• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I need to move my pistol sights?

Punching paper at 25, 35ft with a P226. Overwhelming majority of shots hit ~2 inches right of aim and 1 inch low. I've put over 1K down range and trying to correct given the correction charts out there for a lefty - this issue appears to be tightening of my fingers and improper trigger finger postion. No luck.

My goal is to be a little more accurate - at what point do I consider moving the sights?

This. Also, have you had someone else shoot the gun? I can't tell whether you're concerned the sights are actually off, or if you want to move them to compensate for the way you shoot.......

Thanks - All advice is noted and I will continue to work on me before the pistol - more rounds downrange, less flinching, I will have someone else shoot it, and perhaps a 1911 some day [wink].

Regarding the compensation, yes that was what I was thinking. Given the way I shoot, if it "is what it is" for lack of a better description, I would like to move the sights to compensate for how I shoot.

Thanks,
J

Thanks - All advice is noted and I will continue to work on me before the pistol - more rounds downrange, less flinching, I will have someone else shoot it, and perhaps a 1911 some day [wink].

Regarding the compensation, yes that was what I was thinking. Given the way I shoot, if it "is what it is" for lack of a better description, I would like to move the sights to compensate for how I shoot.

Thanks,
J

Don't give up, there are some simple drills that will straiten you (if its you) out quickly.

Best bet is to have someone test your gun, see if they get the same results. I don't know where our located, but if you need some help, let me know. No offense, but it sounds like human error. Low right means your flinching(low) and your finger is too far on the trigger(pulling right) if our a righty.

Punching paper at 25, 35ft with a P226. Overwhelming majority of shots hit ~2 inches right of aim and 1 inch low. I've put over 1K down range and trying to correct given the correction charts out there for a lefty - this issue appears to be tightening of my fingers and improper trigger finger postion. No luck.

My goal is to be a little more accurate - at what point do I consider moving the sights?

Try shooting from a bench rest. See if the pattern is reproduced.

Thanks for the all the tips, guys. At the range (MRA) last week I met a great guy who helped confirm it was me - he put a nice group on the paper (sights were fine) and then showed me a few drills from the bench. Stood behind me through a few mags and yep - flinching, some anticipation, and need to work on the trigger finger. I picked up a Mosquito a while back so I'll be putting more time behind that to work out the kinks...

Thanks,
J.

It took me more than 1k rounds to get rid of my flinch. Keep slinging lead. Have someone mix snap caps into your mags.

Well when I saw you write that you are left handed I said "yup".

I am left handed also and I have had to move everyone of my guns sights.

There set up for those darn right handers [wink]

Keep working on your trigger finger and check your trigger poundage, if it is high that will not help.

Back
Top Bottom