• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you need F.I.D or LTC

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
A friend has a black powder rifle that was given to him through his family.
He asked me if needs fid or ltc to buy powder and slugs in MA.
Does he?
I don't know the answer.

FID should be good enough. Can't buy powder without LTC or FID. Not sure about slugs. I always thought people melted down wheel weights.
Depends on the type of muzzle loader. Modern ones use sabots. Traditional ones use round ball and some people mold their own.

To possess powder (Black, or Black Powder Substitute), cap (NOT a 209 primer for an inline, modern muzzle-loader), and ball (the "slug" referred to above; does not have to be spherical) in Mass. for a primitive firearm, you do NOT need a license. You do need it to purchase.

Or, you go to NH or Maine, where it's not an issue, and you bring it back.

To possess powder (Black, or Black Powder Substitute), cap (NOT a 209 primer for an inline, modern muzzle-loader), and ball (the "slug" referred to above; does not have to be spherical) in Mass. for a primitive firearm, you do NOT need a license. You do need it to purchase.

Or, you go to NH or Maine, where it's not an issue, and you bring it back.
I don't recommend taking that risk.

MGL Chapter 269, Section 10(h) "Whoever owns, possesses or transfers a firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition without complying with the provisions of section 129C of chapter 140 shall be punished..."

MGL Chapter 140, Section 121: ''Ammunition'', cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term ''ammunition'' shall also mean tear gas cartridges.

So some cop charges you with a violation of 10(h), and you get to pay me a shit-ton of money to explain to a judge that it doesn't apply to black powder. Said judge may not agree with me. "cuz guns"

Swatgig: I read you.

This is the relevant statute, and the exception.

General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 129C

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside

That said, yes, a JBT can jack one up, possibly.

Back
Top Bottom