• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I understand this right?

Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
1,098
Likes
77
Location
South Shore Mass.
Feedback: 8 / 0 / 0
With the AG regulations that are now inplace in this state, An individual who owns a handgun (in this case a Glock 22) but lives in another state, cannot bring that legally owned firearm into this state if they move here?
 
Hamar said:
With the AG regulations that are now inplace in this state, An individual who owns a handgun (in this case a Glock 22) but lives in another state, cannot bring that legally owned firearm into this state if they move here?

The AGs regs apply to Dealers, NOT individuals. The regs were formed under Consumer Protection.

So I guess the answer to the topic heading is NO :)
Regards,
 
NO!.

Again, NO!.

The AG's regulations only affect what Mass. DEALERS can sell to Mass. RESIDENTS. Period.

They do NOT affect what you can bring when moving to Mass. OR what you can carry when licensed here.

People moving into the state can bring any handgun they own and any long arm except "assault weapons" and machine guns with them. They can bring the MGs once they get the permit. That restriction is under Chapter 180 and has NOTHING to do with the AG's regulations.
 
OK..Good. Thanks.

So, an individual can own/register and after getting the proper permits, carry the gun he brought with him? Secondly, could he, if he wanted to, sell that gun later?
 
Yes he could sell that gun, but only in a face to face transaction with another licensed person.


Adam
 
One addendum to Scrivener's remarks:

You can NOT bring "no-ban" mags (hi-cap, made after 9/13/94) into MA for any reason (not if you move here, not to compete, not to do training, not to attend a gun show, etc.) unless you are LE! So, said person should sell their "standard capacity" mags before they get here with their G22 and buy low-cap mags to replace them.
 
OK, here's a question for you lawyer-wannabes (and actual lawyers).

I have a friend who has been living in another state who is coming to stay with us for a while, who has some firearms he wants to bring with him. I have a current LTC-A, but his MA LTC is expired at the moment.

Can he bring them with him in his luggage and have me meet him at the airport or something to take possession of them? Or if I fly in with him and have possession of the firearms would that be legal?
Or does he need to renew his license before these guns can be brought here at all?
 
Is he visiting for a short while or is he moving here?

People moving in are allowed to bring their guns with them and have a grace period.

People visiting have no such luxury!
 
So, an individual can own/register and after getting the proper permits
A clarification here. MA does not register guns. MA registers transfers of guns. That is, if you buy, sell, find, or lose a gun, you must tell the state using form FA10. When you move into MA, you are not buying, selling, finding, or losing a gun. Therefore, when you move into the state, you do not have to register your guns.
 
Just a story,

I am a Cape Codder but travel to Texas allot to visit the wife’s family. I really love to hit the pawn shops, honky tonks, BBQ etc in these hickville areas.

Early last year I was looking at an old fashion Colt revolver in a real dirt bag pawn shop in Longview, East Texas. They wanted $300 for it, and I knew it was a deal.

So I told them no thanks, it’s not legal for me as a mass resident to even have it shipped to an FFL. But they said, “No Problem, use someone’s address that you know in Texas.” She pointed to a government building across the street. “Get a legal license and you can bring it back with you on the flight to Mass. It only takes a few days. Then get your Massachusetts license back in a few months.” She told me that this happens fairly frequently. She knew of a few Maryland and California Residents that did it just recently.

Well it was tempting, but no way was I biting. So anyone got an old fashioned Colt for $300 in MA? I didn’t think so.
 
M1911 said:
A clarification here. MA does not register guns. MA registers transfers of guns. That is, if you buy, sell, find, or lose a gun, you must tell the state using form FA10. When you move into MA, you are not buying, selling, finding, or losing a gun. Therefore, when you move into the state, you do not have to register your guns.

Not to nitpick, M, and meaning no disrespect - the only folks who have "paperless" guns are the ones that move here with them. Filling out an FA10 may not be labeled as "registration", but "A rose is a rose is a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."
 
Nickle said:
Producer, that was a solicitation to commit a Federal Felony. You did the right thing by NOT buying it.

Either that, or it was potential entrapment by a federal officer. She was really blatant about it and it did upset me.
 
Lynne:

If you read the entire thread, it involves a person who owns a gun that is not on the list, lives in another state, and then moves into MA. The following question was asked:
So, an individual can own/register and after getting the proper permits, carry the gun he brought with him?
There is no requirement for a person moving into MA to register the guns that they already own.

There are states that require each gun to be registered when you move into that state -- I believe that NY requires that.
 
M1911 said:
Lynne:

If you read the entire thread, it involves a person who owns a gun that is not on the list, lives in another state, and then moves into MA. The following question was asked:
So, an individual can own/register and after getting the proper permits, carry the gun he brought with him?
There is no requirement for a person moving into MA to register the guns that they already own.

There are states that require each gun to be registered when you move into that state -- I believe that NY requires that.

I did read the whole thread dearest...that's part of being a Mod. :D [wink] I understand that it involves a person who does not live here, but moves here with his guns. I know they do not have to fill out the FA10 when they move here - I was referring to those of us who DO live here and have to fill out the FA10, even in a FTF transfer. As I said - a rose is a rose is a rose.... etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom