• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I need to register C&R purchases?

LLF

NES Member
I live in MA. I have a FFL03 and have purchased several collector firearms on GunBroker.
All the firearms are 50+ years old, mostly WW2-era handguns. No rifles, machine guns or anything else that could be considered out of bounds.
In several cases the firearms were shipped directly to me. Do I need to register the direct-shipped GunBroker purchases using the MA firearms portal?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Yes. All firearm purchases need to be registered with an EFA-10. The only exception is firearms classified as antiques. Generally those are ones made around a date in the 1800s and need to be classified as such.

I thought the selling point of the 03 was so you don’t have to register

ONE of the selling points is that you can have your C&R items shipped directly to the address listed on your 03 FFL (if seller agrees and accepts your 03) bypassing an additional FFL and a transfer fee - however state law and federal law have nothing to do with each other. You need to comply with both. So if in MA, you need to comply with MA law as they care not about your 03.

Just let your Curio Relic license expires for a few days before you renew.

Then you don't have to bother with that silly paperwork.

When your license expires, you can throw away all the paperwork anyways.

Every time you get a new license you start fresh.

Just let your Curio Relic license expires for a few days before you renew.

Then you don't have to bother with that silly paperwork.

When your license expires, you can throw away all the paperwork anyways.

Every time you get a new license you start fresh.

OP was inquiring about MA Firearms portal registrations. It sounds like you are referring to the FFL bound book.

This should be over in the C&R mega thread.

Yes they need to be registered. Note that registering means you don't enter any of the seller's info. into the online form (you do enter it into the bound book). Even with fully above-board transactions, don't give the state the seller's info. It can do you zero good, and if the state gets its panties in a bunch for some reason, it's more info they might be able to twist around and exploit.

ONE of the selling points is that you can have your C&R items shipped directly to the address listed on your 03 FFL (if seller agrees and accepts your 03) bypassing an additional FFL and a transfer fee - however state law and federal law have nothing to do with each other. You need to comply with both. So if in MA, you need to comply with MA law as they care not about your 03.

It was also useful for getting the FFL discount from online retailers like Brownells and Midway USA, however
I'm not certain if they still offer it anymore, I do know that as time went on the discount's weren't as great
and it applied to fewer items.

Too bad to, my C&R paid for itself in the first 4-6 months from the savings.

There are some online ammo sellers that will sell to you with C&R that won’t sell to individuals.
why bother with bound book if you have to register? I don’t want the state to know what I got.

There are some online ammo sellers that will sell to you with C&R that won’t sell to individuals.
why bother with bound book if you have to register? I don’t want the state to know what I got.

The bound book does not compel you to register, the law in MA does however. 03 FFL or not - you are supposed to tell the state of MA 'what you got'.
The FFL and bound book aspect are federal licenses and requirements and are entirely separate from MA law. The only thing that goes into a bound book for an 03 FFL are C&R's.
A couple of 03 FFL benefits are listed in this thread, many more listed in the C&R mega thread.

Yes. All firearm purchases need to be registered with an EFA-10. The only exception is firearms classified as antiques. Generally those are ones made around a date in the 1800s and need to be classified as such.

An antique firearm was made before 1 Jan 1899.

MA wants those registered too, which is why there’s an “Antique” classification on the efa-10. But since you can get them with nothing but a driver’s license and BATFE doesn’t really care about them, MA would need to know they’re here before they come after you for them. I’m not sure how they’d find out.

- - - Updated - - -

You bother with the B.B. because federal law says you must, as a condition of your FFL, do so.

It was also useful for getting the FFL discount from online retailers like Brownells and Midway USA, however
I'm not certain if they still offer it anymore, I do know that as time went on the discount's weren't as great
and it applied to fewer items.

Too bad to, my C&R paid for itself in the first 4-6 months from the savings.

Brownells still does.

An antique firearm was made before 1 Jan 1899.

MA wants those registered too, which is why there’s an “Antique” classification on the efa-10. But since you can get them with nothing but a driver’s license and BATFE doesn’t really care about them, MA would need to know they’re here before they come after you for them. I’m not sure how they’d find out.

There are a LOT of things on the FRB website wrt registration that are NOT required by law, dumb to do, but implied that YOU MUST COMPLY anyway. FRB did this on purpose and it fools most of the people since they are clueless about Mass gun laws. I teach how to deal with this in my Mass Gun Law Seminar . . . giving only what is required by law and nothing more!!

There are a LOT of things on the FRB website wrt registration that are NOT required by law, dumb to do, but implied that YOU MUST COMPLY anyway. FRB did this on purpose and it fools most of the people since they are clueless about Mass gun laws. I teach how to deal with this in my Mass Gun Law Seminar . . . giving only what is required by law and nothing more!!

QFT!

Note the entire section marked "registration".

QFT!

Note the entire section marked "registration".

Inheritance is even worse. According to the website you can NOT inherit a gun from anyone that didn't have an active MA Resident LTC at the time of death, so nobody from out of state or anyone that was sick and failed to renew.

This is in total violation of both state and federal laws on inheritance.

Back
Top Bottom