• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you collect Garands?

How many Garands do you own?

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • 2 to 6

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • 7 to 12

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • 13 to 24

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 25 or more

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
May '44 Winchester, Danish return (my mother is Danish). Stock serialed to the action by the Danes. 1944 10-ore piece in the comb; the Danes put a unit disc there, or the coin. RA-P refurbish, original barrel, still with lock bar rear sight. I did replace some Springfield parts with Winchester...bolt, op-rod, trigger guard, and front sight. Danish sling and bayonet scabbard.

t

Attachments

• IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
May '44 Winchester, Danish return (my mother is Danish). Stock serialed to the action by the Danes. 1944 10-ore piece in the comb; the Danes put a unit disc there, or the coin. RA-P refurbish, original barrel, still with lock bar rear sight. I did replace some Springfield parts with Winchester...bolt, op-rod, trigger guard, and front sight. Danish sling and bayonet scabbard.

t

Tim that ones a looker! Very nice! CMP gun?

I only collect shooters so no rhyme or reason to mine
sadly I had to let some go over the years to pay for other things

I should say I've had a total of 4...three other Springfields...they went away in the Great Downsize of '17. A few minutes ago, I took the Winchester down off the rack. I am so weak, I can't even rack the action with my right arm. I can't have my surgery until 2/5/2020 because of my heart attack. My right rotator cuff was rebuilt in 2009; I pulled the mounts out of my shoulder and tore the superspinatus again last June during the move to New Bedford.

t

My 3
PjaQgSl.jpg

Mine is a .308 special grade that I traded one of my Colt 1911's for last year. The previous owner bought it from CMP in '14, brand new and had never fired it. I've put around 300 rounds though it so far. It's a 1953 receiver. I know it's heresy but I have no interest in picking up a 30-06 Garand. I don't need another expensive caliber to shoot! (Although I'm already reloading .308).

Blue paint... NATO blue. It was built by Brookfield Precision Tool and has a Barnett medium weight barrel chambered in 7.62 NATO.

Didn't Brookfield make shoes? It's probably no good and you should just sell it to me.

Seriously though...where the heck did you come across that one?!?! I've never even heard of a BPT build Garand.

I'm down to 3, and all are match guns. One is a .308 National Match clone that I built myself. Learned a lot and had fun doing it, plus with some fine tuning was able to make a real tack-driver. Shoots better than I can with irons at 100 or 200 yards.

OcsFP11.jpg

ah3qj7Jh.jpg

This next one started with a DuPage tiger stripe stock when @mac1911 gave me a head's up about a really low sale price for the stock. I ordered a CMP Field Grade and ended up getting a WWII serial # SA that was probably a Turkish return. Condition was a little rough but all I really wanted was an organ donor for a JC Garand match gun. Turned it over to a highly skilled armorer and national record holder that we know, and this is what came out the other end:

BUR8O9Z.jpg

SUyHOItl.jpg
Kreiger barrel and relatively tight chamber- shoots nice.

Last one is just your basic CMP 'Special' Grade. Don't have a pic but it basically looks like a new Garand in a nice walnut CMP stock and has a Criterion match barrel. I had this one tuned / fitted for match shooting by the armorer mentioned above. Might put it in this stock, which I won as a door prize at the CMP New England match last fall:

7JjMT6Sl.jpg

Didn't Brookfield make shoes? It's probably no good and you should just sell it to me.

Seriously though...where the heck did you come across that one?!?! I've never even heard of a BPT build Garand.

Mitch made lots of things but I don't think he ever made shoes. This M1 he made for his now ex-wife and he dropped it at Tombstone Trading to sell and rid himself of reminders of her. It stood out in the crowd and caught my eye then came home with me. I told him I'd exercise the evil spirits from it.

Let’s see...

Two run of the mill mix-master WW2 Springfields. One in a birch stock, the other in a nice EMcF stock. They both came from the CMP with US government property tags still attached.

Two H&Rs. One all correct (received from the CMP that way) the other a nice Korean Import (Blue Sky) with Korean marked sling.

One IHC- all correct and in excellent condition. Came from the CMP with the wrong trigger assembly, which I have swapped out.

M1C with matching numbered base. Reproduction bracket and Alaskan scope. USGI cheekpad.

M1D with all USGI accessories. Early Hart cone flash hider. I may put this flash hider on the M1C and get a T-37 for this rifle.

A good supply of extra parts as well.

I am sorely missing a Winchester. Will be looking for a nice six-digit soon, once I save up some more pennies.

I’m at the point that I need to focus on quality instead of quantity, but it is difficult to pass up on good deals that aren’t anything really special!

How are you getting these CMPs? Every time I go to their site it seems like they're all sold out.

How are you getting these CMPs? Every time I go to their site it seems like they're all sold out.

Probably all prior purchases. They were for me.

There are enough out there that they come up for sale regularly. Not committed, but thinking about selling my CMP Special since it's pretty much a duplicate of the one I had locally built. I'm more into shooting / competing than collecting, but I really enjoy the pics / posts from those who are into collecting.

Back
Top Bottom