• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I Wanna Start?

JonJ

NES Member
I've thought about it a lot, reloading that is. I don't want to spend a big chunk of cash cause I don't know if I'll like it. Almost everyone says, it should be a progressive setup and Dillon at that. New is too much and Ebay is close to new prices. I did find an older RCBS Ammomaster progressive I could get for about $150 but no extras with it.
Set up will be primarily for rifle .223 now and maybe 30-06 later.
I guess what I'm asking is, is the RCBS Ammomaster a good machine?
I'm almost thinking to just hold out and do some "yard saleing" this spring and maybe find some real cheap stuff, even if it is single stage.
Thanks,
Jon

JonJ said:
I've thought about it a lot, reloading that is. I don't want to spend a big chunk of cash cause I don't know if I'll like it. Almost everyone says, it should be a progressive setup and Dillon at that. New is too much and Ebay is close to new prices. I did find an older RCBS Ammomaster progressive I could get for about $150 but no extras with it.
I'm almost thinking to just hold out and do some "yard saleing" this spring and maybe find some real cheap stuff, even if it is single stage.
Thanks,
Jon

Jon - If you're going to shoot match loads and start shooting in competitions then I would say yes. I don't know if it would be worth it to load plinking rounds as cheap as some of the stuff out there is. It can be a little expensive to get set up in the beginning but there are ways to help control cost. There is nothing wrong with finding a used press.

RCBS is good stuff. Also, if you're loading match you don't need a progressive because every round is done by hand. In other words, you'll weigh each and every powder charge, hand prime each case, and measure each bullet for correct depth. So, a single stage is the way to go. Find a used RCBS Rockchucker and you'll be all set for a press. You don't need the absolute top of the line stuff. You just need adequate gear to make good consistent loads. Make sure you don't skimp on the scale. Get a good quality RCBS beam scale to weigh powder.

I have an old RCBS 4X4 Auto. It's a four station progressive press. I use it because it was given to me. However, I use it like a single stage. Look around for deals. EE on arfcom will have guys selling good single stage presses and equip.

Let me know if I can help any more. Good luck.

Hubby and I started reloading (we got a used one to start with - a Lee single) and some used equipment to go with it. Since we teach almost every week and have at least 2 per class, we go through a lot of ammo. It's a lot cheaper to reload than it is to keep buying. We enjoy doing it. We throw on some CD's and do it together.

I've been looking at a newer one as an anniversary present - I forget which brand it was, but it does everything - all you do is sit there and work the lever. This thing's better than sliced bread! :D

JonJ said:
Almost everyone says, it should be a progressive setup and Dillon at that. New is too much and Ebay is close to new prices.

Thanks,
Jon

I'm one of the desenters, then.

I'd go with an RCBS RockChucker, especially for rifle ammo. Buying used equipment is OK, but buy a new powder scale and preferably, a new powder measure. Used dies are OK. I'd recommend buying RCBS or Redding equipment as much as possible.

I would not recommend a progressive machine for rifle ammo, and not for a beginner, pistol or rifle. I've got over 40 years experience reloading, I started out helping my father (Class 6 FFL, ammo). Because of the required steps and order, I will NOT use a progressive press to make rifle ammo.

If you'd like particular recommendations, PM me. I'll be glad to help you with your particular situation.

Thanks everyone. I think if I do start, it will be with a single stage. From what I'm told, if I decide to go progressive at a later time, I will always have a need for the single anyway.
Jon

Singles work well for some pretty fast reloads as well. Once your set up, you can rip out 50 or so pistol caliber rounds in about an hour. Progressives are good if your looking at reloading a lot at one sitting.

Rooster said:
Singles work well for some pretty fast reloads as well. Once your set up, you can rip out 50 or so pistol caliber rounds in about an hour. Progressives are good if your looking at reloading a lot at one sitting.

The main concern is the initial investment because I just may not like doing it. And I suppose it's a much better way to actually learn what's going on and keep a better eye on things.
Rifle will be the main loads.

Thanks for the offer, Nickle.
Jon

JonJ said:
Rooster said:

The main concern is the initial investment because I just may not like doing it. And I suppose it's a much better way to actually learn what's going on and keep a better eye on things.
Rifle will be the main loads.

Thanks for the offer, Nickle.
Jon

This article http://www.geocities.com/gunversation/reloading101/reloading101.htm suggests you get this kit http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1115728892.3775=/html/catalog/anivers.html when you decide you want to try reloading. I've been thinking of doing just that. It's only $110 bucks, which is a small investment to try something out before going whole hog.

This isn't my recommendation, I'm just sharing information someone shared with me. I have never reloaded anything beyond shotgun.

Some may balk at this but, think about getting a Lee Aniversary kit, a set of Lee dies and the correct case-length gauge for the trimmer and you should be all set to load. A cheap way to see if you like it and you can upgrade as you go along.

TonyD said:
Some may balk at this but, think about getting a Lee Aniversary kit, a set of Lee dies and the correct case-length gauge for the trimmer and you should be all set to load. A cheap way to see if you like it and you can upgrade as you go along.
Hey OK Tony. I hadn't given Lee a look. I was looking at Dillon and RCBS. I'm checking Midway right now for prices and they should be even lower once I get my C&R in to them.
Thanks

OK guys, brainpicking time again. Is there a major advantage from a plain old single stage to a turret press? Is it worth it?

Jon, I like simplicity as much as possible. I agree with Nickle that single stage is the way to go for rifle rounds, especially if you start loading match grade rounds. I think turret and progressive presses make loading pistol rounds quicker.

Lee is not the best but it will get you the basics to get started for cheap if you're not sure. Also, that Lee press is good to stick a decapping die in later when you upgrade. If you can find a used RCBS Rock Chucker for $50 - $60, I'd jump on it.

I've used both. Both work well. Turret presses aren't quite as strong as an O press (RockChucker). But, that's a non-issue, unless you're in to case forming from one caliber to another.

FWIW, I use an RCBS RockChucker, and I load several thousands or ammo each year. I've considered getting a Dillon to do the pistol ammo, but haven't yet.

Jon, The Lee Anniversary kit is $63.95, C&R FFL price.

Never used one and never loaded rifle, only pistol. My first press was the RCBS Rockchucker. . . sold it ~15 years ago to a co-worker (at that time, DEC) for $50.

I have a Lyman All-American turret that I loaded a lot of pistol on. . . haven't used it in 20 years. Also have a new Dillon 450B (yup, before the 550) all set up but never used, and a new Dillon 650 (not setup, yet) that I bought from Carl at one of his Thanksgiving sales a few years ago.

Since I am about to take two defensive handgun courses this Summer (Randy Cain in June, Gabe Suarez in July), I'll be needing a lot of pistol ammo (~600 rds and ~1000 rds respectively) and plan on reloading the vast majority of it (.45ACP with .40S&W as a backup gun).

Thanks guys. Lots of good info.
I think the RCBS may be the way to go but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for anything used. I missed out on a Dillon 550 a couple of months ago. But it's just as well.
Thanks for the price check Len. I finnaly sent my C&R out today to a few places and Midway was top of the list.

These guys seem to know a lot..

So I don't have much to add. I've been reloading on a Dillon 550B for some time. I pretty much load pistol rounds. But I really like it. I've done some comparisons, to buy .45 rounds it was about .25 cents a bang. To reload it (after buying factory and keeping the brass) it was about .7 cents a bang. Even for going to the range and plinking 100-200 rounds a visit, that's quite a savings.

I have both RCBS and Dillon Dies and I've found that cleaning the lead out of the Dillon dies are worth having the Dillon over the RCBS. With the Dillon you can just drop up the dies without having to take out the section that you set. So, when you clean them, you just put the cotter pin back on and drop them in. With the RCBS dies, you have to completely take them out, and then re-seat them, try, fiddle, try, move, try, and it's like your setting up your dies all over again.

I don't know, I just find that much easier.

As for wondering if you like it or not. That I can't answer. I can say that the money I save by reloading I DO like. :)

Well I pulled the trigger and my RCBS Supreme Master kit will be here tomorrow. I got it used with some dies and other accessories. I decided on the single stage because I'll be reloading rifle and just about everyone I've talked to says that even though they use a progressive they have a single stage too and use it regularly.
I also picked up an old RCBS JR3 that I'll set up for depriming and swagging mil brass exclusively.
All that'll be left to get is some .223 dies, and a caliper. And of course, actual reloading supplies.
I have a lot to learn and I'll picking everyones brains.
Thanks,
Jon

JonJ said:
Well I pulled the trigger and my RCBS Supreme Master kit will be here tomorrow. I got it used with some dies and other accessories. I decided on the single stage because I'll be reloading rifle and just about everyone I've talked to says that even though they use a progressive they have a single stage too and use it regularly.
I also picked up an old RCBS JR3 that I'll set up for depriming and swagging mil brass exclusively.
All that'll be left to get is some .223 dies, and a caliper. And of course, actual reloading supplies.
I have a lot to learn and I'll picking everyones brains.
Thanks,
Jon

Jon - That's great! I assume that comes with a Rockchucker press? Single stage is the way to go for loading rifle.

When you can, let us know what all you got and maybe we can guide you on what else you might need.

Congrat's!

Yup, it's the Rockchucker. When I get it home, I'll spead it all out and do an inventory. It's coming with .308 dies, great for my M14 and I believe he has a swagger and some .308 brass to throw in too.
I guess I finnally have a good reason to clean the bench off down cellar [wink]

OK, Picked up the kit today. I didn't realize that there was so much to this.
Looks like some .223 brass, more powder and some .223 dies/shell holder and I'm ready to go.
Here's the list. All RCBS, all like new.

Rock Chucker press with auto primer feed
Trim-Pro Manual case trimmer
5-0-5 Scale
Powder Measure/Powder Trickler/Funnel
Bullet Puller
FL .308 Die set/Shell Holder
.308 Precision Mic
Primer Pocket Swager
Primer Tray
Ammo Box (med rifle)
Loading Block
Case Lube Pad/2 Bottles case lube
Primer Pocket brush
Fold up Hex Key Wrench set
Speer #13 Manual
1K CCI BR-2 Lg Rifle Bench Rest Primers
1K Winchester Lg Rifle Standard Primers
1/2 lb IMR 4895 powder
100 Sierra Matchking .308 168gr
100 Speer Gold Match " "
5-7 lbs of .308 brass, LC Match and RG headstamp

Nice, Jon!

You'll probably need a .223 collet for the case trimmer.

I would suggest getting a hand priming tool. Also, a set of dial calipers and Stoney Point length gauges and bullet comparator.

Sounds like you got a heck of deal from someone.

TonyD said:
Nice, Jon!

I would suggest getting a hand priming tool. Also, a set of dial calipers and Stoney Point length gauges and bullet comparator.

Ya I think I did get a deal. The trimmer has 4 shell holders and 9 "pilots". Pilots the same as the collet you mentioned?
Looks like I need to place an order with Midway for the other stuff. Do you recommend a dial over digital?
Any pref on the hand priming tool? RCBS OK?

Nickle said:
Hey Jon

Want some 223 brass? It'll all be commercial. Let me know.
Hey thanks Nickle. I'll hold off for now. I'm taking a 40 hr Police Instructors Range course next week. It'll be pistol, shotgun and patrol rifle. I should be able to get some .223 off the ground. I think I'll grab some .40 too while I'm there.

JonJ said:
TonyD said:
Nice, Jon!

Ya I think I did get a deal. The trimmer has 4 shell holders and 9 "pilots". Pilots the same as the collet you mentioned?
Looks like I need to place an order with Midway for the other stuff. Do you recommend a dial over digital?
Any pref on the hand priming tool? RCBS OK?

I believe that 'pilot' is the correct nomenclature.

I like dial because I've used them a lot. Also, I like simplicity. I use a Lee auto prime because it was cheap. I'm quite sure the RCBS is better quality.

Back
Top Bottom