• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I ‘need’ a 45/70 trapdoor Springfield?

Unfortunately you can’t hang it on the wall like other antiques. It being a cartridge gun.

Shoot my black powder reloads out of mine. Big thump and smoke:)
Did they update this when they added stun guns. I don’t remember it calling out matchlock and flintlock. I beleive as long as it was older than 1899 it was good. Cartridge replicas had to be locked up. Of course I can’t find any copies of the old law on line

Just an FYI, that one is a Model 1888 not 1884. IMO the 1888 tends to be the more desirable version. The rod bayonet is cool, you press the button near the muzzle and pull it out till it locks in place.
The 1884's had rod bayonets too. They are cool but make a much better cleaning rod than a bayonet.

So, I’d kinda sorta already made up my mind that I did want a 45/70 trapdoor before I started this thread.
I was just looking for confirmation from folks who actually owned one that they’d be as fun as I expected as I’ve never even handled one before.
For the most part the love y’all had for your trapdoor rifles shined thru.
So I’ve been convinced to pull the trigger and I’m picking one up Sunday.
Now comes trying to find all the components I’m gonna need to reload 45/70.
Seeing as y’all are partly responsible, any help sourcing brass, LRP, or projectiles would be greatly appreciated.

So what are we supposed to say ? Do you want us to agree and talk you into a TD or disagree and talk you out of a TD ? "Man does not need any guns, man simply want's guns"

I have a really nice 1884 shooter , and TD's really put a unique smile on your face when you handload using the "holy black" !

The 1884's had rod bayonets too. They are cool but make a much better cleaning rod than a bayonet.

An 1884 with a rod bayonet is a model 1888. There were about 1000 experimental 1884s made with a different style rod bayonet but those would be exceedingly rare.

You don't identify the model based on what is stamped on the breech block, its the configuration of the entire rifle that determines the model.

I bought an 1884 cut down from a guy in Old Lyme CT for 100 bucks. It is in very good shape. Had surface rust on the receiver and barrel and as soon as I took some CLP and fine steel wool to it, the eagle came right out along with Springfield and the dates. Stock has aging marks, no cracks, its all complete, cartouche is visible. Shot government ammo from the day I bought it. Actually went to the guys house to buy a couple black powder pistols he had for sale and I asked him if he anything else he was selling. Said he had an old rifle that's been sitting around he was thinking of getting rid of and pulled it out. I just looked at it, asked how much and said 100 bucks and it needs a good cleaning and will make a nice conversation piece!!!

Granted the 45-70 is an excellent, established round, but the trap door is the LAST rifle I would ever buy in that caliber …

And yes, 10-grns of unique is an ideal cast bullet load, amongst others, at least for smokeless powdah.

Did they update this when they added stun guns. I don’t remember it calling out matchlock and flintlock. I beleive as long as it was older than 1899 it was good. Cartridge replicas had to be locked up. Of course I can’t find any copies of the old law on line
I believe it has something to do about the 45/70 still being a relevant or modern cartridge. Or something like that.

No, but life on just what we would be pretty miserable! But a Sharps in .50-140 would be way cooler…
I like the way you think.

For practical purposes, I would stick with the 45 family 45/70 - 90 - 120 ... only because they can use the same bullet = less molds and less casting.

But the 50-140 is bad a**. I might search for one in 2022.

Back
Top Bottom