a PT PO and a gun owner . . . but I still wouldn't want it published in the newspapers.

When I worked for the late DEC, I was one of the founding members of the DEC Firearms Notesfile (a precursor of what we have here today at NES, but internal to the 140K employees worldwide). Talked of guns some at work, but not much. After I was laid off (and before everyone else was), I'd drop by and have lunch with the group when I was in the Marlboro area. Only then did I learn that damn near everyone in the group owned guns and many were hunters/plinkers. Some never talked about it until the 1998 law created a buzz.

If I'm around non-gunnie friends, I will often mention it . . . since most are libtards, I do it to some to just get under their skin [devil]. If I'm around strangers, I'll only mention it if the subject seems appropriate to whatever is being discussed or going on or if I'm talking about some scheduled event that's on my calendar.

I do not wear gun clothes except to/from the clubs, or gun shows.

I do believe in the "element of surprise". [wink]

Everyone I work with knows I love my guns. If I have plans to go to the range right after, I'll sometime put my locked guns in my office. I wear my NES sweat shirt in the cooler months and I have had many comments about it. I don't hide it, I just go about my business like it's no big deal (which to me it isn't).

Screw that! I don't care what ANYONE thinks. I work for an international company that is based in Commiefornia. I wear my FS T-shirt to work, and I even show my boss pictures of the new guns I buy. He isn't into guns, but doesn't care one bit!

And if someone says something about it, the can kiss my white ASS!

People who know me know I have firearms. Everyone I work with knows. I don't wear clothes that advertise that I may have firearms. I don't care if my kid's friend's parents know. If they don't want their kids in my house it's much more quiet there for me. All the better. I do have a fear of being the target of someone potentially breaking in to try and steal them but I have taken significant extra precautions againts that so I worry a little less. It's mostly because I fear of unintentionally putting my children in harms way by posessing something thugs might want to try and get. But I am still cautous of the any potential attempt and that is why I do not advertise that I own and carry and posess firearms. The less poeple know the better. I agree about promoting shooting sports and I've made my decision as to what my priority is as far as owning firearms and my privacy in that regard. As was said in many other threads....if someone wants something bad enough....they'll get it. I'm just going to do what I can to make sure they don't get mine. I'm not worried about the people I know that know I have guns...it's the people I don't know that makes me think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm self- employed for the last 20 years, so I do not care about what people may think. My customers may have an idea about my interests and I openly discuss that with them. I did have an electrician working for me on several projects and when I started talking about firearms he spouted that guns cause wars and other nonsense. He really annoyed me, so now I have to find another electrical contractor in my area who is not a hoplophobe. My plumber has his LTC and hunts, so I can get along with him.

I try not to advertise that I'm a gun owner. I spend enough time out of the house to keep me very aware of how quickly guns can be stolen. I will, however, promote guns and shooting when there isn't an obvious tie-back to my ownership.

I'm self- employed for the last 20 years, so I do not care about what people may think. My customers may have an idea about my interests and I openly discuss that with them. I did have an electrician working for me on several projects and when I started talking about firearms he spouted that guns cause wars and other nonsense. He really annoyed me, so now I have to find another electrical contractor in my area who is not a hoplophobe. My plumber has his LTC and hunts, so I can get along with him.

Your electrician must be a major history buff(oon). I'm not but I vaguely remember some ancient history and I'm pretty sure there were a few wars prior to the invention of firearms.

I work in "higher" education. Everybody, and I mean everybody around me are marxists and they are mean to boot.

Whatever you do, don't let your children go to college

I use to work in Higher Ed. and although I didn’t advertise, I did have many co workers that knew that I was into shooting. Even had a good conversation about self defense with a coworker after he was involved in a home invasion. He was lucky that he had a .357 that night and his wife really came around after that incident. I think he really appreciated the Mas. Ayoob book I gave him.

I only had one real problem with a faculty member at a picnic. Despite the fact that I had taken one of her classes, she saw that I was wearing a Camp Perry shirt, and rudely and very loudly asked a rhetorical question if I had guns in my car, and then proceeded to blather on and tell people that they shouldn’t get me angry; because I might shoot someone. I ignored her because I had to work with her, but I should have made a “hate speech” complaint to University EO person. [rofl]

I don’t agree with not letting you kids get involved in higher education. Most people are involved in higher ed. for the wrong reasons anyway.

B

Readily, no not to just anyone on the street. Most people who know me know I have some guns, they just don't know how many.

I had to tell my room mate a couple of time to keep his mouth shut about what I have only because I know the types of places he goes.

When I worked in an office, I used to hang the club's training schedule on the outside of my door under my name plate. From time to time I'd also hang medals or post results of matches I attended.

At one time I had a female supervisor. Although she was promoted over me, I had far more years and far more intimate knowledge of our products so our relationship was generally one of "whatever you think is best Chris". On one of her trips to my office the subject came up and she asked if I carried a gun. I replied by asking if she douched. Got the reaction I was hoping for. Then went on to explain that I considered the question highly inappropriate and personal and that the only time she would ever know the answer is if something were to occur - and then I don't think the issue would be all that much of a concern. She dropped the subject and never brought it up again.

Last time an employer asked was when that company was bought by Auto-by-Tel and some VP of something (we called him Prince Humperdink) asked about the schedule outside my office. I managed to answer his question by inviting him to take the class the following weekend and what kind of things he'd get to learn. I don't think Humperdink could get out of my sight fast enough.

I was laid off 3 weeks later in the first round of "Expense Synergies" that were never supposed to occur and had secured new employment with our main competitor within about 8 hours. My current boss knows all about my activities as he once worked for a previous company of mine.

Several co-workers have been 'dragged' to the range for "Engineering BLOW OFF days". Then we had to 'drag' them away from the guns when the ammo ran out.

My resume has had the following tag line at the bottom for about 20 years:

Other: Certified Sailing Instructor, Wilderness First Responder, Firearm Instructor and Coach, Bicycle and Automotive Mechanic.

Not one person on any interview has ever said a word. Then again, if it had been an issue, I probably never got an interview. Probably just as well.

rudely and very loudly asked a rhetorical question if I had guns in my car

Possible responses:
  1. I don't make it a habit of discussing my security procedures.
  2. Details of my security procedures are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know
  3. Looks like someone here has a problem with diversity.

Back
Top Bottom