Do I really need a 10mm 1911???

Have the Glock 29. Fun to shoot and snappy. Sig220 really interests me if all stainless. Love it as a heavy weight pistol. The Springfield is the other that I'd love to check out. Had a chance at a Colt Delta Elite at Hunters, thought about it too long and lost the chance. Now got the itch again...

10mm is a hiking round for me that will drop anything two or four-legged in North America. Can't escape the weight but an all steel 10mm isnt an option. I carry a 4.5" in recently new XDM flavor that's about 8-10oz lighter than a G20.

I have a Springfield tpr with 6 inch barrel. Good so far . Past experience with a ruger 10mm is they are garbage . Posted in another 10mm thread so not going do again . Peace of crap , junk and possibly dangerous and if you you get the impression I dont like these pieces of shit you're right . Springfield on the other hand is very accurate and with the added weight of the 6 inch barrel recoil is very mild . I'm running handloads with bluedot and Underwood 180's with no hiccups . Sights haven't broken off and barrel lug hasn't fractured at the link pin .

Back to the OP's question...
No. But it's a gun, when has that stopped any of us?

I have 2 1911's, 2 G23's, 2 AR's (just my duplicate guns). Don't 'need' any of them, wanting is a whole 'nother monster.

I've shot the older S&W series, which are nice but they just don't have the feel of a 1911. A few years ago I bought my bucket list 1st Gen Delta Elite from another NESer and really enjoy it. Smooth shooting and very manageable recoil for a 10mm. It survived without any damage a bad kaboom load from the now infamous OATH ammo. Tack driver with good ammo and easy shooting. If you don't like a Delta Elite, someone will snatch it up quickly when you go to sell.

As much as I like the 10mm, my next 1911 might become a 460 Rowland conversion.

I have the Sig 1911 Tacops in 10mm and like it. My other 1911s are in .45 and the 10mm doesn't kick any harder than a .45+P

I own a G20. It's my only 10mm. I need another.
It's a fun round to shoot. As fun as my 357mag.

But.... as others have mentioned, you should learn to handload.

Most store bought 10mm is very weak. I had some American eagle 10mm and could not tell the difference between 40s&w.

Seriously, I loaded a mag with both 10mm and 40, and couldn't tell the difference.

I would recommend Underwood for 10mm hands down. Also make sure your gun can handle it.
I bought an aftermarket barrel for my glock. The factory barrel destroys the brass.

So I can never determine what it is that I'm going to want as my next firearm. For some reason I've been getting more and more interested in a 10mm handgun. I'm thinking that since the 1911 is my favorite platform my next firearm will be a 1911 in 10mm. Though that is not set in stone. 10mm is set, but the platform is still up for debate.

So what's your thoughts on 10mm 1911s and if it was your choice what 10mm platform would you prefer?
love my ruger 10mm 1911; little more weight than a standard 1911 but tames the recoil. at first did not care for the target sights until shooting it at 100 yards; they hold right in. also have a old ported glock 20 which also performs and carries well; ports help with the recoil since the gun is light in weight

I have a Springfield tpr with 6 inch barrel. Good so far . Past experience with a ruger 10mm is they are garbage . Posted in another 10mm thread so not going do again . Peace of crap , junk and possibly dangerous and if you you get the impression I dont like these pieces of shit you're right . Springfield on the other hand is very accurate and with the added weight of the 6 inch barrel recoil is very mild . I'm running handloads with bluedot and Underwood 180's with no hiccups . Sights haven't broken off and barrel lug hasn't fractured at the link pin .

"I have a Ruger in 10MM . I loved the gun at first . Guns been back for repair twice . All factory ammo no reloads . First the front sight broke off and shortly after that the rear sight broke in half at the elevation screw . The final straw was the barrel lug cracked were the link pin goes through . Ruger service was good , they send me shipping labels and returns the junk in short order . Would NOT recommend. I don't know how to post pics off this phone but if you want to see the damage pm me a number I can text to and I'll send a pic or2. I have a Springfield now with about 400 rounds through it and nothing has fallen of and the gun runs well . I usually don't bad mouth a product but the ruger is a piece of crap"

I went back and found your post because I have one and wanted to be aware of potential problems. MMA also not a fan of the Ruger. Only have 500 or so rounds through it. Hopefully I do not have same issues but it is good info to have.

Doing bowling pin shoots this summer at my club noticed one of the old timers had a Glock 20, asked him his thoughts. He said very manageable and he liked it, uses it as a backup when deer hunting. Not saying that older guys can't handle a 10mm but just surprised by his no-problem attitude towards the round and it's kick. Ammo does cost more than 9mm so he might have less trigger time.

I blame Rockrivr1 for this.. He opened the door and now I have a 10mm.
583LF-WF-B1.png

I'm curious - do you have a review for the Delta Elite? Thanks!

Sure. It’s been an awesome shooter. Have around 400 rounds through her so far and not one hiccup yet. Very accurate as well.

The only thing that annoys me a little is that it flings brass a good 10-12 feet away from where your standing. Makes it hard to find your brass. 😁 Otherwise it’s a great gun.

EEE083B4-7785-438D-B4AF-3B925D777339.jpeg

Sure. It’s been an awesome shooter. Have around 400 rounds through her so far and not one hiccup yet. Very accurate as well.

The only thing that annoys me a little is that it flings brass a good 10-12 feet away from where your standing. Makes it hard to find your brass. 😁 Otherwise it’s a great gun.

View attachment 574595
I have a Gen 1 Delta. I see the brass still launches into orbit.

I bought a Delta Elite At Bob's in Salisbury back in the early 90's, (in the old Bobs location on the corner), which now I think its a CVS.
Wasn't much of a carry gun so it was basically just a range rat and then a safe queen, I ended up selling it. I don't miss 10mm but it was fun to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom