• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you HAVE to allow an armed IRS agent in your house?

Question to piggy back off this one: If you just flat out asked any federal agent "Do I have to let you in", are they obligated to answer truthfully?
No, they can lie to you. Don't ask questions. Just say "I don't consent to a search and I don't consent for you to enter my home/business. I won't answer questions without my attorney. Leave me your business card and i will have my attorney contact you." They will respond with a different question or statement. Don't answer their question, just repeat the above.

But it isn't going to happen this way. Audits don't start with an auditor showing up at your door. Audits start with a letter.

I’m sure we’ve all heard by now about how many new irs agents there are, and that they’re now armed. As a small business owner, I feel it’s inevitable that I’ll get audited sooner or later, and was curious if I have any rights to refuse an armed agent entry to my home without a warrant.
I’m not asking how to refuse an auditor into my home, just to tell them they’re not allowed to have a brandished weapon on them while they’re in my home.

I’ve asked some friends who aren’t very pro gun and they responded with “cops are armed, if you call 911 they will be coming into your house armed.” But my response to that is that I called them for help and thereby invited them to my home. A tax auditor is not a welcomed guest, they tell us we HAVE to be audited. I don’t call them and ask them to come audit me.

Do I have a legal right to deny entry into my home and if they refuse to disarm themselves, do I have the right to request my audit take place in a public location outside of my home? I’m not anti-2A in any way.. have a nice collection myself like most of you. I just don’t feel like playing this game with them and plan on taking it to them with whatever legal action I can if that day comes.
I'm also a business owner and have been audited multiple times (random audit, IRS underestimated by ability to make poor investments, bad tax prep by a 3rd party).

You get a letter in the mail with instructions on how to respond. If they are not satisfied by remote correspondence and you do not agree to their judgment, you schedule an appointment. Really your accountant and lawyer are the ones that should be handling this.

I have a friend that works for the IRS, he’s the guy that would show up if you don’t answer their letters/calls (same guy who takes your shit) if you default on them.

He ain’t packing heat and he’s not looking for a fight (he would loose every single one).
A cousin's wife was like that. She was an IRS field agent and was the person they would send if they could not contact the subject or they ignored requests. I'm pretty sure she's retired now.

A cousin's wife was like that. She was an IRS field agent and was the person they would send if they could not contact the subject or they ignored requests. I'm pretty sure she's retired now.
Yeah the guy I know is probably 400LBS he ain’t gettin up your stairs 😂

First, a holstered weapon isn't brandished. Second, no law enforcement officer is going to agree to disarm themselves. Third, if they don't have a warrant, you can generally refuse entry -- there are exceptions to that, but I don't see how an IRS auditor can argue exigent circumstances. Fourth, you can unbunch your panties. It is highly unlikely that the IRS will send an armed agent to your business for an audit. It is far more likely that you'll simply get a letter that you are being audited. You are really worrying about nothing.
You are correct unless you are a threat to the swamp or an Allie of Trump. This is obviously political for some reason, I don't know the connection but don't believe for a second that it's about a delinquent tax bill. If you owed them money and kept ignoring their letters, they would just but a lien on your assets until you complied or if not they would seize your assets to cover your bill.

Back
Top Bottom