Do I have an HVAC issue or an electrical issue ?

Just think of all the hours I've saved over the years *not* maintaining it with zero downside (until now). I'm way ahead ;-)

#ac_skinflint

;-)

Takes less than an hour each year, system runs more efficiently, saving money and reduces wear/tear on system. I'm the skinflint 😆.

Last edited:
Meh, 28.4 is minimum circuit ampacity, not full load. 40 would be fine but I don’t think that’s the problem.

It could be contactor/fan/cap/even a failing safety switch. I would inspect all those first, but without eyes I think you need an hvac tech.

If it’s tripped a bunch of times recently, replace the breaker even if it doesn’t need to be.

Shit, it could be failing bus bar behind the breaker, I’ve been embarrassed by that before!!
Breakers should sized for the ampacity of the wire, not the size of a load.

Breakers should sized for the ampacity of the wire, not the size of a load.
Your statement is generally correct, but not in this case. There are exceptions to every rule.

You’re obviously not familiar with article 430 Motors, Motor Circuits, and Controllers, and article 440 Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment. You got some reading to do. Please don’t try to do any electrical work your self!!

Last edited:
Could be a bad start cap.
Could be low on refrigerant and there is icing
Could be a clogged condenser coil
Could be a clogged evaporator coil
could be a clogged return air filter
could be a bad txv
could be mice eating wires
could be a bad heater element if its a heat pump compressor
ect....

check filters, check for a clogged condenser coil, call a pro.
My 1st thought was clogged coil.

OP, did you get this fixed? What was the final diagnosis?
Not "fixed" in the sense that I took some action as a result of troubleshooting....but " more better" because I haven't tripped a breaker since the nasty hot weather got out of here and my AC went back to cycling on/off to maintain temp as opposed to running 24/7 without being able to reach desired temp (which admittedly is pretty cool).

So what does that prove ? My AC hates the swamp heat just as much as I do ;-)

I am on the list for local service tech (2 1/2 weeks out for a visit). Going to give it some thoughtful attention this weekend when I have enough time to devote to it using the collective advice of NES.

Your statement is generally correct, but not in this case. There are exceptions to every rule.

You’re obviously not familiar with article 430 Motors, Motor Circuits, and Controllers, and article 440 Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment. You got some reading to do. Please don’t try to do any electrical work your self!!
Classic #10s on a 50

Resolved....no, much improved..YES. Cleaned the condenser and combined with less than swamp like temps I am *sometimes* tripping a breaker.

Seems like when the unit is allowed the ability to cycle on and off normally, its all good. When temps really suck and the unit runs constantly because it cannot reach desired temp, that is where the trouble starts. The system was added after the fact and I am guessing its a little undersized. When temps hit the 90's...look out.

I kicked the can on the service call....deal with this for another couple weeks and then pick it back up come March.

My thought process on kicking the can on service is this:

Tech comes in next month and "fixes" my problem. I shut the A/C down for the season soon after...assume all is well, don't really know if issue is resolved cuz I'm not using it. Come late Spring/Early Summer I find issue really isn't resolved....place another pissed off call to tech.

Instead I chose, limp along for a few more weeks, shut A/C down and get A/C serviced next year knowing (and be able to prove it cuz I'm using it) that issue is resolved.

Skinflint A/C logic....perhaps ;-)

Tech comes in next month and "fixes" my problem. I shut the A/C down for the season soon after...assume all is well, don't really know if issue is resolved cuz I'm not using it. Come late Spring/Early Summer I find issue really isn't resolved....place another pissed off call to tech.

Instead I chose, limp along for a few more weeks, shut A/C down and get A/C serviced next year knowing (and be able to prove it cuz I'm using it) that issue is resolved.

I guess we have two different ideas on comfort. I’ll cycle the house two times to remove moisture then shut it off for the day when it’s still cool but humid.

Of course, if it were me, I wouldn't go and charge up a system for it to sit idle until May, risking the chance of something else happening, and losing refrigerant, etc. over the Winter. Heck, a tree could come down on the outside unit and destroy it, why fix it now to have something like that happen. That said, I'd make the appointment NOW for some time in April to get it out of the mothballs, and start bringing it up.

Ok, the bill has finally come due on my HVAC issue - service completed this week. Started with the normal PM stuff, clean/hose the condensor, new filter, then a deeper dive.

Multiple issues.

Refrigerant low - leak at the shrader valve - replaced.

Liquid line dryer/filter not functioning...connections rotted - replaced.

System was pressurized to check for any more leaks and as luck would have it, we tripped the breaker while running the system. Tech took closer look the at air handler and found signs of the blower motor shorting. Motor had some crispy wires that smell like burned toast o_O

Motor and capacitor replaced.

Feeling good that the problem is resolved....but July & August will tell the tale.

Did I wait too long to address this....YEP....but it looks like a case of all is well that ends well.

Cost was ~$1K

I tested my central AC system yesterday.
If I had any problems I wanted to know BEFORE the cooling season starts.

All is good.
I always do a test as soon as it hits 80. So that was a few weeks ago. Also checked for critter damage after my sister called me to ask why her system wasn't running. It turns out that mice chewed through the Tstat wiring at the condenser. It was a 10 minute repair to get it up and running again.

Ok, the bill has finally come due on my HVAC issue - service completed this week. Started with the normal PM stuff, clean/hose the condensor, new filter, then a deeper dive.

Multiple issues.

Refrigerant low - leak at the shrader valve - replaced.

Liquid line dryer/filter not functioning...connections rotted - replaced.

System was pressurized to check for any more leaks and as luck would have it, we tripped the breaker while running the system. Tech took closer look the at air handler and found signs of the blower motor shorting. Motor had some crispy wires that smell like burned toast o_O

Motor and capacitor replaced.

Feeling good that the problem is resolved....but July & August will tell the tale.

Did I wait too long to address this....YEP....but it looks like a case of all is well that ends well.

Cost was ~$1K
You said that the condenser breaker was tripping, but there was a blower motor short…so it was the air handler breaker tripping, not the condenser!! Tough to troubleshoot with the wrong info!

You said that the condenser breaker was tripping, but there was a blower motor short…so it was the air handler breaker tripping, not the condenser!! Tough to troubleshoot with the wrong info!
15 amps versus 30 amps or more.

Sounds like a capacitor or arced contacts. Amp meter time. 😂

15 amps versus 30 amps or more.

Sounds like a capacitor or arced contacts. Amp meter time. 😂
Amperage can vary depending on systems….condensers are almost always 2 pole, and most air handlers, but definitely not all, are single pole breakers. My air handler is single pole 20, the condensate pump is on same circuit.

This is a good reminder to do some maintenance.

With window units, how much wetness can they take? I'm guessing any part that hangs outside the window can be blasted with a hose nozzle, and stay away from the inside panel and that's about it, right?

Amperage can vary depending on systems….condensers are almost always 2 pole, and most air handlers, but definitely not all, are single pole breakers. My air handler is single pole 20, the condensate pump is on same circuit.
I was responsible for 12 separate systems in one single family house in MA with 3 boilers. A total of 9 in another on the cape with 2 boilers plus a bunch of smaller “normal” systems in smaller houses all owned privately by one family.

I’m pretty sure I know my way around the block between them. 😂

Back
Top Bottom