• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I have a problem here? I've heard of flame cutting but sheeesh! Opinions Please!

Hooper

NES Member
I just bought this S&W Model 43C .22lr last weekend. New. Two trips to the range and only 100 rounds through it and this is what's happening! I cleaned the gun before and after.

I have heard of flame cutting the top strap but this looks far beyond anything I have seen. Ran only high quality CCI rounds. We are only talking about .22 here!

Does this look normal? Any help greatly appreciated!:(

Flame2_zpsc1b54249.jpg

Flame1_zpsfa939d39.jpg

Flame5_zps7818390e.jpg

Looks like crud buildup to me, with a "cleaner" section down the middle.

ETA: Damn, beat me to it [smile]

Also ETA: The gun looks like rubbish. I'm in WMA, give me $5 and I'll dispose of it for you.

Just lead deposit. Flame cutting usually only occurs with magnum centerfire rounds and is self-limiting and rarely a problem.

I concur with others... lead deposits. 'Why' is another matter. Being a S&W it could be any number of QC issues.

I concur with others... lead deposits. 'Why' is another matter. Being a S&W it could be any number of QC issues.

Misaligned cylinder? Just a guess.

My $5 offer still stands.

ETA: That ammo is probably bad. You better give that to me, too.

Thats not cut just lead build up. Seems a bit excessive for such a low round count but may get better as you break it in.

You have a lot of nerve claiming you're helping the op by taking away that gun and ammo. Any reputable professional would know that all of his other guns have been contaminated and would need to be removed as well. Do the job right or don't do it at all :)

Misaligned cylinder? Just a guess.

My $5 offer still stands.

ETA: That ammo is probably bad. You better give that to me, too.

Is that a normal amount of buildup after 100 rounds? If I saw that I would be thinking excessive cylinder gap or not lining up properly. I've never owned a wheelgun so I personally don't know.

Is this much buildup normal for a S&W 43C?

Not normal for any 22 rimfire revolver I've shot, I too suspect something is amiss.

Anybody here have a S&W Model 43C who can comment on whether this is normal for that gun?

I just opened my Model 34 2" and looked at the top strap. I have a smaller amount of similar deposits and my gun shoots well, so I'd say that it's normal. Give it a good cleaning and shoot it some more. Also, if you are using lead bullets, try switching to plated rounds when .22 becomes available again. As others have pointed out, it's not flame cutting, it's lead deposits.

Back
Top Bottom