• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Do you have a gun?"

When my regular Dr. left I was passed off to another Dr. at the clinic I go to. He was a young whippersnapper and while he was reviewing my medical history, he asked me if I had any firearms at my house. I looked at him and said "Do you have any female lingerie in your size at your house?". Conversation ended abruptly and I asked for a new Doc. Never saw him again

I don't even know how I would respond to that..I am lost as to what owning a gun has to do with medical history...
Provided it was lawfully obtained, it actual does wonders for your actuarial health and wealth... [laugh]

In MA, not only does it do that, but it statistically rules out out of any meaningful probability of committing a crime, violent or otherwise. Which makes it doubly strange that we have an AG, Governor and CHSB spending so much time looking into our behavior.

not really, there are a lot of sheep out there carrying guns, some even post on this very forum that would NEVER use them if the need arised. how about rich crack heads? or just people that know they are sheep? IMO, it is MORE responsible to leave it at home vs. carrying w/o one in the pipe or being honest with oneself about using it.

i.e. Buddhists? conscientious objectors? ect

it's an individual choice, not a blanket obligation.

Minor quibble:

You said conscientious objector. There is no such thing. That's a quasi-legal term to describe people who won't serve in a COMBAT POSITION in the military.

I think maybe you're referring to pacifists. As far as I'm concerned, I want all of them to own a gun for about as long as it takes to put a bullet in their own heads. They are menaces to a free society. The fewer the better.

I was at my daughters first appointment with her new Pedi, and she asked this....and I replied "No"... but unfortunately at the same time my wife replied "yes" .... made for an awkward silence and a dirty look from me. I then said "I keep it at a locker in the gun club now" just so I'm not the "Suspicious gun guy"... My wife got a good talking to on the drive home.

I lucked out, my doctor likes guns. He was making small talk during one of my appointments and asked if I had any plans to take advantage of the nice weather we were supposed to have that weekend, and I told him that I was going shooting. He the proceeded to talk about how he is also a gun enthusiast. I like my doctor.

Same here. Back when I first had my blood lead level tested (good thing, too - it was elevated due to too much time in indoor ranges, I took some common sense precautions, and now it's back to normal) my doc asked why I wanted it tested, so I told him. Come to find out, he's a gun owner as well and we ended up shooting the shit about guns for 5 minutes or so (which, if you know doctors is like anyone else spending an hour). Before that, I brought up the subject with my eye doctor because I wanted a prescription that would let me focus well on the front sight, and it turned out that he's a former Bullseye shooter who did some eye doctoring for the US Olympic shooting team back in the day. Good guys, both of them.

I've never encountered this, but it comes up often enough that there has to be some organized effort behind asking.

I would think that maybe the question comes up in cases of elevated lead levels in audlts or their kids, but otherwise, I see zero reason for a doctor even being curious.

Never had this issue. Doctors are just people with an MD, some will have agenda some won't. Honestly, if he or she is a good doctor, it would take much more than a difference of opinion to get me to go somewhere else.

Mike

I have never been asked at the doctors office, but recently I had to do a psych evaluation for a job. There where two gun related questions: 1. do you think everyone should have a hand gun? - Yes 2. are you fascinated by assault weapons? Yes The other questions had to do with paranoia and anti-social behavior/ thoughts. Filling in the circles was BS. They should have left me some space to write my manifesto if they really wanted to get inside my head[smile]

HOW THE FREAK ELSE am I going to terminate my circumstance?, when it gets intolerable.......0BAMACARE? Damn Drs write down everything and their speculation in your """file""". F'em, All I want is world peace. Remember a handgun only gets you to your rifle!

I asked the nurse one time after taking my weight to right it down as 10 Lb's or so lighter, she asked me why and I just said that if I had to take everything off my belt that I would be 10 Lb's lighter, she didn't go any futher and just said OH OK the Doctor will be in soon [smile] [smile] [smile] .

it's an individual choice, not a blanket obligation.

+1

Agree that a lot of people who carry (or at least talk about carrying) would prove absolutely worthless if the need actually arose.

http://www.denverpost.com/outdoors/ci_7683781

Near an entryway in the church, Bourbonnais came upon the gunman and an armed male church security guard who was there with his gun drawn but not firing, he said.

Bourbonnais said he pleaded with the armed guard to give him his weapon.

"Give me your handgun. I've been in combat, and I'm going to take this guy out," Bourbonnais recalled telling the guard. "He kept yelling, 'Get behind me! Get behind me!' He wouldn't hand me his weapon, but he wouldn't do anything."

There was an additional armed security guard there, another man, who also didn't fire, Bourbonnais said.

Like that?

I have never been asked at the doctors office, but recently I had to do a psych evaluation for a job. There where two gun related questions: 1. do you think everyone should have a hand gun? - Yes 2. are you fascinated by assault weapons? Yes The other questions had to do with paranoia and anti-social behavior/ thoughts. Filling in the circles was BS. They should have left me some space to write my manifesto if they really wanted to get inside my head[smile]

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom