Do you have 16" and standing room? You can reload. Lets see your small reloading set ups.

mac1911

NES Member
image.jpgMy "normal" shit show of a reloading bench is only 30"wide with enough shelves under side to hold some stuff. I built it out of scrap plywood and recovered wood from construction sights.
There are plenty of plans for "reloading benches" like everyone has a 15' of wall space to put a bench. So lets see what others are doing for small area reloading set ups.

here is my small space "bench" which can go anywhere you have studs at 16" on center or anything to screw/bolt it to.

I will add my other "reloading" set ups and pictures as the weeks go on.

This video was made with a Gen1 Cannon Power Shot so the quality sucks.

The screws are mention are not maze but GRK-

I used 3" deck screws for the "bench"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xVEi3K7hE

Last edited:
Dont have any video but Im in the space formerly occupied by the oil tank in my basement. My bench is a 27" sink base cabinet with a maybe 4' length of countertop on top. Quite a bit of real estate compared to some. The Lee bench plate helps to gain some open space when Im not using the single stage.

I have a couple of Lee plastic powder drops dedicated to plinking loads in a couple of calibers. I have them screwed to each end of a scrap of 2x4 and when in use, the 2x4 is clamped in a bench vise. When Im done, its unclamped and put away. Also have a Hornady powder drop mounted on a bracket thats screwed to a piece of 5/4 PT which is clamped to the bench when in use and put aside when its not. My Tri-Way trimmers get mounted on an old blower motor which again gets clamped down when being used and otherwise is up on a shelf. Casting equipment is stored in a storage tub and set up on a fold up workmate bench when in use.

Nothing mind-blowing here, but the basic premise is everything is mounted on something that allows me to secure it in place when in use and store it out of the way when Im done using it, rather than it permanently taking up valuable space.

Dont have any video but Im in the space formerly occupied by the oil tank in my basement. My bench is a 27" sink base cabinet with a maybe 4' length of countertop on top. Quite a bit of real estate compared to some. The Lee bench plate helps to gain some open space when Im not using the single stage.

I have a couple of Lee plastic powder drops dedicated to plinking loads in a couple of calibers. I have them screwed to each end of a scrap of 2x4 and when in use, the 2x4 is clamped in a bench vise. When Im done, its unclamped and put away. Also have a Hornady powder drop mounted on a bracket thats screwed to a piece of 5/4 PT which is clamped to the bench when in use and put aside when its not. My Tri-Way trimmers get mounted on an old blower motor which again gets clamped down when being used and otherwise is up on a shelf. Casting equipment is stored in a storage tub and set up on a fold up workmate bench when in use.

Nothing mind-blowing here, but the basic premise is everything is mounted on something that allows me to secure it in place when in use and store it out of the way when Im done using it, rather than it permanently taking up valuable space.

[pics]

I built this little guy for a write-up a number of years ago from scraps including broken kitchen items and legos for small space users and those with limited funds. It's got storage, an internal funnel system for tumbling, extensions for reloading and cleaning, an outrigger if you really need to apply pressure, a trough system that you can modify however you want. Here's the write up if interested: Mini bench

Opening w meas.JPG

I built this little guy for a write-up a number of years ago from scraps including broken kitchen items and legos for small space users and those with limited funds. It's got storage, an internal funnel system for tumbling, extensions for reloading and cleaning, an outrigger if you really need to apply pressure, a trough system that you can modify however you want. Here's the write up if interested: Mini bench

View attachment 344969
Pretty slick, and looks good also. Im very utilitarian in wood working skills. Slowly gettinv better.
My mini bench posted here was just a quick idea for those who "dont have the space" As with any project for me it takes longer to get out tools than to do the project.

I need to get everything out of the room so I can finish it and build a bench - not happening anytime soon since I discovered the boiler has a leak last night [crying]
IMG_20200408_182414878.jpg
Loadmaster, Lee APP, RCBS Jr, Lyman 45 and a Lyman 55 mounted on a HF tool stand

Sorry ahead of time for the minor thread hijack. Just curious has to how people store your reloads. Just in ammo cans? I'm starting to think about reloading myself, but want to get a bit more info on how it works/best practices. Was it foolish of me to hold on to about 2,000 rounds worth of 9mm commercial packaging? I figured I might reload and put them back into packages (trays/card board).

Sorry ahead of time for the minor thread hijack. Just curious has to how people store your reloads. Just in ammo cans? I'm starting to think about reloading myself, but want to get a bit more info on how it works/best practices. Was it foolish of me to hold on to about 2,000 rounds worth of 9mm commercial packaging? I figured I might reload and put them back into packages (trays/card board).
I do both. Cans and trays/boxes. Also save the boxes that the bullets come in and use those too. The trays are easiest to throw in the range bag. Cans are good for storing in bulk but its kind of a pain to lug a full can to the range and back.

I need to get everything out of the room so I can finish it and build a bench - not happening anytime soon since I discovered the boiler has a leak last night [crying]
View attachment 346154
Loadmaster, Lee APP, RCBS Jr, Lyman 45 and a Lyman 55 mounted on a HF tool stand
THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! NICE
Hows that Lee APP working out? Seemd like a compact nifty piece. Was looking at all the new lee stuff while looking for parts for the leepro projects.

eh, I just toss everything in boxes on the floor,
I like ammo cans for bulk plinking ammo and those green plastic ATM cases for the better rounds. I have acquired many free over the years.

I just use coffee cans (plastic). Mostly Folgers of varying sizes. For my use, they work really well and the labels just pop off of which I apply my own with a blast of spray glue. I have the file for the labels (and all my other firearm stuff) built on my computer so I just hit a few keys and their done. As their all the same color, it doesn't look like a rummage sale of varying containers and jars if eye appeal matters.

Here's one opened that I had kicking around the basement. I prepped the shells to reload but didn't get around to them for over 5 years. That's without any moisture absorbent material.

Inside coffee can.JPG

Here's the label. A little worse for wear hanging out and being battered about for 5.

Coffee can lable.JPG

THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! NICE
Hows that Lee APP working out? Seemd like a compact nifty piece. Was looking at all the new lee stuff while looking for parts for the leepro projects.
Sizing bullets - A++
Decapping rimless pistol - A
Rimmed cases (38/357) - C- so far

It is super fast but I've had some issues with getting 38/357 cases to feed properly. Haven't put a lot of effort into it so I'll probably figure out how to get it to work when it really gets me mad.

Definitely worth the $100 if only to size bullets. Putting a bullet collator on it is a near term goal.

Sizing bullets - A++
Decapping rimless pistol - A
Rimmed cases (38/357) - C- so far

It is super fast but I've had some issues with getting 38/357 cases to feed properly. Haven't put a lot of effort into it so I'll probably figure out how to get it to work when it really gets me mad.

Definitely worth the $100 if only to size bullets. Putting a bullet collator on it is a near term goal.
Was looking at it and I was about to find a cheap c press and mount it up side down.

View: https://youtu.be/IGLKRvaVBdo

Built from free wood by a friend of mine. Loosely based on a NRMA plan
I was going to have him do a 1/4 version of it but decided just keep it simple

Someday I would like to build a shelf insert that holds all my dies so I dont have to unstack to get to lower ones.

I can at least now use the sided of my bench to hold my akro bins
Just need to find either some DIN rail locally or break down and buy the $40 akro rail
image.jpg

Last edited:
Was looking at it and I was about to find a cheap c press and mount it up side down.
Not even close to the utility - I was dropping bullets into the tube adapter by hand and sizing at rate at least twice as fast as using my Lyman 45 as a push through.
But a C-press in hand is infinitely more useful than a new press you can't afford (this no work shit sucks*)

* I am working from home so I'm not directly effected but have friends/family that is sucking it hard with this one.

When this virus situation clears up, I want to do a meet&greet casting/BS session here in Taunton. Would be a good opportunity to try out the APP

@Billbo606 I bought a lee classic turret 4 hole,

found a grinder bench from harbor freight,
bought a cobalt drill bit 5/16th, screwed it down.

i have some extra holes that were originally i will one day turn into a brass and bullet holder via inline fabrication.
1586466507085.png

underneath i tucked a tumbler underneath Amazon product ASIN B07DMFL38SView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMFL38S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1586466735007.png

Not even close to the utility - I was dropping bullets into the tube adapter by hand and sizing at rate at least twice as fast as using my Lyman 45 as a push through.
But a C-press in hand is infinitely more useful than a new press you can't afford (this no work shit sucks*)

* I am working from home so I'm not directly effected but have friends/family that is sucking it hard with this one.

When this virus situation clears up, I want to do a meet&greet casting/BS session here in Taunton. Would be a good opportunity to try out the APP

Taunton is close enough that i could possibly make that happen.

20200410_193800.jpg20200410_193811.jpg

The shelving was leftover from a project at the house. Counter top was scrap from work. Base cabinet was from work also. Company delivered the wrong size and told us to keep it. After a couple of years of tripping over it, I asked my supervisor if I could take it and he said yes please, lol. File cabs were all given away to me. That stool was given to me.

Think the only thing I paid for was the pegboard, the luaun backer for the shelves and the plastic shelving unit in the back left which was slightly damaged and sold to me for half off. Even that cup full of toothbrushes were free. I've gotten them all from vacant apartments. People always leave them for some reason. (Toothbrushes, brooms and dishwashing liquid. I havent bought dishwashing liquid in years lol)

Last edited:
I don't have a photo unfortunately. But I started reloading when I was in college, in my New Haven apartment. I'm 50 now, so it was a while ago. I used a black and decker workmate and a Lymann press screwed to a board. I would clamp the press to the workmate. When I was done, I'd put it back in my bedroom closet.

Its interesting, a box of 9mm cost more back then than less expensive stuff does now. I found some old boxes when I moved to MA a few years ago that were from the 80s with $12 price tags on them. So for a college student with a $1500/month income and lots of time, It was perfect.

Sometimes I'd flip the legs in on the workmate, which lowered it enough so I could load while sitting in my living room on the couch hanging with my roommate. Ha.
I could also deprime and prime cases while watching TV.

For the first several years, I didn't have a tumbler. I would put cases in a big pot of hot water along with some vinegar (or later on citric acid) and stir it until it boiled. Then dump out. Then the cases went on a cookie sheet into a 200 deg oven to dry.

Wow. I really have it easy now.

View attachment 346929View attachment 346930

The shelving was leftover from a project at the house. Counter top was scrap from work. Base cabinet was from work also. Company delivered the wrong size and told us to keep it. After a couple of years of tripping over it, I asked my supervisor if I could take it and he said yes please, lol. File cabs were all given away to me. That stool was given to me.

Think the only thing I paid for was the pegboard, the luaun backer for the shelves and the plastic shelving unit in the back left which was slightly damaged and sold to me for half off. Even that cup full of toothbrushes were free. I've gotten them all from vacant apartments. People always leave them for some reason. (Toothbrushes, brooms and dishwashing liquid. I havent bought dishwashing liquid in years lol)
Just noticed your 45 acp load. I'm using 5.3 of Unique on 230gr plated bullets. 5.5gr is starting to push it but doable.

@Billbo606 I bought a lee classic turret 4 hole,

found a grinder bench from harbor freight,
bought a cobalt drill bit 5/16th, screwed it down.

i have some extra holes that were originally i will one day turn into a brass and bullet holder via inline fabrication.
View attachment 346477

underneath i tucked a tumbler underneath Amazon product ASIN B07DMFL38SView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMFL38S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 346478
Do you have trouble with the stand moving, for example when you are resizing a case and have to pull or push harder on the handle?

Asking because I just ordered a 750, and might want to put it in a small stand like that, rather than on the reloading bench.

Do you have trouble with the stand moving, for example when you are resizing a case and have to pull or push harder on the handle?

Asking because I just ordered a 750, and might want to put it in a small stand like that, rather than on the reloading bench.

Umm i don't think that 750 would be a good idea for this bench grinder. That is a tad bit larger than my lee. Maybe if you really weigh the thing down. Try it out. It is only 30 bucks.

So far when i use this press i don't really worry about it tipping over because i have my left hand on the side of the press and i operate the press arm with my right. I prime with my press and kinda just do a push pull motion with my arm slightly. I do not have a cinderblock keeping it down.

There is no issue resizing at all and don't have to force or push any harder than normal. Basically just stiff arm the top of the press and it operates smoothly. Sure if i had it bolted down i could just use one hand but for now. This will work for my small ass apartment.

You will love the space savings of this bench though.

One tip that I was given when I first got my 650 was to set it up on a bench that had a lower shelf. Then put all my bullets, brass, and ammo in that lower shelf. The weight stabilizes the table. That has always worked for me. Especially since I usually have 10,000+ bullets on hand at any given time.

Back
Top Bottom