• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY wet tumbler for less than $100.

Now that I know it works I'm in the process of hooking it up to a ford f-250 windshield wiper motor that I got brand new on e-bay for $29. I'll rig up a pulley and belt system off the motor and onto the tumbler.
Its 12v so I'll use a converter to run it on 115v power. This will enable me to change speeds with a 12v controller. The wiper motor should have no problem running for 2 hours at a time.

VIDEO REMOVED: SEE UPDATED VIDEO BELOW .

Last edited:
Would like to see video. Is this some kind of mini setup like a Thumlers Model T? I’ll be surprised if a wiper motor can withstand rolling a thirty pound cylinder for two hours.

Would like to see video. Is this some kind of mini setup like a Thumlers Model T? I’ll be surprised if a wiper motor can withstand rolling a thirty pound cylinder for two hours.
It should do fine. Wipers run for well over 2 hours at a time and its got plenty of torque. Ever try to hold your wipers while they're running?
Heres the updated model.

Last edited:
Great yankee ingenuity and thrift in that build! In terms of regular use, that does seem like an awful lot of water, media, Dawn, lemon juice for 150 cases. Have you tried cleaning with less, maybe a quart of water, 1 lb of media, a couple drops of detergent, and maybe a tablespoon of vinegar for acid? Wondering how effective that would be . . .

Great yankee ingenuity and thrift in that build! In terms of regular use, that does seem like an awful lot of water, media, Dawn, lemon juice for 150 cases. Have you tried cleaning with less, maybe a quart of water, 1 lb of media, a couple drops of detergent, and maybe a tablespoon of vinegar for acid? Wondering how effective that would be . . .

Yeah, I have cleaned with less detergent, lemon juice and baking soda and time tumbling and it does the job too, but have always filled it with water. Not as much water as it seems, it only holds about 1 1/2 gallons. Used to much of the secret ingredients this time but a few minutes in the shower rinsed them off nicely.
It seems to take about 1/2 hour to clean up no matter what.

Thing is, I think I will try some dry media in it next time. Walnut or even black beauty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom