• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you guys buy pre-ban ar-15 mags?

Is this for real?
Because I was always wondering how a cop would go about knowing if your mag is preban or not. Unless its stamped "LE only" they won't know.
And firstly, they shouldn't even be seeing your mags to begin with.

My point is that they don't know what they're looking at. IE >10Rnds is illegal. I can pull some articles if you like. I should clarify that the charges are in lieu of other charges.

I'll be honest, I'd rather pay more and get those beat up 30 round pre-ban GI mags than get caught with a postban pmag. As much as I absolutely LOVE the pmags (even the 10 rounders) I bought some pre-ban 30 round mags (3 to be exact).

I like having a couple of pre-ban "high" cap mags for each gun I buy. When I move from the people's republic back to America, I can still use them at the range without getting the "the hell are you doing with that?" looks.

.....I'll tell you what - I would gladly see them become worthless if that day would ever come. Best hope is the Supreme Court strikes down a magazine ban. In which case I'll promptly order 30 p-mags, box up my prebans and ship them off to Deval as a farewell present.

Just 30? I'm going to buy a pallet of them and make freedom angels... and then send a .gif of that to all the antis.

Just 30? I'm going to buy a pallet of them and make freedom angels... and then send a .gif of that to all the antis.
icIdWzz.jpg

Is this for real?
Because I was always wondering how a cop would go about knowing if your mag is preban or not. Unless its stamped "LE only" they won't know.
And firstly, they shouldn't even be seeing your mags to begin with.

It is for real. Mags were sitting in the open on my passenger seat as I had just picked up a package of them I had bought from another member here.

There is a SPAM sticker on my truck though and I am not sure how much of a role that played in my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

30 round pre bans are great to own. You should own a one because every AR needs atleast one. Also, your AR looks way cooler with them. I'm sure preppers have other reasons but for now we will stick with the cool factor. You don't have to load 30 rounds in one just because it holds them. 20 rounds are awesome because you can actually shoot from a bench rest without the mag messing up your hold / site. 10 rounds are ok. They come with the gun in MA. Now you have the trifecta. 10, 20, 30!

Preban mags don't seem to depreciate. Buy em, use em, sell em when you move out of state and recoup your money. In the off chance that the AWB gets lifted and we're allowed to have new standard cap mags, I'll happily lose my "investment".

That being said, at 2-3x the price of pmags I can't stack them very deep.

If you're looking for more than shooting off a bench, handling of short mags doesn't exactly translate to full size mags. After dropping a mag or two I found I have some bad habits I need to unlearn.

I have 3 MA-neutered AR's here.

I bought 10 30 round pre-bans. Paid more than I would have liked to, but they came in a freaking bag with the date on them. I left one in the dated bag, sealed it in a foodsaver bag with the date visible, and keep it in my range bag. If I am 'asked by the man', I have relative proof that the mags are pre-ban. Would it stand up in court? I don't know, the courts suck. At least it is something that would stand up to relative scrutiny from LE as having made an effort to both stay within the bounds of the law and to be able to 'prove' that an effort was made to stay within the bounds of the law. My hope is that a 'reasonable' LEO would let them pass.

While shooting on our land or at my club has ever asked about them. They're usually too entertained by watching my kids shoot them.

In NH, I have as many PMAGs as I would carry in 30 & 40 round sizes for each AR I have.

If you want Pre-bans cheaper than around here, look in Classifieds outside of the Northeast.
About 1 1/2yr ago I found a guy in Arkansas that had 16 - 20 round prebans for $8.00each, shipped. Needless to say I bought them all. I tested about half of them, all functioned fine.
Deals are out there, just gotta keep looking.

If you want Pre-bans cheaper than around here, look in Classifieds outside of the Northeast.
About 1 1/2yr ago I found a guy in Arkansas that had 16 - 20 round prebans for $8.00each, shipped. Needless to say I bought them all. I tested about half of them, all functioned fine.

I've scored a fair number of them on a 'popular internet auction site' over the past year for ~$10 each. Of course, every now and then a post-ban might slip through, which I immediately run and toss over the NH border. A lot of them are sold as 'rebuild kits' (wink wink), and all of them are listed as 10 rounds.

It is for real. Mags were sitting in the open on my passenger seat as I had just picked up a package of them I had bought from another member here.

And? How could this mean anything at all? What became of the issue?

...There is a SPAM sticker on my truck though and I am not sure how much of a role that played in my experience.

I am not sure what a "SPAM sticker" is, and how it would affect anything. Is this the canned meat, or the junk email?

I have 3 MA-neutered AR's here.

I bought 10 30 round pre-bans. Paid more than I would have liked to, but they came in a freaking bag with the date on them. I left one in the dated bag, sealed it in a foodsaver bag with the date visible, and keep it in my range bag. If I am 'asked by the man', I have relative proof that the mags are pre-ban. Would it stand up in court? I don't know, the courts suck. At least it is something that would stand up to relative scrutiny from LE as having made an effort to both stay within the bounds of the law and to be able to 'prove' that an effort was made to stay within the bounds of the law. My hope is that a 'reasonable' LEO would let them pass.

While shooting on our land or at my club has ever asked about them. They're usually too entertained by watching my kids shoot them.

In NH, I have as many PMAGs as I would carry in 30 & 40 round sizes for each AR I have.

Wait, someone actually bought EXTRA magazines, keeps them in a bag within a bag, with sticky labels, and uses THAT as "proof" they are "OK in MA"?

No kidding! People can get BRAND NEW Magpul magazines for around $10, and unload their old metal ones for around the same price. Win-Win!

And? How could this mean anything at all? What became of the issue?

Nothing. That was my point. The trooper didn't really care.

I am not sure what a "SPAM sticker" is, and how it would affect anything. Is this the canned meat, or the junk email?

State Police Association of Massachusetts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Regardless of what a few nay-sayers might say, I will buy good quality low-cost 10-rounders when I can and use them for my range and practice sessions. I will save any pre-bans I might come across for occasional function testing and other uses.

YMMV.

I would not pay a premium for prebans given that Linsky & gang have specifically earmarked parts of upcoming legislation to reverse their grandfathering.

Wish I had hi-cap clips for my Garands...

Back
Top Bottom