Do you have a secret compartment in your car?

I have a metal pistol safe in my trunk that is chained to the frame
I figure it might at least slow somebody down

Ill. secret compartment law struck down

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., Sept. 27 (UPI) -- The Appellate Court of Illinois has declared unconstitutional a law that made operating a vehicle with a secret compartment a felony.

The court made the ruling Tuesday in favor of repeat felon Derrick Carpenter who was convicted in 2004 after police found a BB gun in the airbag compartment of the van he was operating, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Wednesday.

There is no law against carrying a BB gun but Carpenter was charged under the state's secret compartment statue and sentenced to two years imprisonment.

Justice Warren Wolfson wrote in the 3-0 court ruling that the law was intended to deter smuggling of illegal drugs and weapons, but "it goes far beyond criminal purpose" and violates the idea that "whether the item is cash, jewelry, a risqué magazine, a confidential file or a BB gun, the owner or driver has the right to keep it from prying eyes," the Sun-Times said

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, a proponent and sponsor of the law, told the newspaper the measure is "an important law for fighting drug crimes and protecting the lives of police officers." She said she plans to discuss the matter with prosecutors.

the airbag compartment is about as secret as the trunk. Where did that come from?

Its called hiding in plain sight. Not too many people would think about looking in an airbag compartment......people are afraid of them.

Being in the auto business you see some strange things. Removable air flow vents, phony airbags, etc. Strangest one I ever heard about came from a story my Father told me. He was at the shop one weekend day catching up on some paperwork when a guy walked in and said the police told him his car had been towed to our shop and was inside for storage. He asked if he could just get something out of it and leave the car. My Father said ok and showed the guy where the car was. He says the guy popped the hood, went into the engine compartment, took the air cleaner cover off, reached in and pulled out a huge roll of money in large bills, said thank you and left the car there.

OH NO...

I was just listening to a car commercial today on the radio. And one of the "features" of the car was that it, "Had tons of secret compartments."

Guess that car isn't allowed to be sold in Illinois.

I don't remember what the car was though.

Do you have a secret compartment in your car?

Yep, it's between the ejector seats and the radar:

aston_05.jpg

If they identified the location(s) of secret compartments in the owners' manual, then they wouldn't be secret any more, would they?

Ken

He says the guy popped the hood, went into the engine compartment, took the air cleaner cover off, reached in and pulled out a huge roll of money in large bills, said thank you and left the car there.
I remember watch Canadian customs opening the air filter of a beater car parked next to mine at "secondary inspection." I don't know what was up with that crew, however, they gave me a rather strange look when customs handed my 45 back to me and told me to enjoy my visit to Canada while their inspection, which started before my arrival, continued. I had the paperwork for it, but the sent me to secondary inspection to take a look at the gun - probably to make sure I had a locking device installed and that it was unloaded.

Back
Top Bottom