• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I need a new buffer?

I currently have a pinned collapsible stock on my Stag Arms Model 1. I'm going to be putting an Ace Entry stock on it. I think the Stag came with a rifle length tube and buffer spring. If that's the case, I know I'll need to get a carbine buffer spring, but do I need to replace the buffer as well?

Standard carbine buffer should work fine.

If you want to be different--just for the sake of being different--the slightly heavier H Carbine buffer should also work but just use the standard.

Doesn't the model 1 come with a carbine length buffer setup? Are you looking to use the ACE Arfx-E(carbine length) stock or the ARFX (rifle length)? I'm assuming it's a 16" brl. so you ideally want a carbine length stock.

Correct, it has a 16" barrel. I plan on using the carbine length Ace stock. I thought with the MA version of Stag Model 1 it comes with a pinned collapsible stock with a rifle length buffer tube and spring. If anyone else could verify that would be great!

Correct, it has a 16" barrel. I plan on using the carbine length Ace stock. I thought with the MA version of Stag Model 1 it comes with a pinned collapsible stock with a rifle length buffer tube and spring. If anyone else could verify that would be great!

just depress the pin holding the buffer in and slide out the buffer and look at it. Long buffer with rib is the rifle buffer. Short one is the carbine:

2012-09-28212729.jpg

I don't see why they would use a rifle setup on a 16" barrel just because it's MA. Doesn't make sense. You have a carbine spring/ buffer and can reuse them in the ACE

I don't see why they would use a rifle setup on a 16" barrel just because it's MA. Doesn't make sense. You have a carbine spring/ buffer and can reuse them in the ACE

Bingo. If it's a pinned collapsible stock, you have a carbine buffer and spring. You can use them in your new Ace entry stock.

just depress the pin holding the buffer in and slide out the buffer and look at it. Long buffer with rib is the rifle buffer. Short one is the carbine:

2012-09-28212729.jpg

Oh ok, that helps! It's definitely a carbine length buffer and spring. Thanks everyone! NES For The Win Once Again!

Now that is just bizarre. I have never seen a buffer tube like that. Whether it uses a carbine or rifle buffer that I don't know, but that tube is weird. I guess the question would be where the stock is currently pinned. If it's pinned at the shortest position, then it definitely has a carbine buffer tube/buffer/etc. If it's all the way out, then it might be like that bizarro one in your link there.

This is a pic of my S&W M&P15t original stock setup. The buffer tube is rifle length, but only 7" of it is hollow. The rest is solid. Making the depth carbine length which is why it came with a carbine spring/ buffer. The pic down the tube shows where it transitions to solid 7" down. Hope this helps
View attachment 46180View attachment 46181

That thread basically is saying the stag has a rifle length buffer tube with a pinned collapsible stock. The problem is its a carbine tube with a solid extension so Stag can move the stock back further thus increasing the overall length of the weapon without affecting the carbine function. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is standard practice with S&W

Okay thanks--good to know. There are some odd ball AR setups!

Okay thanks--good to know. There are some odd ball AR setups!
I agree, odd. I actually had to dig those parts out because I started to second guess myself. Anything is possible though. Cant really know without seeing it first hand. This is my best guess as to what the OP has got going on.

You can get a spacer if you want to use a carbine length buffer in a rifle tube.

Carbine Buffer Spacer $10

B

You sure can, but let's not confuse him. [laugh]

Chris.Cal. Yes. It's a carbine spring/buffer in a modified, blocked rifle tube making the inside depth carbine length. Just like the pics I posted. You can reuse the spring and buffer in your Arfx-E.

Just like this. (Although I use a DPMS stock extender for a little more pull length)
View attachment 46281

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom