• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you engage an active shooter?

In a way, We as a Nation, and as a People deserve these events and their repercussions because We have stopped looking out for others who need protecting.
The weak, the young, the elderly, the handicapped are left to fend for themselves? Not in My World...

I am not looking to get into a gun fight, unless there is a gun pointing at my family or myself, i would do everything I could to get others out to safety

Always. In fact I was in Times Square on Tuesday and ended up chasing this guy for 6 blocks before I realized it was just his motorcycle backfiring.

You are not responsible for my family.

You shoot and hit a bystander, get smeared as a vigilante by the media, the local DA with a 2A bugup questions your shoot/no shoot decision, grand jury indicts you and the DA's ham sandwich. You lose your job, house, retirement, and Antifa doxxes and harasses you for the next 18 months. When/if you are finally found not guilty the bystanders family then sues you and garnishes every cent you make from now until you die....hope you like the taste of cat food [angry]

It sucks but the people in this state think its a crime for you to defend yourself.

I'd lose my job, home, retirement and reputation to save Your family if within my power to do it and would not expect a thing from you. And then walk away in silence.
I guess I'm just built different...

the-code-of-chivalry.jpg

Last edited:
The government has stopped us from looking out for those who need protection. They tell us that the police will protect us and made it illegal to fight back. Well not quite yet...look to the UK and that's where we are headed IMO.

In all but the sunniest day scenario, this ends badly for the "good guys" in MA. If you have a clean shot, don't hit anyone else, witnesses on the scene give accurate statements, captured on video, legal firearm, then I'd guess you are ok.

I'm sure the scenes of these mass shootings are a fog of confusion and can't imagine a sunny day scenario unfolding.

In a way, We as a Nation, and as a People deserve these events and their repercussions because We have stopped looking out for others who need protecting.
The weak, the young, the elderly, the handicapped are left to fend for themselves? Not in My World...

you could make up what if scenarios all day, still doesn't change the fact that no one knows until they're dropped into the situation for real.

This is true, but part of preparation is to work through scenarios, to learn and train from them...

There are a lot of reasons to hate me, but don't make "Giving a shit, and willing to help" be one of them...

No idea, and for several reasons.

If I happened to be in a situation involving an active shooter, it’s impossible to know what that situation would be. Am I more likely to succeed fighting or fleeing? If both present an equally (positive) likelihood of success, what’s at stake if I fight? Am I going to be saving lives? Am I going to be endangering lives? Am I going to be causing more confusion? Are there other people with the capability to engage the shooter already present? And multitudes of other factors that would impact that decision. If I can effectively engage the shooter, and not doing so would likely lead to more people being killed, I’m not sure how I’d feel if I did nothing. Probably like a coward.

If I have an equally unlikely chance of success fighting or fleeing, I sure hope I’d fight. No point in dying laying down.

The other factor is just that, the fight or flight instinct. I’ve not been in a similar situation to know how I’d in fact respond. So while this is an interesting and even important mental exercise, it ultimately might not mean anything if my instinct leads me in another direction.

So I just don’t know.

I’d like to think that if I have the means to help, I would.

But I just don’t know.

Another huge factor I didn’t mention is that it’s very unlikely you would even really know exactly what’s going on. This alone can be a good reason to not engage an active shooter unless absolutely necessary. I’m always reminded of this incident and it’s terrible outcome.

here's a woman friends plan if she's in a mass shooter situation. a $1.29 rubber doorstop she got at lowes. she carries it in her purse. her plan is to herd herself and others into the restroom. public restroom doors open in...so she plans to shut the door and drop the doorstop down and kick it in tight so any nut can't push the door in and hopes it holds until help arrives. does it work? i was with her at the mall when we tested it. she went into an empty restroom, dropped it down and jammed it tight. me, i'm on the other side and at 280 lbs, ramming the door, i couldn't get it open. i guess it may be false security but who knows until she needs to use it...god forbid. if it did work i suppose she'll sleep at night.

here's a woman friends plan if she's in a mass shooter situation. a $1.29 rubber doorstop she got at lowes. she carries it in her purse. her plan is to herd herself and others into the restroom. public restroom doors open in...so she plans to shut the door and drop the doorstop down and kick it in tight so any nut can't push the door in and hopes it holds until help arrives. does it work? i was with her at the mall when we tested it. she went into an empty restroom, dropped it down and jammed it tight. me, i'm on the other side and at 280 lbs, ramming the door, i couldn't get it open. i guess it may be false security but who knows until she needs to use it...god forbid. if it did work i suppose she'll sleep at night.
That’s not a bad idea, but what if the shooter starts shooting threw the door ?

here's a woman friends plan if she's in a mass shooter situation. a $1.29 rubber doorstop she got at lowes.

Beats wearing a lampshade and hiding out in Home Goods...

iu

Last edited:
Short answer for me: Yes.

I can't run around making the argument that a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun, without planning on some level to approach it just like that if something bad happened. On or off duty. I can make up 100 scenarios where I probably wouldn't do anything because of how the incident was unfolding, but my default answer is 'try to stop the killing'. Then after that, try to stop the dying.

My first thought was " Nah.. Imma grab the biggest wide screen in da sto. Use dat chit for cover and git my white trash ass outta there"

Then I thought, no, I have that Roland kids cell number.. I am gonna call his ass. " Hey Clover kid... it's fencer.. I am at the Walmart and some dude with a mini gun is tearing the place up! Come quick! No, I am not at the ammo case... I am at the plus sized lingerie..don't judge me. It's purely a comfort thing"
And then Stu comes tactical rolling into view.. and pew pew. Double taps the angry shooter in the forehead.

Truth is, I really would have a hard time watching innocent people get shot. And although I tell myself I wouldn't, have posted that I wouldn't and you shouldn't, I just would hate looking at myself in the mirror everyday if had to live with knowing I could have prevented a death.
As Dr. Grant says, it all depends on the circumstances.
There is a huge difference between running towards the sound of gunfire, and watching people getting shot right in front of you. And admittedly, I am sure all of us have some split second ranking system they would apply. Mother with three kids? Engage. Fat kid with a man bun and a Bernie Tshirt? [thinking]

I think that all of us are smart enough to know we probably shouldn't, but even those that have posted " Nope, no way. Ain't happening", would have a hard time watching the local high school girls softball team be killed.
Let's hope none of us ever finds out what we would do.

it is probably a discussion that needs to be had, what with leftist loons promising to take conservatives out with violence.

One thing to help you decide...have you ever had a tactical handgun course? This is not going to be your average day at the gun range....these a**h***s will be shooting back.

Nope, breaking contact and getting me and my family the hell out of there, lol!!! Now, I will do everything to help and get as many to safety as possible and if I’m in the direct line of sight to the shooter then yes, I will engage. Situational awareness will dictate everything though. Great topic to discuss!

Just to stir the pot...
Burning building,child hanging out of window,what do you do?
Young woman caught in an apparent riptide,what do you do?
Elderly man being mauled by a large dog,what do you do?

Back
Top Bottom