Do as I say.......

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
A Bloomberg Anti-Gun Mayor Is Charged With Carrying Weapon
By JILL GARDINER
Staff Reporter of the Sun
November 22, 2006

One of the members of Mayor Bloomberg's anti-gun coalition has pleaded to charges of illegally carrying a gun into a church, onto a college campus, and into a park.
The mayor of Jackson, Miss., Frank Melton, is one of more than 100 mayors in the coalition Mr. Bloomberg and the mayor of Boston, Thomas Menino, created to push for stronger gun control laws.

But, last week, Mr. Melton — who according to news reports, carries firearms at all times and has a reputation for being tough on crime — pleaded no contest to carrying a concealed gun on the campus of a Mississippi College School of Law. He also pleaded guilty to carrying a gun into a church and into a park, also illegal under state law. The first was reduced from a felony charge to a misdemeanor; the latter two were misdemeanors.

Yesterday the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a firearm industry trade group, called on Mr. Bloomberg to insist on Mr. Melton's resignation.

"I write to inquire whether you, as co-founder of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns coalition, will follow the lead of the firearms industry and demand Mayor Melton resign from public office?" the letter said. "Will you at least take the internal steps necessary to bar Mayor Melton from participating in your coalition?"

A spokeswoman for Mr. Bloomberg, Virginia Lam, called the National Shooting Sports Foundation letter a "publicity stunt."

"No one is above the law," Ms. Lam said, "but instead of mounting a public relations campaign to take down a tough opponent of illegal guns, the NSSF should be working with us to help keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals."

Ms. Lam declined to say if Mr. Bloomberg had talked to the Jackson mayor, but said Mr. Melton was still invited to a planned conference the coalition is holding in January in Washington, D.C.

" Mayor Melton has been an important member since the beginning and we look forward to his continued contribution to the coalition," she said via e-mail.

The Mississippi attorney general, James Hood, was considering having Mr. Melton resign as part of a plea agreement, but the final deal included six months of probation instead and a $1,500 fine.

Mr. Melton still faces a batch of felony charges centered on accusations that he ordered a group to destroy a duplex with sledgehammers because of the drug problem there. Calls to Mr. Melton's office were not returned yesterday.

Read all 'bout it:
http://www.nysun.com/article/43999

Sickening but not unexpected. They are all hypocrites. Either they are rich and pay others to carry guns to protect them or they reserve rights to themselves and carry anyway. Or, like this idiot, they simply break the law whenever it suits them.

Bastards.

Wait...was he carrying illegally, or he just went somewhere he wasn't supposed to but was a legal gun owner? I'm confused.....

It appears that under Mississippi law all of those places are prohibited by law. That is, even a legal CCW holder can not carry into any of those facilities. So, even if he had a permit, he was violating the terms of issuance.

Notice that the spokeswoman neatly dodged the issue and changed the subject. This guy is now a criminal and should have his permit pulled. Of course, he probably won't being as he's a politician and all.

Gary

Notice that the spokeswoman neatly dodged the issue and changed the subject. This guy is now a criminal and should have his permit pulled. Of course, he probably won't being as he's a politician and all.

Gary

Never mind permit pulled- he should be INCARCERATED, considering that's
most likely what would happen if "joe commoner" did what he did. I would
wish for once that one of these pigf*ckers would have to deal with the pointy
end of the shitty laws that they love and coddle so much. Hopefully the
f-bomb train has only started for this miscreant.

-Mike

It appears that under Mississippi law all of those places are prohibited by law. That is, even a legal CCW holder can not carry into any of those facilities. So, even if he had a permit, he was violating the terms of issuance.

Thanks Gary...it wasn't a clear read as to what he did and since he's a flaming liberal, I figured they'd down play it.

Being a hypocrite is a prerequisite of being a liberal...

No truer words were spoken.

Thanks Gary...it wasn't a clear read as to what he did and since he's a flaming liberal, I figured they'd down play it.

It's also unclear if you don't have the context of the local laws. The school thing would be illegal in MA, but the other two would only be if you were found out, asked to leave, and refused. In which case it would be trespassing.

Gary

Never mind permit pulled- he should be INCARCERATED, considering that's
most likely what would happen if "joe commoner" did what he did.
-Mike

I really don't think that anyone who didn't have a previous criminal record would be jailed for this. It doesn't seem that many first time criminals go to prison, unless their crime in really serious. Even then, it's pretty rare.

Gary

Reminds me of the time our senior senator got stopped at the airport in D.C. while going to central america on a "fact finding" tour. (Remember the Sandanistas?) because his bodyguards were carrying automatic weapons.

Yes this figures, but they really need him at the coalition:

"No one is above the law," Ms. Lam said, "but instead of mounting a public relations campaign to take down a tough opponent of illegal guns, the NSSF should be working with us to help keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals."

Where else are they going to get an expert opinion from a criminal? [rolleyes] [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom