• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do no call list violation

I'm on the Do Not Call List. Just recd a call from a telemarketer. Someone told me once if you follow up on violations you can get some cash from it. Any truth to that?

Yup. This website has some information on how to do it. You might want to check out the message board; that's new since the last time I was on this site.

Basically, you need to find out who called (whether it was a call center or the actual company being represented) so you can file suit against them in small claims court.

$500/instance.

Ross
Telecom Manager for Hire.

What telemarketer was it?

Some are exempt from sugh law, such as businesses you've recently done business with, political, and a few others.

If you have, say, an Visa card, they can call you to try to sell you MORE stuff.

Also, was it a telemarketer, or a survey?

I used to recieve a LOT of telemarketing calls, home and cell, and with the exception of the exempt ones, they all stoped imediatetly!

Republic of Mass said:
What telemarketer was it?

Some are exempt from sugh law, such as businesses you've recently done business with, political, and a few others.

If you have, say, an Visa card, they can call you to try to sell you MORE stuff.

Also, was it a telemarketer, or a survey?

I used to recieve a LOT of telemarketing calls, home and cell, and with the exception of the exempt ones, they all stoped imediatetly!

The ONLY exemptions for cold calls are political calls and charities. And if you tell them to put you on their do not call list (use those EXACT words!) they must comply and have about 30 days to never call you again unsolicited. If they do, it's a $500 judgement to you.

Personally, when I get calls from politicians, I explain in great detail how they've ensured that I will vote AGAINST the person who's campaign just called me. I never have gotten a second call when I do that... [twisted]

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Personally, when I get calls from politicians, I explain in great detail how they've ensured that I will vote AGAINST the person who's campaign just called me. I never have gotten a second call when I do that... [twisted]

You do that too? Works great, don't it? [lol]

Cell Phone. No telemarketers. And back when we had regular phone service, we also did the same thing, and add that we WERE going to vote for them, but not any more.

Or try to sell them something, if it's a sales call.

It was some Mortgage company. I asked twice but the lady said the name so fast (probably done on purpose) I coudn't understand. The name & number came up as out of area. I could hear lot's of telemarketers/keyboards/rings in the background.

Have to take em to court though huh? Sounds like a pain.

Keep asking her what the name is; by law she has to answer you. and yes, it's a pain to take a day and go to court, but on the bright side of things is that they will probably not bother to show up... $500 is very little to them. Oh, yes, when you ask to be put on their do not call list, ask them if they have a do not call policy - and ask them to send you a copy. another $500 if they don't.

Back
Top Bottom