• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you prefer well-used guns?

I had a good-sized chunk of my collection at the range yesterday, and as some friends were asking me about my collection, I came to realize that all of my favorite guns are of the well-used variety.

My first gun was an early Smith & Wesson 686, and it's seen plenty of use. My favorite pistol to shoot is a Ruger Mark II - I can't even imagine how many rounds it's had down the pipe. Even my AR-15 is well over 15 years old.

Each firearm probably has tens of thousands of rounds through it, and while they're not beat up or damanged, if you look for it you can see the signs of use.

Yet of all my guns, all those bought new or near-new, those three shoot the best. Of the thousands of rounds I've put through each of them, I've only had one malfunction once among the three of them (due entirely to bad ammo in the AR). Each functions smoothly, flawlessly, doesn't require a lot of maintenance, is far more accurate than I am and each is truely a joy to shoot.

I can't help but wonder if firearms are like a fine wine - do they really get better with age? Beyond just "breaking a gun in," does a firearm become smoother and more reliable as the round count increases? And would you rather have a used firearm or a new one?

Each firearm probably has tens of thousands of rounds through it, and while they're not beat up or damanged, if you look for it you can see the signs of use.
I don't mind the signs of honest wear - it's gouges and damage that bother me.

But... if you think your AR has not degraded in accuracy after tens of thousands of rounds of use, you either (a) don't have very high standards, (b) can't tell the difference even though it is there, (c) miscounted the rounds, (d) have a gun which never had more than "utility grade" accuracy or (e) have replaced the barrel. Rifle barrels have a finite life and, although .223 barrels are not the worst offender, tend to lose accuracy once they have thousands of rounds through them.

I always try to buy used first, if nothing else, to save a little bit of cash. Some guns do "wear in" pretty well. For example, whoever owned my Sig P228 before me did a fine job of breaking in the trigger on that thing...... [grin]

I don't mind a bit of even holster wear.

I won't buy used ARs though, unless they are factory matching parts, or appear to be. There is way too much mixmaster tier-2/tier-3 garbage floating around out there. Someone could be unloading a headache rifle on a consignment rack, especially if it's a mixmaster.

-Mike

Last edited:
I don't have much experience, but my husband's browning hi-power is about 17 years old, and my favorite to shoot..

all of mine are old and very used, most were my grandfathers, and my fathers. They are in great shape other than holster wear and have fired thousands of rounds. I have had no issues with any of them since I took ownership.

My Colt 1911 is 91 years old. I've done a lot of work on it and wouldn't swap it for a new one. My Colt Woodsman is 56 years old and will one day belong to my grandson, little Jack. He is 4 and still training on .22 rifles. Jack.

New gun smell is not something I long for.

I always shop for used guns first. I like to let someone else take the retail sticker shock...and break in the gun for me.

A gun is a machine. Machine parts wear over time and things like a frame and a slide will lap themselves to each other making it oh so smooth. Same goes for a hammer and sear. Some of my favorite and best shooting guns are the ones with thousands of rounds down the pipe.

Major flaws, dings, DEEP scratches in the metal are an instant turn off and usually a deal breaker when buying.

I don't purposely try to abuse my guns, but if there is something cosmetically wrong, I don't panic. For me, finish wear here or there is just fine. It can always be redone.

I can't help but wonder if firearms are like a fine wine - do they really get better with age? Beyond just "breaking a gun in," does a firearm become smoother and more reliable as the round count increases? And would you rather have a used firearm or a new one?

They do... most of my guns are used. The worst gun I ever had I bought new - an AMT Hardballer. OTOH, I've got a couple of Model 19s that I bought new - they're great shooters.

Nothing wrong with a well-used gun; just so long as it's not abused.

At the Raymond NES shoot the newest original rifle I used was a 2009, oldest was 1906. Oldest ammo at that shoot was 1949, newest was 2008. I love my classics. I need to put more ammo down the tube of the CZ527 .223 Varminter to settle her down. About 250 rounds through her so far. My 1906 CG M96 is as smooth as glass and a natural shooter. My handguns are are old. My newest is a 1981 Sig P6.

Used vs New

If it's in good condition - I'll take a used firearm over a new one any day. Save some dough and likely (from my experience) they aren't "over used" or abused.

Plus sometimes you can get "extra's" if you get a good deal! :)

I like older, used guns, as long as they haven't been abused. Guns sometimes have a 'history' that speaks to the user.

The 1914 P08 Luger that my Dad brought back after WWII, the Model 29 S&W that was my brothers before he passed away, the first gun I ever bought...I may not fire those as much as some of my newer guns, but they all function fine despite their age. I will never sell them, nor will any government take them from me.

When I handle or shoot them I'm connected with people and places that were important to me. Someday they will be owned by our children.

I look at new guns like a new wife...sometimes they work out right away, other times they need to be 'broken in,' and sometimes they're not worth the expense! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom