• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do people buy someone else's shotgun reloads?

Machines

NES Member
Something I'm wondering about. An old buddy of mine got out of shooting and has a large stash of reloaded skeet ammo he did about 10 years ago. Hundreds of 28ga shells done on a progressive.

Do people ever buy someone else's reloads or is the uncertainty too great? I know you hear about kabooms now and then from improperly loaded ammo.

Something I'm wondering about. An old buddy of mine got out of shooting and has a large stash of reloaded skeet ammo he did about 10 years ago. Hundreds of 28ga shells done on a progressive.

Do people ever buy someone else's reloads or is the uncertainty too great? I know you hear about kabooms now and then from improperly loaded ammo.

If your buddy took you to the range, would you shoot his reloads?

I would be more interested in his loaders or guns. I have shot reloads of other shooters I feel comfortable with. Shot shells don't seem to store as well as brass ammo. How does it smell. Any musty oder or moldy boxes. Look for corrosion around the primer also.

I don't shoot other people's reloads. Half the questions here are from new reloaders. How many times do you read a question here and cringe? How many times do you see responses here that indicate they'd like advance notice on someone going to the range so they can book a flight? How many of you have a "special" box in your reloading room?

I am not an expert on shotgun reloading though I do it. That being said, with a shotgun reload using bird shot, I'd try and shoot it as long as it looked like it was made properly. I do not think you have the same pressure considerations as if you were shooting rifle or pistol.

Dave

Yes, some people buy other's reloads but I don't.

I have shot other people's reloads in my guns on a limited basis but only people that I trust.
This. If it is someone I trust and I know he was a competent reloaded, all day if the price is right. Especially shotgun reloads - that's pretty basic and as long as he wasn't making super hot loads, you won't likely have problems.

Thanks for the input. I trust the guy but I don't have a 28ga gun so it's no use to me. He's going to give me all his shooting stuff (no guns any more) so you might see it in the classifies soon.

This. If it is someone I trust and I know he was a competent reloaded, all day if the price is right. Especially shotgun reloads - that's pretty basic and as long as he wasn't making super hot loads, you won't likely have problems.

No deviation on shotgun shell recipes. It is right or it is wrong.

Most of my shotgun ammo comes from my brother. His loads have never caused any grief and if I'm there while he's reloading, I know what's inside of them. Even factory ammo, you have to go on faith that they are assembled properly...

We are talking shotgun loads.

The round is so cheap. Why not buy new?

Have you ever actually priced 28 Ga shells? They are NOT cheap. Very few people use 28 as opposed to say 12 ga other than for skeet or certain bird hunting.

I used to load tons of 12 Ga, but since lead went way up, I wait for it to go on sale at the stores.

I honestly wouldn't have any issues shooting them. If I found a 28ga shell on the ground I would probable shoot it.

No never.. and I have been reloading shot shells for 40 years. I will not shoot someone else and will not let anyone shoot mine in other then my guns.
The liability is just to great, friend or no friend you will get sued people do strange shit for money.

First off, why doesn't he shoot any more? Did he blow up his only shotgun with his reloads?

If the shells were loaded with steel shot I probably wouldn't shoot them since I would be worried about the shot being left in a damp basement for years where it could rust together into a rusty chunk of trouble.

If they are loaded with lead for sure and he'd been using the same load himself for years I'd shoot them.

Well...he called me up today and I came home with 400 rounds of 28ga and 250 rounds of 20ga, plus 150 empty 20ga hulls and a progressive 20ga reloading press.

28ga shotguns are hard to find but I suppose I could find a 20ga.

Shotgun loads are a stacked column. Pretty much right or wrong. I would cut open a couple just for shits and giggles but with the price of lead they are going downrange. Just did the same last week with a deal I did on reloading stuff and got 50 boxes of 12ga for an extra $40. Future son in law and myself ran 10 boxes Sun and as far as I am concerned the other boxes are going downrange the same way. Pistol and rifle reloads no way but shotgun I'll shoot.

Meh.

I have done it, and have found:

1) with loads (at $1/box!) from the estate of a guy that was known to load hot loads, that they were hot. I used my Winchester 1400, which has a rotary-bolt lock-up so I was not worried that they would be too much. I would NOT have used them from a vintage double.

2) with loads from an old-time ATA shooter (that was known to people that used to shoot with him at my club), yep. No issues.

As a general rule, it's tougher to get a dangerously hot load from a shotshell than a rifle. Possible, but even a double charge from a shotshell in a modern, tight gun is generally a surprise, not a problem. More of a problem is a squib, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom