• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you donate blood?

I would personally Like to thank everyone here who has donated blood. As many of you know I am a leukemia and bone marrow transplant survivor! Over the course of my treatment I must have had 25 blood transfusions and 50 platelet transfusions.... I am absolutely alive today for generosity of folks who donate there blood! Please if you are able donate!

I''m O+ (the universal donor) so I've been donating blood on a regular basis. For a while I was a donor to the f*ckers at the Red Cross, but then I learned that the Red Cross charges about $400 per pint to my local hospital whenever my local hospital runs out of blood.

So I decided to screw the Red Cross and boycott those greedy pigs (go to Guidestar.org to see what the top execs make . . . it'll make you hemorrhage and need a blood transfusion) and for the rest of my life I will donate ONLY to my local hospital.

Donating blood is a very necessary thing, but even more critical is the need for us to donate PLATELETS. I donate my platelets every two weeks, regardless of what my work schedule is like. Fortunately I'm high enough in the chain of command that I can take time off whenever I want, and I'm accountable only to my conscience. So every two weeks, like clockwork, I take a couple of hours of personal time (and I record the deduction) and I run to my local hospital to donate platelets.

The neat thing about donating platelets is that the depletion triggers your body to produce more. My hospital now pulls a triple dose out of me each time I go there, because my body's constantly in "Platelet Replenishment" mode. Platelets are critical for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy and others who've undergone surgery, and not many people donate them.

So there ya go. Somewhere in Massachusetts there are all kinds of people running around with my platelets in them. They're easy to spot because they are hard-working, honest, fair, they don't take bullshit from anyone.

+1 to you.

A+ also. Donated many gallons since I got talked into it in college. Be a sport, give a quart!

Wow, I think this is the most feel-good thread I've ever seen here at NES, and I am overwhelmed to see how many people are able to give blood. To those who do, THANK YOU. To those who can't, I'm sorry. To those who don't, that's okay, too. It's not for everyone.

Me? I do it because I have lost a number of friends and family to horrible illnesses, and they all utilized the services of their hospitals' blood banks. I stay very healthy so I'm more than capable of doing it. Also, I notice that since I became a semi-weekly donor, I go out of my way to take care of my own health now, and that'll pay off for me in the end.

But the number one reason I do it? To remind myself that I'm not a TOTAL *SSHOLE. I only play one here at NES, from time to time.

I can understand people frustrated that Red Cross sells it to hospitals, but like some have suggested give directly to the hospital. I do "Pints for Half Pints" when I can which is the program for Boston Childrens Hospital.

I used to donate regularly but I haven't in a while. I was usually busy working and all the donation places were closed when I had time off. Then when I started donating again the nurses always seemed to have a hard time finding a vein close to the surface so I ended up looking like a pin cushion after getting stuck a couple of times in each arm. I also used to be a really quick draw on blood but lately it seems to take forever to fill a bag of whole blood. Last time the line clotted off and I had a huge bruise on the inside of my elbow, not sure if it was from a clot or from the nurses constantly moving that needle around. Maybe I'll have to look up Mercy Hospital's drives instead of the Red Cross.

Hard time hitting the vein and slow blood flow probably means you were dehydrated. Drink a lot of water several hours before you give blood and it should be much easier. Also make sure to eat (do not skip breakfast!).

I donate often when they come to my college. Always a need for AB+ The beauty of my blood type is my body will accept any blood type out there :)

Reading into this, **** the red cross. I'm trucking my ass up to Boston Children's Hospital and giving to them I'm gonna go plasma and platelet happy this year. I don't want my blood sold. I'd much rather help save a child's life in need of transfusions. Had an aunt that used to work as a nurse there in their cancer ward and got to meet some of the patients and hand out small gifts when I was young. Its heartbreaking to find out that the kid you saw last week is now dead. Now that I think of it, I had a pretty traumatic childhood from stuff like that. [sad] Now you've got me rambling again. DAMN YOU ADHD! hahaha

I used to donate blood as often as possible and got into donating platelets but was somewhat disillusioned. They call and leave messages practically begging for my platelets, so I'd call for an appointment and they were 3-4 weeks out and in the middle of a workday. Really? If you needed my fluids and semi-solids this bad and you can't provide a convenient appointment, you're doing alright without me.

Proud to say I donate blood regularly. The Red Cross, whatever its faults, is the most efficient organization available for getting blood from the source (i.e. healthy people) to the need (trauma victims and people who need transfusions). If you can't stand needles, fine, but refusing on ethical grounds is craziness.

ETA: They do call me all the gd time, though. I know their number on sight and just don't answer.

Reading into this, **** the red cross. I'm trucking my ass up to Boston Children's Hospital and giving to them I'm gonna go plasma and platelet happy this year. I don't want my blood sold. I'd much rather help save a child's life in need of transfusions. Had an aunt that used to work as a nurse there in their cancer ward and got to meet some of the patients and hand out small gifts when I was young. Its heartbreaking to find out that the kid you saw last week is now dead. Now that I think of it, I had a pretty traumatic childhood from stuff like that. [sad] Now you've got me rambling again. DAMN YOU ADHD! hahaha

Before pissing all over the Red Cross, do you know how much BCH charges patients who receive blood (honest question)? No matter who collects the blood, there are costs associated with the collection. Sterile medicle supplies, nurses salaries, malpractice insurance, storage, transportation, etc. all add up. Add to all that the lab tests for HIV, hepetitis, and any other viruses or parasites they screen for (which doesn't come cheap at the hospital either).

I'm at well over a gallon donated by now. Love doing the double red donation as you're still able to give with less overall needle sticks in the course of a year. I highly encourage everyone to give that can.

The Red Cross makes donating very easy. There are local drives all over the place and you can schedule your appointment to cut down on waiting time. If you don't like that option, I know that the major Boston hospitals (Children's, Brigham/Womens, and MGH) have donation centers that you can walk into.

Plug time
My grandparents started a blood drive in Hough's Neck, Quincy over 20 years ago due to my uncle being killed by a drunk driver. When my grandmother passed, the drive was expanded to include her name as well.
I highly encourage anyone eligible to go donate at the drive, if you can and are willing. As an added bonus/incentive, my family still makes lots of homemade treats for the canteen area, such as cheesecake squares, brownies, and cookies.

Date: Should be Tuesday, July 16 (annually 3rd Tuesday of July)
Location: St. Thomas Aquinas Hall, 1031 Sea Street, Quincy, MA 02169
Time: Usually 2-7/8pm

Article from a few years ago about the drive: Houghs Neck Chris and Trudy Peter Memorial Blood Drive

This will horrify you guys. I always donated and at one point I tested low on iron. They waited and tried the other hand and I just barely made it. They said they never see that in guys. Needless to say they took my blood. Long story short fast forward a few months, I was having a ton of other side effects and went to my PCP. He calls me at 8:30pm and says be at the cancer center at 9am tomorrow. Diagnosed with leukemia. Reds were off the chart, whites and platelets virtually nonexistent. Supposedly two weeks from my body shutting down. Doc said it didn't just appear and there should have been serious concerns when RC tested my blood. After jumping through hoops to find out what they did with my blood, it turns out they gave it to 3 people (which they shouldn't have). They had to notify those people to be tested and supposedly need/needed follow up testing. That killed any trust I had in the RC. No phone call or letter to me advising to go see my doc (which the nurse insisted they should have done) or disposing of leukemia infested blood. Nope ship it on out more money, more money! THEY SUCK!!!

I donate regularly and was just turned down for the first time due to low iron. It just turned 8 weeks from my last donation and the nurse told me to wait another week or two for my iron levels to rise back up (I was just below the limit).

I do double reds 4x a year. I used to do platelets 2x month but my veins got beat up and would throw the needle. I know some people bitch about the red cross selling the blood but I tend to think of cancer patients and how desperately they need blood, especially the children. I don't have alot of money to donate so this is my way of making a difference.

I donate my O- 2-3 times a year. The Red Cross has a drive at the Marriott a couple of minutes from where I work, so it's very convenient.

I used to donate for the red cross, but with the phone calls bordering on harassment even after being asked not to call twice I have decided to donate locally. I am o+ and try to donate as often as possible. Reading this thread has made me wonder about platelets donation mainly what it takes.

I donated once and, I was drowsy for 3 days afterwards. Didn't like that, so haven't donated since then. I admire those who donate regularly, just not sure if I should do it again.

Back
Top Bottom